Stop 0x0000008e on Asus A8V

I'm having the strangest problem with a newly built system. I get that
stop error about 10 seconds after logging into a fresh WindowsXP
install. No file is referenced on the bluescreen, only additional
memory addresses (0xC0000005,0x8060AB13,0xB21F79A0,0x00000000)

Hardware:
-Asus A8v Deluxe
-Athlon 3500+
-ATI x800 pro video
-Promise S150 SX4 PCI RAID controller, with 3 new 200gb Maxtor SATA
drives setup as RAID-5 (latest firmware and driver)
-2x512 Corsair TwinXL 3200 sticks.
-Antec trupower 480 PS

Tried the following, with no luck:

-Updated to latest BIOS (including the beta 1.6.006)
-Latest Hyperion drivers are loaded
-4.7 and 4.9 Catalyst drivers tried
-Memtest86 run for 6 hours, no errors
-nothing in event viewer sheds any light
-all startup files stripped from startup folder and registry.
-Changed BIOS settings from "Auto" to manual, and bumped memory
voltage to 2.7v.
-dropped CPU voltage to 1.5v
-Changed BIOS from AGP 8x to 4x
-Temp on Asusprobe is in the low 30's C.
-disabled Cool n Quiet and Qfan

It does boot to safe mode, but it has frozen (not bluescreened) in
safe mode a couple of times.

What gets me is *when* it happens...I can literally count to 10 before
it blows up after logging in. That's gotta be a clue, but I don't know
what it's telling me.
(edit: I left it at the login prompt for about 15 min...then when I
finally logged it, I got the stop error immediately)

I'm about to strip another system for parts to swap out, but I thought
I'd ask here first, since I'm not looking forward to hours of part
swapping and OS reinstalling

TIA for any thoughts

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Paul,

I had the same some time ago. Try to get rid of 2 of the 3 Maxtor disks
first. Problem is windows still got real real problems with big hdds. I had
two samsung 160gb on 2 machines that would loose there complete data after
some time from one moment to the other. I tried everything, did not work.
Than I did two things and they are running fine for 7 months now.

1) no partition is exeeding 80 GBs.
2) Have you installed and/ or entered the BIGLBA Setting in the registry?

Googel for it and I think your problems will go away.

And one final word: It doesn´t matter wether the disks are connected to the
mb or a controller, I tried both. Only the partition and the patch solved it
för me. I´m not sure about the partitions, because I installe the partitions
first ans then applied the registry setting, So it can be that the patch is
all you need.

Here it is in German, You only need to set the setting in the regtree, so
this is in english, do not worry about the rest..

Bei XP das SP1 nötig, bei W2K das SP4. Bei W2K noch der
Registrierungseintrag (Binärwert) EnableBigLba=1 in folgendem Schlüssel:

HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/atapi/Parameters

Best regards Frank

Frank, thanks for the reply. I tried adding the EnableBigLba value to
1, along with the atapi.sys update in that MSKB article, but no dice.

Then, in a fit of temporary insanity, I decided I'd try XP SP2 just to
get the latest of everything. It seemed to work for a couple of boots,
now it won't even boot, asking for the XP CD to initiate a repair.

Note that I haven't yet yanked the Promise S150 SX4 RAID controller,
so I was trying all that with the original RAID-5 setup with 3x200gb
drives.

Next up is yanking that controller and going with a single drive.

Paul

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:46:21 +0200, "Frank" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote:

>Hi Paul,
>
>I had the same some time ago. Try to get rid of 2 of the 3 Maxtor disks
>first. Problem is windows still got real real problems with big hdds. I had
>two samsung 160gb on 2 machines that would loose there complete data after
>some time from one moment to the other. I tried everything, did not work.
>Than I did two things and they are running fine for 7 months now.
>
>1) no partition is exeeding 80 GBs.
>2) Have you installed and/ or entered the BIGLBA Setting in the registry?
>
>Googel for it and I think your problems will go away.
>
>And one final word: It doesn´t matter wether the disks are connected to the
>mb or a controller, I tried both. Only the partition and the patch solved it
>för me. I´m not sure about the partitions, because I installe the partitions
>first ans then applied the registry setting, So it can be that the patch is
>all you need.
>
>Here it is in German, You only need to set the setting in the regtree, so
>this is in english, do not worry about the rest..
>
>Bei XP das SP1 nötig, bei W2K das SP4. Bei W2K noch der
>Registrierungseintrag (Binärwert) EnableBigLba=1 in folgendem Schlüssel:
>
>HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/atapi/Parameters
>
>Best regards Frank

Paul

Splendid

In article <ssfsi05jt3pt38e9k601f5ab14n4sr6o38@4ax.com>, PaulT
<pt2177o@yah00.com> wrote:

> Frank, thanks for the reply. I tried adding the EnableBigLba value to
> 1, along with the atapi.sys update in that MSKB article, but no dice.
>
> Then, in a fit of temporary insanity, I decided I'd try XP SP2 just to
> get the latest of everything. It seemed to work for a couple of boots,
> now it won't even boot, asking for the XP CD to initiate a repair.
>
> Note that I haven't yet yanked the Promise S150 SX4 RAID controller,
> so I was trying all that with the original RAID-5 setup with 3x200gb
> drives.
>
> Next up is yanking that controller and going with a single drive.
>
> Paul

I tried searching in Google for "0xC0000005 0x8060AB13" as two
separate terms, and actually found a couple of hits. Some of the
posts are in foreign languages, and both Google language_tools and
babelfish aren't working right now (a coincidence ?).

The counting to ten, suggests to me that some helper tasks that
start up and live in the tool tray, are causing the problem. It
could be a monitor program or a control program for the
Promise card, for instance. I think people use something called
msconfig.exe to manage the stuff that runs at startup.

This page has a general discussion on msconfig and startup tasks:
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

I suppose the problem will be, getting msconfig to run before the
thing crashes. Maybe starting in safe mode will help ?

Unless the error positively points to the Promise card and your
array, I wouldn't panic yet. The RAID array should show up as
a SCSI emulation, and SCSI doesn't have the same disk size issues
as IDE does. At least that is what I've read.

Just some ideas,
Paul

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:46:21 +0200, "Frank" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote:
>
> >Hi Paul,
> >
> >I had the same some time ago. Try to get rid of 2 of the 3 Maxtor disks
> >first. Problem is windows still got real real problems with big hdds. I had
> >two samsung 160gb on 2 machines that would loose there complete data after
> >some time from one moment to the other. I tried everything, did not work.
> >Than I did two things and they are running fine for 7 months now.
> >
> >1) no partition is exeeding 80 GBs.
> >2) Have you installed and/ or entered the BIGLBA Setting in the registry?
> >
> >Googel for it and I think your problems will go away.
> >
> >And one final word: It doesn´t matter wether the disks are connected to the
> >mb or a controller, I tried both. Only the partition and the patch solved it
> >för me. I´m not sure about the partitions, because I installe the partitions
> >first ans then applied the registry setting, So it can be that the patch is
> >all you need.
> >
> >Here it is in German, You only need to set the setting in the regtree, so
> >this is in english, do not worry about the rest..
> >
> >Bei XP das SP1 nötig, bei W2K das SP4. Bei W2K noch der
> >Registrierungseintrag (Binärwert) EnableBigLba=1 in folgendem Schlüssel:
> >
> >HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/atapi/Parameters
> >
> >Best regards Frank

Paul

Splendid

In article <nospam-2708040801130001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
(Paul) wrote:

> In article <ssfsi05jt3pt38e9k601f5ab14n4sr6o38@4ax.com>, PaulT
> <pt2177o@yah00.com> wrote:
>
> > Frank, thanks for the reply. I tried adding the EnableBigLba value to
> > 1, along with the atapi.sys update in that MSKB article, but no dice.
> >
> > Then, in a fit of temporary insanity, I decided I'd try XP SP2 just to
> > get the latest of everything. It seemed to work for a couple of boots,
> > now it won't even boot, asking for the XP CD to initiate a repair.
> >
> > Note that I haven't yet yanked the Promise S150 SX4 RAID controller,
> > so I was trying all that with the original RAID-5 setup with 3x200gb
> > drives.
> >
> > Next up is yanking that controller and going with a single drive.
> >
> > Paul

If you click 0x0000008E on this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/bccodes_59k7.asp

it says "Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"
and "0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
A memory access violation occurred."

So, maybe something is causing a driver to fall over ?

Paul

> > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:46:21 +0200, "Frank" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi Paul,
> > >
> > >I had the same some time ago. Try to get rid of 2 of the 3 Maxtor disks
> > >first. Problem is windows still got real real problems with big hdds. I had
> > >two samsung 160gb on 2 machines that would loose there complete data after
> > >some time from one moment to the other. I tried everything, did not work.
> > >Than I did two things and they are running fine for 7 months now.
> > >
> > >1) no partition is exeeding 80 GBs.
> > >2) Have you installed and/ or entered the BIGLBA Setting in the registry?
> > >
> > >Googel for it and I think your problems will go away.
> > >
> > >And one final word: It doesn´t matter wether the disks are connected to the
> > >mb or a controller, I tried both. Only the partition and the patch
solved it
> > >för me. I´m not sure about the partitions, because I installe the
partitions
> > >first ans then applied the registry setting, So it can be that the
patch is
> > >all you need.
> > >
> > >Here it is in German, You only need to set the setting in the regtree, so
> > >this is in english, do not worry about the rest..
> > >
> > >Bei XP das SP1 nötig, bei W2K das SP4. Bei W2K noch der
> > >Registrierungseintrag (Binärwert) EnableBigLba=1 in folgendem Schlüssel:
> > >
> > >HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/atapi/Parameters
> > >
> > >Best regards Frank

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

start in safe mode. Run msconfig from the command prompt and go to system
start (the tab on the far right).

Now tell me what entries you got and i will tell you which to disable.

Then you will see.

Thanks, but I've been there. It's too late now (see my earlier post
:(, but one of the first things I did was to remove *everything* from
the startup folder, and the "Run" key in the registry (from HKLM and
HKCU).

I'm about to RMA this A8V motherboard and start over with an MSI Neo2
Platinum. At least the problems might be different...