USB External Hard Drive

Hi,
I bought a USB hard drive enclosure and put a Seagate 80
GB HD in it. I set up the hard drive before I put it in
the enclosure. When I plug the USB cord into the
computer it recognizes the new hardware as a USB Mass
Storage device, but then it tells me that there was a
prtoblem installing the device and it may not work
properly. The USB Mass Storage Device shows up in Device
Manager and when I click on properties, the first message
I see is "No Drivers are installed for this device" but
then it changes to "Currently, this hardware device is
not connected to the computer" Do I need to do something
else for my computer to recognize the hard drive. I've
tried it on three different computers running WIndows XP
and I keep getting errors.

Thanks

Do you have Windows Update SP1 installed on your system?
"tmar" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I bought a USB hard drive enclosure and put a Seagate 80
> GB HD in it. I set up the hard drive before I put it in
> the enclosure. When I plug the USB cord into the
> computer it recognizes the new hardware as a USB Mass
> Storage device, but then it tells me that there was a
> prtoblem installing the device and it may not work
> properly. The USB Mass Storage Device shows up in Device
> Manager and when I click on properties, the first message
> I see is "No Drivers are installed for this device" but
> then it changes to "Currently, this hardware device is
> not connected to the computer" Do I need to do something
> else for my computer to recognize the hard drive. I've
> tried it on three different computers running WIndows XP
> and I keep getting errors.
>
> Thanks

Yes,
I have Windows XP Service Pack 1 on the computers.

Did the Enclosure come with a CD with USB drivers that you have to
Install?
"tmar" <tessa14@msn.com> wrote in message
> Yes,
> I have Windows XP Service Pack 1 on the computers.

It did, but as far as I can tell, they're all for Windows
98. Do you think it could be something wrong with the
enclosure itself?

Charlie

You must set the jumper to Master on the disk.
"Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Do you have Windows Update SP1 installed on your system?
> "tmar" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I bought a USB hard drive enclosure and put a Seagate 80
> > GB HD in it. I set up the hard drive before I put it in
> > the enclosure. When I plug the USB cord into the
> > computer it recognizes the new hardware as a USB Mass
> > Storage device, but then it tells me that there was a
> > prtoblem installing the device and it may not work
> > properly. The USB Mass Storage Device shows up in Device
> > Manager and when I click on properties, the first message
> > I see is "No Drivers are installed for this device" but
> > then it changes to "Currently, this hardware device is
> > not connected to the computer" Do I need to do something
> > else for my computer to recognize the hard drive. I've
> > tried it on three different computers running WIndows XP
> > and I keep getting errors.
> >
> > Thanks

THANK YOU! That's all I needed. :)