Odd PPC MS Word Problem...

June 15, 2004 1:28:07 AM

Very colluded problem trying to use PPC Word (2003) on my iPAQ 4350...

If I attempt to open a new Word document, by any means ('New' option
on the desktop, or going through the Start menu), it just doesn't
launch a new document - *nothing* happens.

I _can_ open an existing document and (this is where it gets weird)
any subsequent attempts to open a new document causes the last open
document to be reopened.

I'm trying to avoid a hard reset because of the hassle of reinstalling
and configuring all my software and the duplicate Outlook entries that
often occur.

Any help would be appreciated.

A_C

More about : odd ppc word problem

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 4:52:14 PM

"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Very colluded problem trying to use PPC Word (2003) on my iPAQ 4350...
>
> If I attempt to open a new Word document, by any means ('New' option
> on the desktop, or going through the Start menu), it just doesn't
> launch a new document - *nothing* happens.
>
> I _can_ open an existing document and (this is where it gets weird)
> any subsequent attempts to open a new document causes the last open
> document to be reopened.
>
> I'm trying to avoid a hard reset because of the hassle of reinstalling
> and configuring all my software and the duplicate Outlook entries that
> often occur.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> A_C

You haven't said if you've tried a soft reset.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 6:16:39 PM

> Any help would be appreciated.

Well you can always do a hard reset, but then you will have to reinstall all
your apps and copy other data.

--

..: Jakub Kanczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:52:14 +0100, "AlanS"
<news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

>You haven't said if you've tried a soft reset.

Yes, no less than 20 times.

New wrinkle... I can successfully open a new doc if the destination is
the memory card, or iPAQ file store - but still not main memory.

Tech support was no help at all. Essentially, if a soft reset doesn't
solve a problem, then the suggestion is to do a hard reset and rebuild
the system. Why do they bother staffing a support line if that's the
extent of their ability to troubleshoot? They might as well just have
a looped recording.

I'm reluctant to do that without knowing why this is happening,
because there's a very good change the anomaly will be reintroduced.

A_C
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 4:38:27 PM

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:52:14 +0100, "AlanS"
> <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >You haven't said if you've tried a soft reset.
>
> Yes, no less than 20 times.
>
> New wrinkle... I can successfully open a new doc if the destination is
> the memory card, or iPAQ file store - but still not main memory.
>
> Tech support was no help at all. Essentially, if a soft reset doesn't
> solve a problem, then the suggestion is to do a hard reset and rebuild
> the system. Why do they bother staffing a support line if that's the
> extent of their ability to troubleshoot? They might as well just have
> a looped recording.
>
> I'm reluctant to do that without knowing why this is happening,
> because there's a very good change the anomaly will be reintroduced.
>
> A_C

Support seems to correct, there doesn't seem to be a magic fix and the
advice given seems correct. I would try a couple of things before going the
whole way though:

A hard reset does seem to be the next area for trial. Backup fully
beforehand.
After a hard reset and before restoring you can try Word to see if it is
working correctly or there is a machine error before going through all the
other actions.
This would mean a manufacturer repair, or live with the problem. In this
case other things could go wrong so repair is probably the sensible choice.

Then, rather than rebuild the system try restoring the backup first. If Word
doesn't work correctly you've got few choices- follow their advice or live
with the problem.

Finally is the system rebuild.

Good Luck, let us know where the problem lies if you find it, it may help
others.
June 17, 2004 9:39:28 PM

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:38:27 +0100, "AlanS"
<news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

>Support seems to correct, there doesn't seem to be a magic fix and the
>advice given seems correct.

Well sure... You can always burn the house down for an infestation of
termites. It'll definitely solve the problem, but one might try an
exterminator first.

I know that ultimately I'll probably end up doing a hard reset, but
the limited scope of tech support really irks me. It's probably a
parameter in the registry that just needs to be changed, nothing more.
It's not symptomatic of a corrupted file - nothing's crashing, or
locking up.

> I would try a couple of things before going the
>whole way though.

Thanks, I'm acutely familiar with regression testing. I plan to do
just as you suggest.

I'll report my results.

A_C
!