hard drive is full bought a new one what do i do now?

puter has 10gig hdd bought a samsung spo411n 40gig it
shows up in bios as primary slave and shows up in device
manager but does not show up in my computer would
appreciate any help i can get
6 answers Last reply
More about hard drive full bought

    Pick an option:

    1) Read the manual that came with the drive and visit the manufacturers website.

    2) Do a FAQ / Troubleshooting search on this website and/or Google.

    3) Take your PC for a ride to the store you bought the hard drive at and pay an additional $30 - $50 to have it installed.

    Not wishing to be rude, but I find your MO a little puzzling therefore my suggestion for you is #3.

    ----- nick wrote: -----

    puter has 10gig hdd bought a samsung spo411n 40gig it
    shows up in bios as primary slave and shows up in device
    manager but does not show up in my computer would
    appreciate any help i can get

    one can i remove the old one and my puter will still boot
    properly or do i need to do more?

    Right click on My Computer icon, select manage. Find
    Storage/Disk management, select the new drive and format it.
    It will then show in the My Computer and you'll be able to
    move files of your choice to the new drive. I suggest that
    you right click on the My Documents label on the START menu,
    click properties, then select move and you can move all your
    current My Document files from your C: drive to the new
    drive and this will also point your future document saves to
    the new drive. Open Outlook
    Express/Tools/Options/maintenance and select your store
    folder for email and point it to the new drive.
    This should clear up room on the old C: drive. It will also
    keep your data safe from an OS crash and reinstall. If the
    new drive is not faster than the old it probably isn't worth
    the effort to install the OS to the new drive.

    You want to keep at least 15-20% free space so defrag can
    work on each drive.

    "nick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:19e9d01c44db2$29b56e10$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    | puter has 10gig hdd bought a samsung spo411n 40gig it
    | shows up in bios as primary slave and shows up in device
    | manager but does not show up in my computer would
    | appreciate any help i can get

    No that won't work. You can use the slave drive as storage
    only unless you take steps to install the Operating System
    and applications, then make the disk the master.
    You can use cloning software which should available on the
    CD that came with the new drive or you can download the
    software from the drive maker's website. Or you can do a
    clean install to the drive and then install the
    applications.

    You should study your options and decide what you want to do
    and plan your steps so you get a stable computer with all
    your data intact when you are finished.

> [...]

    Right click on My Computer and select Manage. On the following screen,
    click on Disk Management. It should now show up on the right hand side of
    the screen..... assign it a drive letter.

    Marcus

    k thanks for all the help people in the end manufacturer
    was no help i kept recieving blank emails :P did some
    searching on download.com came across Casper XP 2.0 the
    free version does not allocate for new space I.E. i would
    have gotten a 10gig partition with 30 gigs of unallocated
    free space, i paid the 45 buck for the full version which
    copies onto new drive with all the space useable. full
    version works like a charm no need to redo settings or
    anything all in all took about an hour to get it all back
    to normal (except i have 4x as much hard drive now)would
    have to highly recommend Casper to anyone trying to do
    same thing i did with only one puter. and thanks again
    for all the help still ended up costing me exrta money
    but i have the program now

Hardware Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP