  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 25, 2004 8:35:07 AM

Hi

I have an ASUS P4B533-E, Leadtek GeForce 3 Ti-200, Audigy 1, Maxtor 40Gb
HDD, FDD and Samsung DVD/CD-RW.

Everytime i try to boot some of the POST info becomes garbled with
strange characters. I will not boot from a Linux or Windows XP CD. It
just hangs.

I have reset the CMOS to no avail. Checked all connections. Do i need
to RMA it or is there something i overlooked.

Thanks
NBK

More about : p4b533 hangs post

August 25, 2004 8:39:07 AM

In article <%FUWc.1654$6h6.105281@twister.southeast.rr.com>, NBK
<die@spammer.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have an ASUS P4B533-E, Leadtek GeForce 3 Ti-200, Audigy 1, Maxtor 40Gb
> HDD, FDD and Samsung DVD/CD-RW.
>
> Everytime i try to boot some of the POST info becomes garbled with
> strange characters. I will not boot from a Linux or Windows XP CD. It
> just hangs.
>
> I have reset the CMOS to no avail. Checked all connections. Do i need
> to RMA it or is there something i overlooked.
>
> Thanks
> NBK

Just about anything could be busted.

It could be a bad power supply (a weak rail). If the POST screens
become garbled consistently each time, then that probably isn't the
problem, as a power problem would make for more random corruption.

It could be a bad BIOS flash chip. Some of them get "bit rot",
where some of the bits in the flash chip get corrupted. Reflashing
the BIOS would fix it, but of course that depends on whether the
POST sequence lasts long enough for you to boot DOS from a floppy.
Alternately, you could get a replacement flash chip from badflash.com
or from Asus.

It might be bad memory, depending on how far into the POST sequence
it gets.

You may need to simplify your configuration and unplug anything
you don't need, to get it started. Reduce yourself to one stick
of ram, maybe a floppy drive for running memtest86 or flashing the
BIOS. Although the symptoms don't really point at the video card,
try another one if you've got one (I'm assuming the processor
renders characters into the frame buffer, and the video card
doesn't actually do that itself. Not really sure if, while in
the BIOS, the video card is considered to be just a bit map for
the processor to draw into or not.)

Paul
August 25, 2004 8:43:49 PM

Paul wrote:
> In article <%FUWc.1654$6h6.105281@twister.southeast.rr.com>, NBK
> <die@spammer.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I have an ASUS P4B533-E, Leadtek GeForce 3 Ti-200, Audigy 1, Maxtor 40Gb
>>HDD, FDD and Samsung DVD/CD-RW.
>>
>>Everytime i try to boot some of the POST info becomes garbled with
>>strange characters. I will not boot from a Linux or Windows XP CD. It
>>just hangs.
>>
>>I have reset the CMOS to no avail. Checked all connections. Do i need
>>to RMA it or is there something i overlooked.
>>
>>Thanks
>>NBK
>

> Just about anything could be busted.
>
> It could be a bad power supply (a weak rail). If the POST screens
> become garbled consistently each time, then that probably isn't the
> problem, as a power problem would make for more random corruption.
>
> It could be a bad BIOS flash chip. Some of them get "bit rot",
> where some of the bits in the flash chip get corrupted. Reflashing
> the BIOS would fix it, but of course that depends on whether the
> POST sequence lasts long enough for you to boot DOS from a floppy.
> Alternately, you could get a replacement flash chip from badflash.com
> or from Asus.
>
> It might be bad memory, depending on how far into the POST sequence
> it gets.
>
> You may need to simplify your configuration and unplug anything
> you don't need, to get it started. Reduce yourself to one stick
> of ram, maybe a floppy drive for running memtest86 or flashing the
> BIOS. Although the symptoms don't really point at the video card,
> try another one if you've got one (I'm assuming the processor
> renders characters into the frame buffer, and the video card
> doesn't actually do that itself. Not really sure if, while in
> the BIOS, the video card is considered to be just a bit map for
> the processor to draw into or not.)
>
> Paul
I swapped out everything and still no joy. I am going to try to RMA
this Mobo back to ASUS.

Thanks
NBK
!