P4C800-E Dlx- Which Suspend Modes to Use?

P4C800-E Dlx and Suspend Modes

I have already installed Win XP, but I don't have much set, I had driver
re-installs and uninstalls, due to a video card problem, so I am going to
re-install Win XP.

There is no explanations of S1 and S3 and ACPI in the instructions. I know
they have be set first. What do you recommend and why?

Thanks,
QZ

Paul

Splendid

In article <10iq1sos6677j1d@corp.supernews.com>, "QZ" <nothing> wrote:

> P4C800-E Dlx and Suspend Modes
>
> I have already installed Win XP, but I don't have much set, I had driver
> re-installs and uninstalls, due to a video card problem, so I am going to
> re-install Win XP.
>
> There is no explanations of S1 and S3 and ACPI in the instructions. I know
> they have be set first. What do you recommend and why?
>
> Thanks,
> QZ

If you want a really boring read, which won't teach you anything, there
is the ACPI spec itself. "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
Specification" is 500 pages long.

http://www.acpi.info/DOWNLOADS/ACPIspec-2-0b.pdf

There is a layman's article here:

http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20020927S0028

S3 is known as Suspend to RAM, and in that (sleep) state, the
CPU is off, fans are off, RAM is valid and powered by +5VSB.
This state draws a few watts, but makes fast recovery to the
desktop possible. The BIOS has to know about it, so when
the processor awakens, the correct chunk of BIOS code is
executed, and the ram doesn't accidently get reinitialized,
erasing the contents.

Enabling ACPI allows all sorts of power saving features to be
applied.

Paul