hard drive is full bought a new one what do i do now?

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

puter has 10gig hdd bought a samsung spo411n 40gig it
shows up in bios as primary slave and shows up in device
manager but does not show up in my computer would
appreciate any help i can get

Pick an option:

1) Read the manual that came with the drive and visit the manufacturers website.

2) Do a FAQ / Troubleshooting search on this website and/or Google.

3) Take your PC for a ride to the store you bought the hard drive at and pay an additional $30 - $50 to have it installed.

Not wishing to be rude, but I find your MO a little puzzling therefore my suggestion for you is #3.

----- nick wrote: -----

puter has 10gig hdd bought a samsung spo411n 40gig it
shows up in bios as primary slave and shows up in device
manager but does not show up in my computer would
appreciate any help i can get

one can i remove the old one and my puter will still boot
properly or do i need to do more?

Right click on My Computer icon, select manage. Find
Storage/Disk management, select the new drive and format it.
It will then show in the My Computer and you'll be able to
move files of your choice to the new drive. I suggest that
you right click on the My Documents label on the START menu,
click properties, then select move and you can move all your
current My Document files from your C: drive to the new
drive and this will also point your future document saves to
the new drive. Open Outlook
Express/Tools/Options/maintenance and select your store
folder for email and point it to the new drive.
This should clear up room on the old C: drive. It will also
keep your data safe from an OS crash and reinstall. If the
new drive is not faster than the old it probably isn't worth
the effort to install the OS to the new drive.

You want to keep at least 15-20% free space so defrag can
work on each drive.

"nick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:19e9d01c44db2$29b56e10$a501280a@phx.gbl...
| puter has 10gig hdd bought a samsung spo411n 40gig it
| shows up in bios as primary slave and shows up in device
| manager but does not show up in my computer would
| appreciate any help i can get

No that won't work. You can use the slave drive as storage
only unless you take steps to install the Operating System
and applications, then make the disk the master.
You can use cloning software which should available on the
CD that came with the new drive or you can download the
software from the drive maker's website. Or you can do a
clean install to the drive and then install the
applications.

You should study your options and decide what you want to do
and plan your steps so you get a stable computer with all
your data intact when you are finished.

> [...]

Right click on My Computer and select Manage. On the following screen,
click on Disk Management. It should now show up on the right hand side of
the screen..... assign it a drive letter.

Marcus

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

k thanks for all the help people in the end manufacturer
was no help i kept recieving blank emails :p did some
searching on download.com came across Casper XP 2.0 the
free version does not allocate for new space I.E. i would
have gotten a 10gig partition with 30 gigs of unallocated
free space, i paid the 45 buck for the full version which
copies onto new drive with all the space useable. full
version works like a charm no need to redo settings or
anything all in all took about an hour to get it all back
to normal (except i have 4x as much hard drive now)would
have to highly recommend Casper to anyone trying to do
same thing i did with only one puter. and thanks again
for all the help still ended up costing me exrta money
but i have the program now