Hidden partition - how to partition

Hi all!

I've bought a PC with a recovery XP on a Hidden partition.
The point is that the HD (200Gb) is in one big partition and i'd like to resize it WITHOUT blowing up the hidden partition with the System Recovery.

Could somebody help me?

Many thanks!

Guille
11 answers Last reply
More about hidden partition partition

    You can do that using Partition Magic. Make sure you use a new enough
    version, to be fully compatible with WinXP! I'm using v 8, and it works
    great!

    Bill Crocker

    "Guille" <Guille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I've bought a PC with a recovery XP on a Hidden partition.
    > The point is that the HD (200Gb) is in one big partition and i'd like to
    resize it WITHOUT blowing up the hidden partition with the System Recovery.

    > Could somebody help me?
    >
    > Many thanks!
    >
    > Guille

    Thanks,

    Does it mean that i can resize it without destroying or unallocating?
    Would you give me some tips? I would prefer not to "break" anything ;)

    Thanks!

    Guille

    "Bill Crocker" wrote:

    > You can do that using Partition Magic. Make sure you use a new enough
    > version, to be fully compatible with WinXP! I'm using v 8, and it works
    > great!
    >
    > Bill Crocker
    >

    > "Guille" <Guille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all!
    > >
    > > I've bought a PC with a recovery XP on a Hidden partition.
    > > The point is that the HD (200Gb) is in one big partition and i'd like to
    > resize it WITHOUT blowing up the hidden partition with the System Recovery.
    > >
    > > Could somebody help me?
    > >
    > > Many thanks!
    > >
    > > Guille

    The hidden partition should not be resized and it does not
    need to be altered in order to format or partition the
    visible C: partition. But unless you want to start from
    scratch with the installed OS and applications, you do need
    a third party program to do it without data loss. Like the
    other guy, I recommend Partition Magic 8 [the price has
    dropped recently].
    You can use it to select the C: partition and create
    partitions in the free space.
    You should do a disk cleanup and defrag before you begin so
    space is available. PM asks you from which drive
    (partition) do you want to take space to create the new
    partition. It really works very well.

    | Thanks,
    |
    | Does it mean that i can resize it without destroying or
    unallocating?
    | Would you give me some tips? I would prefer not to "break"
    anything ;)

    | Thanks!
    |
    | Guille
    |
    | "Bill Crocker" wrote:
    |
    | > You can do that using Partition Magic. Make sure you
    use a new enough
    | > version, to be fully compatible with WinXP! I'm using v
    8, and it works
    | > great!
    | >
    | > Bill Crocker
    | >

    | > "Guille" <Guille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message

    | > > Hi all!
    | > >
    | > > I've bought a PC with a recovery XP on a Hidden
    partition.
    | > > The point is that the HD (200Gb) is in one big
    partition and i'd like to
    | > resize it WITHOUT blowing up the hidden partition with
    the System Recovery.

    | > > Could somebody help me?
    | > >
    | > > Many thanks!
    | > >
    | > > Guille

    I'll try it, but my worry was that when I resize C: then new unallocated space is created, mixing with the unallocated space of the hidden partition i don't want to mess.
    Any risk?

    Thanks a lot

    Guille

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > The hidden partition should not be resized and it does not
    > need to be altered in order to format or partition the
    > visible C: partition. But unless you want to start from
    > scratch with the installed OS and applications, you do need
    > a third party program to do it without data loss. Like the
    > other guy, I recommend Partition Magic 8 [the price has
    > dropped recently].
    > You can use it to select the C: partition and create
    > partitions in the free space.
    > You should do a disk cleanup and defrag before you begin so
    > space is available. PM asks you from which drive
    > (partition) do you want to take space to create the new
    > partition. It really works very well.

    > "Guille" <Guille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Thanks,
    > |
    > | Does it mean that i can resize it without destroying or
    > unallocating?
    > | Would you give me some tips? I would prefer not to "break"
    > anything ;)
    > |
    > | Thanks!
    > |
    > | Guille
    > |
    > | "Bill Crocker" wrote:
    > |
    > | > You can do that using Partition Magic. Make sure you
    > use a new enough
    > | > version, to be fully compatible with WinXP! I'm using v
    > 8, and it works
    > | > great!
    > | >
    > | > Bill Crocker
    > | >

    > | > "Guille" <Guille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message

    > partition.
    > partition and i'd like to
    > | > resize it WITHOUT blowing up the hidden partition with
    > the System Recovery.

    You've been told twice now, by two different people, that
    you can do what you want to do without disturbing the
    recovery partition. How many more do you need? This last
    post of yours indicates that you are clueless, so maybe
    you should just leave well enough alone.

    The hidden partition isn't unallocated, it's just hidden. Just make sure you
    don't unhide it in the process.

    > I'll try it, but my worry was that when I resize C: then new unallocated
    space is created, mixing with the unallocated space of the hidden partition
    i don't want to mess.
    > Any risk?
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >
    > Guille
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    >
    > > The hidden partition should not be resized and it does not
    > > need to be altered in order to format or partition the
    > > visible C: partition. But unless you want to start from
    > > scratch with the installed OS and applications, you do need
    > > a third party program to do it without data loss. Like the
    > > other guy, I recommend Partition Magic 8 [the price has
    > > dropped recently].
    > > You can use it to select the C: partition and create
    > > partitions in the free space.
    > > You should do a disk cleanup and defrag before you begin so
    > > space is available. PM asks you from which drive
    > > (partition) do you want to take space to create the new
    > > partition. It really works very well.
    > >

    > > --
    > > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > >

    > > "Guille" <Guille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > | Thanks,
    > > |
    > > | Does it mean that i can resize it without destroying or
    > > unallocating?
    > > | Would you give me some tips? I would prefer not to "break"
    > > anything ;)
    > > |
    > > | Thanks!
    > > |
    > > | Guille

    > > use a new enough
    > > 8, and it works

    > > message

    > > partition.
    > > partition and i'd like to
    > > the System Recovery.

    Guille;
    The hidden partition should be safe,.
    However there is always risk.
    What is plan B if the hidden partition is damaged?
    What is the plan if the partition is later lost due to hard drive
    failure.
    Do you have an operating system CD?
    If not, you should contact the manufacturer to check possibilities for
    getting one.
    You may have to pay a little especially if computer is over 30 days
    old.
    Sooner or later you will most likely need the CD.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Guille" <Guille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'll try it, but my worry was that when I resize C: then new
    unallocated space is created, mixing with the unallocated space of the
    hidden partition i don't want to mess.
    > Any risk?
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >
    > Guille

    The hidden partition is allocated, it is just hidden.
    Partition Magic will ask you what partition you want to
    donate space. Even after you set the changes, PM will not
    apply the changes until you review them a second time.

    "Guille" <Guille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I'll try it, but my worry was that when I resize C: then
    new unallocated space is created, mixing with the
    unallocated space of the hidden partition i don't want to
    mess.
    | Any risk?
    |
    | Thanks a lot
    |
    | Guille
    |
    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > The hidden partition should not be resized and it does
    not
    | > need to be altered in order to format or partition the
    | > visible C: partition. But unless you want to start from
    | > scratch with the installed OS and applications, you do
    need
    | > a third party program to do it without data loss. Like
    the
    | > other guy, I recommend Partition Magic 8 [the price has
    | > dropped recently].
    | > You can use it to select the C: partition and create
    | > partitions in the free space.
    | > You should do a disk cleanup and defrag before you begin
    so
    | > space is available. PM asks you from which drive
    | > (partition) do you want to take space to create the new
    | > partition. It really works very well.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Guille" <Guille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message

    | > | Thanks,
    | > |
    | > | Does it mean that i can resize it without destroying
    or
    | > unallocating?
    | > | Would you give me some tips? I would prefer not to
    "break"
    | > anything ;)
    | > |
    | > | Thanks!
    | > |
    | > | Guille
    | > |
    | > | "Bill Crocker" wrote:
    | > |
    | > use a new enough
    using v
    | > 8, and it works

    | > message

    | > partition.
    | > partition and i'd like to
    | > the System Recovery.

    Thanks to all for the answers.
    Of course i'm a little clueless. That's why i'm posting here.
    My last question is:
    Looking at the HD with partition Magic i only see C: and a small unallocated
    space (+/- 8Mb).
    Probably the people at MyCom Amsterdam "forgot" to install their recovery
    system?
    I feel clueless because i don't see any hidden partition with PM...
    They use a system called "clarity", but after attempting to boot with F10 i
    don't see anything happening...
    well... i wanted to avoid going with the box to the shop again....

    thanks

    > Guille;
    > The hidden partition should be safe,.
    > However there is always risk.
    > What is plan B if the hidden partition is damaged?
    > What is the plan if the partition is later lost due to hard drive
    > failure.
    > Do you have an operating system CD?
    > If not, you should contact the manufacturer to check possibilities for
    > getting one.
    > You may have to pay a little especially if computer is over 30 days
    > old.
    > Sooner or later you will most likely need the CD.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Guille" <Guille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'll try it, but my worry was that when I resize C: then new
    > unallocated space is created, mixing with the unallocated space of the
    > hidden partition i don't want to mess.
    > > Any risk?
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot
    > >
    > > Guille

    Sorry, the unallocated space is about 8Gb... not Mb

    "Guille" <Here@nu.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks to all for the answers.
    > Of course i'm a little clueless. That's why i'm posting here.
    > My last question is:
    > Looking at the HD with partition Magic i only see C: and a small
    unallocated
    > space (+/- 8Mb).
    > Probably the people at MyCom Amsterdam "forgot" to install their recovery
    > system?
    > I feel clueless because i don't see any hidden partition with PM...
    > They use a system called "clarity", but after attempting to boot with F10
    > don't see anything happening...
    > well... i wanted to avoid going with the box to the shop again....
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > > Guille;
    > > The hidden partition should be safe,.
    > > However there is always risk.
    > > What is plan B if the hidden partition is damaged?
    > > What is the plan if the partition is later lost due to hard drive
    > > failure.
    > > Do you have an operating system CD?
    > > If not, you should contact the manufacturer to check possibilities for
    > > getting one.
    > > You may have to pay a little especially if computer is over 30 days
    > > old.
    > > Sooner or later you will most likely need the CD.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > >

    > > "Guille" <Guille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'll try it, but my worry was that when I resize C: then new
    > > unallocated space is created, mixing with the unallocated space of the
    > > hidden partition i don't want to mess.
    > > > Any risk?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks a lot
    > > >
    > > > Guille

    Most likely the format used to compress and hide the
    recovery file system is well hidden. I don't recall if you
    said what company sold the computer. But there should be
    instructions on how to use the recovery partition. Often
    there is even a way to create a CD from the data on the
    partition.
    But partitions do have the effect of being separate from
    other partitions as though they were on different drives.
    So what you do to C: will not effect other partition, except
    for the reallocation you want.
    I read on down and saw you did say "MyCom Amsterdam " but
    what brand computer is it, or did they build it in the
    store? They should have provided you with Operating system
    CD and those for applications you bought also.

    Good luck.

    wrote in message
    | > > Guille;
    | > > The hidden partition should be safe,.
    | > > However there is always risk.
    | > > What is plan B if the hidden partition is damaged?
    | > > What is the plan if the partition is later lost due to
    hard drive
    | > > failure.
    | > > Do you have an operating system CD?
    | > > If not, you should contact the manufacturer to check
    possibilities for
    | > > getting one.
    | > > You may have to pay a little especially if computer is
    over 30 days
    | > > old.
    | > > Sooner or later you will most likely need the CD.
    | > >
    | > > --
    | > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    | > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    | > >

    | > > "Guille" <Guille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message

    then new
    | > > unallocated space is created, mixing with the
    unallocated space of the
    | > > hidden partition i don't want to mess.

Partition Windows XP