Chipset Update Program

peter

I have a P4C800-E Deluxe in a PC running WinXP Pro SP1.

Everything has been working fine for months. When I first built the PC I
never installed the Intel Chipset Update Program / driver. For various
reasons I now have to install it.

Today I learned the hard way that installing this driver on a PC that
already has lots of applications and other drivers installed may cause the
system to crash. That's what happened to me -- after installing this
driver my PC would no longer boot. Apparently this driver has to be
installed right after the OS but before any applications. (Fortunately I
created an image file of my hard drive this morning so I was able to set
everything back and the PC is running again.)

Before I do a clean install of WinXP Pro (and all my apps) does anyone
know of a way to install the Intel Chipset driver on a WinXP Pro PC that
already has lots of apps - without crashing the system?

--
**Remove Xs to reply by e-mail**

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

It's hard to say exactly what caused your system to fail. I have installed
the chipset drivers right after OS install, and after installing many apps,
and never had any problems in either instance. Just in case, make sure you
installed the proper chipset drivers.

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009242.htm