Asus A8V Deluxe SATA not found in WIndows XP

We just put together a box with the Asus A*V Deluxe motherboard. The
bios is set to use IDE and not Raid. We have a Plextor DVD SATA drive
plugged into the SATA_1 and we have tried the SATA_2. On bootup bios
sees the Plextor drive but when we get into windows it can't see it.
We've installed the Promise controller drivers and in device manager
both

"WinXP Promise SATA 378 IDE Controller"
"Promise SATA console SCSI processor"

under SCSI Raid Controllers. Both are working. What could be wrong
here?
9 answers Last reply
More about asus deluxe sata found windows

    Goto Control Panel / Admin Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management

    Do the hdd's show there? If they do, select it right mouse / format

    They should then appear in My Computer.

    "Ryan Hubbard" <ryanmhuc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > We just put together a box with the Asus A*V Deluxe motherboard. The
    > bios is set to use IDE and not Raid. We have a Plextor DVD SATA drive
    > plugged into the SATA_1 and we have tried the SATA_2. On bootup bios
    > sees the Plextor drive but when we get into windows it can't see it.
    > We've installed the Promise controller drivers and in device manager
    > both
    >
    > "WinXP Promise SATA 378 IDE Controller"
    > "Promise SATA console SCSI processor"
    >
    > under SCSI Raid Controllers. Both are working. What could be wrong
    > here?

    Paul thanks for the reply but it's not a Hard drive it's a Plextor DVD drive.

    In article <ab43e670.0408250739.45c4d4a2@posting.google.com>,
    ryanmhuc@yahoo.com (Ryan Hubbard) wrote:

    > Paul thanks for the reply but it's not a Hard drive it's a Plextor DVD
    > drive.
    >
    > "Paul" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
    > > Goto Control Panel / Admin Tools / Computer Management / Disk
    > > Management
    > >
    > > Do the hdd's show there? If they do, select it right mouse / format
    > >
    > > They should then appear in My Computer.
    > >

    > > "Ryan Hubbard" <ryanmhuc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > We just put together a box with the Asus A*V Deluxe motherboard.
    > > > The
    > > > bios is set to use IDE and not Raid. We have a Plextor DVD SATA
    > > > drive
    > > > plugged into the SATA_1 and we have tried the SATA_2. On bootup
    > > > bios
    > > > sees the Plextor drive but when we get into windows it can't see it.
    > > > We've installed the Promise controller drivers and in device manager
    > > > both
    > > >
    > > > "WinXP Promise SATA 378 IDE Controller"
    > > > "Promise SATA console SCSI processor"
    > > >
    > > > under SCSI Raid Controllers. Both are working. What could be wrong
    > > > here?

    Not sure I picked up all the previous posts.

    If loading XP or 2K you need to press F6 in the install to load the
    Promise drivers.

    If using XP64 beta, AFAIK, you can only use it with RAID, again using F6
    after setting up the RAID array. You need special 64 bitpromise drivers
    for this.

    John

    Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.

    Go to the same place. Give it a letter (change drive letter and path)
    Ryan. It should appear

    "John Hollingsworth" <jwh@cix.co.uk> wrote in message
    > In article <ab43e670.0408250739.45c4d4a2@posting.google.com>,
    > ryanmhuc@yahoo.com (Ryan Hubbard) wrote:
    >
    >> Paul thanks for the reply but it's not a Hard drive it's a Plextor DVD
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> "Paul" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
    >> > Goto Control Panel / Admin Tools / Computer Management / Disk
    >> > Management
    >> >
    >> > Do the hdd's show there? If they do, select it right mouse / format
    >> >
    >> > They should then appear in My Computer.
    >> >

    >> > "Ryan Hubbard" <ryanmhuc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Not sure I picked up all the previous posts.
    >
    > If loading XP or 2K you need to press F6 in the install to load the
    > Promise drivers.
    >
    > If using XP64 beta, AFAIK, you can only use it with RAID, again using F6
    > after setting up the RAID array. You need special 64 bitpromise drivers
    > for this.
    >
    > John
    >
    > Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.

    Thank you both for you responses but first the drive does not appear
    in the device manager so I can not assign it a drive letter. This is
    the problem. The drive does not appear in Windows XP 32 bit edition.
    Windows is already installed when we put in the Serial ATA Plextor DVD
    drive. The Promise drivers have been installed in windows
    successfully but it still does not appear. Any ideas?

    "Paul" <noone@home.com> wrote in message news:<cgituo$59q$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
    > Go to the same place. Give it a letter (change drive letter and path)
    > Ryan. It should appear
    >

    > "John Hollingsworth" <jwh@cix.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > In article <ab43e670.0408250739.45c4d4a2@posting.google.com>,
    > > ryanmhuc@yahoo.com (Ryan Hubbard) wrote:
    > >
    > >> Paul thanks for the reply but it's not a Hard drive it's a Plextor DVD
    > >> drive.

    > > Not sure I picked up all the previous posts.
    > >
    > > If loading XP or 2K you need to press F6 in the install to load the
    > > Promise drivers.
    > >
    > > If using XP64 beta, AFAIK, you can only use it with RAID, again using F6
    > > after setting up the RAID array. You need special 64 bitpromise drivers
    > > for this.
    > >
    > > John
    > >
    > > Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.

    I think you'll find that the problem is that your Plextor DVD drive is one
    of the first SATA ATAPI devices to become available and (as you'll see
    from page 2-25 of the A8V Deluxe manual) the Promise SATA20378 does not
    support ATAPI drives (either PATA or SATA).

    You can only use the SATA20378 for hard drives (PATA or SATA) - any ATAPI
    devices (DVD drives, CD drives, etc) will have to be put on the other
    (VIA) controller. The manual does not say that this VIA controller does
    not support ATAPI devices so I presume that it should work OK on that one.

    Mark

    In article <ab43e670.0408241800.7babd1df@posting.google.com>,
    ryanmhuc@yahoo.com (Ryan Hubbard) wrote:

    > We just put together a box with the Asus A*V Deluxe motherboard. The
    > bios is set to use IDE and not Raid. We have a Plextor DVD SATA drive
    > plugged into the SATA_1 and we have tried the SATA_2. On bootup bios
    > sees the Plextor drive but when we get into windows it can't see it.
    > We've installed the Promise controller drivers and in device manager
    > both
    >
    > "WinXP Promise SATA 378 IDE Controller"
    > "Promise SATA console SCSI processor"
    >
    > under SCSI Raid Controllers. Both are working. What could be wrong
    > here?

    BUT does it show under control panel/admin tools/computer management
    / disk management? if it does, highlight the DVD then give it a letter.

    This isnt the device manager.

    Is there an icon under the above path, with no letter in it?

    If there is, highlight it / rmb/give it a letter. Or go into the BIOS
    Is there an option for enhanced mode change it to this
    and if theres an option in BIOS for PATA/SATA change it to
    this as well. See what happens.

    On 25 Aug 2004 08:39:27 -0700, ryanmhuc@yahoo.com (Ryan Hubbard)
    wrote:

    >Paul thanks for the reply but it's not a Hard drive it's a Plextor DVD drive.

    IIRC my promise raid controller does NOT support optical drives on my
    P4 C880-E DLX.
    Check, if it does on your board
    HTH
    Armin

    Ryan Hubbard Wrote:
    > We just put together a box with the Asus A*V Deluxe motherboard. The
    > bios is set to use IDE and not Raid. We have a Plextor DVD SATA drive
    > plugged into the SATA_1 and we have tried the SATA_2. On bootup bios
    > sees the Plextor drive but when we get into windows it can't see it.
    > We've installed the Promise controller drivers and in device manager
    > both
    >
    > "WinXP Promise SATA 378 IDE Controller"
    > "Promise SATA console SCSI processor"
    >
    > under SCSI Raid Controllers. Both are working. What could be wrong
    > here?
    Hello Ryan,

    I think the SATA_1 and SATA_2 connectors you are referring to are
    connected to the VIA southbridge, not the Promise controller (those are
    marked as SATA_RAID1 and SATA_RAID2 in the manual). If so, it's the VIA
    drivers you need, not the Promise. I installed my VIA drivers from the
    CD, using the 4-in-1 bundle from VIA. I would expect the device to be
    recognized on that channel once the drivers are installed.

    Post back with your results!

    Regards,

    - Leo

    --