P4P800E Deluxe Help

Hi

I have recentely purchased a P4P800E Deluxe and a 36Gb WD Sata Raptor.
I plan on using the Raptor on the Intel SATA connectors in a non-RAID
configuration and I remeber reading many times, or at least I think I have,
that drivers need to be installed during the start of a Windows install when
it asks you to press F6 to install 3rd Party drivers. There was no floppy
disk with drivers on in the box and there was not ment to be as it is not
listed in the contents of the box in the mannual.

So my question is this: Do I need drivers on a Floppy to use the Intel SATA
conections or will it just work! and if I do where can I source these
drivers from?
I seem to be unable to find the drivers on the CD should they even be there
at all and I cant find anything on the ASUS website.

Thanx in advance

Rik
8 answers Last reply
More about p4p800e deluxe help

    I recently built a system for the first time with the P4P800-E Deluxe board
    and ran into the same issue.

    If you look on the ASUS CD that came with the motherboard, you'll find a
    folder as follows:

    Drivers>Promise>378ATA>WinXP

    Copy all of the files in that folder to a floppy and have it ready to go
    when you install XP. When the screen prompts to Press F6, put the floppy in
    and press F6. Leave the floppy in the drive until the XP installation is
    complete -- apparently the files on the floppy aren't copied immediately.

    Also, once XP is fully installed, insert the ASUS CD into your drive and
    when it auto-starts, run the Intel Chipset program, ALC850 driver installer,
    and the Marvel LAN driver installer. I don't think you need to run the USB
    driver installer.

    The ASUS CD has a Windows utility for flashing the BIOS, but all indications
    are that flashing from within Windows is a bad idea. Also, there is a newer
    version of ASUS Probe on the ASUS Website.

    John

    <rikgale@NOSPAMMESPAMMERSCUMhotail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have recentely purchased a P4P800E Deluxe and a 36Gb WD Sata Raptor.
    > I plan on using the Raptor on the Intel SATA connectors in a non-RAID
    > configuration and I remeber reading many times, or at least I think I
    > have,
    > that drivers need to be installed during the start of a Windows install
    > when
    > it asks you to press F6 to install 3rd Party drivers. There was no floppy
    > disk with drivers on in the box and there was not ment to be as it is not
    > listed in the contents of the box in the mannual.
    >
    > So my question is this: Do I need drivers on a Floppy to use the Intel
    > SATA
    > conections or will it just work! and if I do where can I source these
    > drivers from?
    > I seem to be unable to find the drivers on the CD should they even be
    > there
    > at all and I cant find anything on the ASUS website.
    >
    > Thanx in advance
    >
    > Rik

    If you wish to use the Intel SATA controllers without going to RAID, you
    don't need to install any third-party drivers. (I believe that the Promise
    controller would require drivers, but I have no personal experience with
    that. I have a P4P800, not a Deluxe.)

    Make sure that you have the BIOS settings correct. I believe that you want
    the SATA enhanced mode selected, and the SATA boot ROM enabled (if you wish
    to use the Raptor as your boot drive).

    HTH.

    Bob Knowlden

    Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

    <rikgale@NOSPAMMESPAMMERSCUMhotail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have recentely purchased a P4P800E Deluxe and a 36Gb WD Sata Raptor.
    > I plan on using the Raptor on the Intel SATA connectors in a non-RAID
    > configuration and I remeber reading many times, or at least I think I
    > have,
    > that drivers need to be installed during the start of a Windows install
    > when
    > it asks you to press F6 to install 3rd Party drivers. There was no floppy
    > disk with drivers on in the box and there was not ment to be as it is not
    > listed in the contents of the box in the mannual.
    >
    > So my question is this: Do I need drivers on a Floppy to use the Intel
    > SATA
    > conections or will it just work! and if I do where can I source these
    > drivers from?
    > I seem to be unable to find the drivers on the CD should they even be
    > there
    > at all and I cant find anything on the ASUS website.
    >
    > Thanx in advance
    >
    > Rik

    The SATA drivers are on the CD and you must copy them onto a floppy.

    --
    DaveW

    <rikgale@NOSPAMMESPAMMERSCUMhotail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have recentely purchased a P4P800E Deluxe and a 36Gb WD Sata Raptor.
    > I plan on using the Raptor on the Intel SATA connectors in a non-RAID
    > configuration and I remeber reading many times, or at least I think I
    > have,
    > that drivers need to be installed during the start of a Windows install
    > when
    > it asks you to press F6 to install 3rd Party drivers. There was no floppy
    > disk with drivers on in the box and there was not ment to be as it is not
    > listed in the contents of the box in the mannual.
    >
    > So my question is this: Do I need drivers on a Floppy to use the Intel
    > SATA
    > conections or will it just work! and if I do where can I source these
    > drivers from?
    > I seem to be unable to find the drivers on the CD should they even be
    > there
    > at all and I cant find anything on the ASUS website.
    >
    > Thanx in advance
    >
    > Rik

    Thank you all who replied.

    I managed to answer my own question about 30 mins after posting after nosing
    about on the CD for a bit, there is a utility (an execuitable) which will
    make a floppy with the drivers(Intel and Promise) on for you, or at least I
    assume that is what it does. I am guessing that it just copies the contents
    of the folder to a floppy.

    Anyways Thanx again, all I have to do now is wait for the rest of the bits
    to turn up and I can start building

    Rik

    You DON'T need any drivers for the INTEL sata connector.
    The drivers on de cd are only for the promise controler.
    I have the P4C800E and boot from a 36gb Raptor without any sata drivers

    <rikgale@NOSPAMMESPAMMERSCUMhotail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have recentely purchased a P4P800E Deluxe and a 36Gb WD Sata Raptor.
    > I plan on using the Raptor on the Intel SATA connectors in a non-RAID
    > configuration and I remeber reading many times, or at least I think I
    > have,
    > that drivers need to be installed during the start of a Windows install
    > when
    > it asks you to press F6 to install 3rd Party drivers. There was no floppy
    > disk with drivers on in the box and there was not ment to be as it is not
    > listed in the contents of the box in the mannual.
    >
    > So my question is this: Do I need drivers on a Floppy to use the Intel
    > SATA
    > conections or will it just work! and if I do where can I source these
    > drivers from?
    > I seem to be unable to find the drivers on the CD should they even be
    > there
    > at all and I cant find anything on the ASUS website.
    >
    > Thanx in advance
    >
    > Rik

    rikgale,

    Reading Sharky's post, I realize I gave you incorrect advice about loading
    the Promise drivers with "F6." I apologize for the mistake, and I hope
    there was no harm done by adding the Promise driver during your XP
    installation.

    John

    "Sharky" <martinz(nospam)@planet.nl> wrote in message
    > You DON'T need any drivers for the INTEL sata connector.
    > The drivers on de cd are only for the promise controler.
    > I have the P4C800E and boot from a 36gb Raptor without any sata drivers
    >

    > <rikgale@NOSPAMMESPAMMERSCUMhotail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have recentely purchased a P4P800E Deluxe and a 36Gb WD Sata Raptor.
    >> I plan on using the Raptor on the Intel SATA connectors in a non-RAID
    >> configuration and I remeber reading many times, or at least I think I
    >> have,
    >> that drivers need to be installed during the start of a Windows install
    >> when
    >> it asks you to press F6 to install 3rd Party drivers. There was no floppy
    >> disk with drivers on in the box and there was not ment to be as it is not
    >> listed in the contents of the box in the mannual.
    >>
    >> So my question is this: Do I need drivers on a Floppy to use the Intel
    >> SATA
    >> conections or will it just work! and if I do where can I source these
    >> drivers from?
    >> I seem to be unable to find the drivers on the CD should they even be
    >> there
    >> at all and I cant find anything on the ASUS website.
    >>
    >> Thanx in advance
    >>
    >> Rik

    I think you need the Intel RAID driver (ulsata.sys?) from the CD if you are
    using the controller for a RAID array.

    "Sharky" <martinz(nospam)@planet.nl> wrote in message
    > You DON'T need any drivers for the INTEL sata connector.
    > The drivers on de cd are only for the promise controler.
    > I have the P4C800E and boot from a 36gb Raptor without any sata drivers
    >

    > <rikgale@NOSPAMMESPAMMERSCUMhotail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have recentely purchased a P4P800E Deluxe and a 36Gb WD Sata Raptor.
    >> I plan on using the Raptor on the Intel SATA connectors in a non-RAID
    >> configuration and I remeber reading many times, or at least I think I
    >> have,
    >> that drivers need to be installed during the start of a Windows install
    >> when
    >> it asks you to press F6 to install 3rd Party drivers. There was no floppy
    >> disk with drivers on in the box and there was not ment to be as it is not
    >> listed in the contents of the box in the mannual.
    >>
    >> So my question is this: Do I need drivers on a Floppy to use the Intel
    >> SATA
    >> conections or will it just work! and if I do where can I source these
    >> drivers from?
    >> I seem to be unable to find the drivers on the CD should they even be
    >> there
    >> at all and I cant find anything on the ASUS website.
    >>
    >> Thanx in advance
    >>
    >> Rik

    No worries,

    I am still wainting for parts before I can start an install, as still
    missing processor and Gfx card. I am trying to cover all potential problems
    before I start.
    Seems that the Prescott CPU I ordered was a bad plan thought, what with all
    the problems with SP2. Never mind.

    Thanx

    Rik

Asus Drivers Motherboards