Unable to read content on CD/DVD - ROM ... occationally

I have had this problem with my Pioneer DVD rom since I first purchased Windows XP Professional.

Occationally the computer is completely unwilling to detect the content on my DVD drive. Other times it is able to read for instance a music CD, but no other format. The problem often solves itself if I restart tthe conputer with the CD I want to read, causing other formats to be undetectable.

What couses this unbelievable bug? Is this an XP problem, or is it related to any other hardware device on my computer. I cant believe it is the driver software, since the CD is detected when starting the computer with the CD inserted.

Beats me !!!

Regatds
Tord