How to set up my grandson with his laptop on my DSL

peterm

My grandson is visiting from Tenn. and the first thing he did, ask me if he
can go on my computer and install Yahoo messenger and stuff from AOL. His
friends are all there, he likes to stay in touch. I really don't like these
things on my computer, but will go along with it, if I can't change
anything. He is 14 years old, and I wonder if I can hook up a laptop I like
to give him, and have him use my DSL, but use his laptop instead of my
computer. I don't care if I have to spend money for a router, or anything
like that, I will do it. I just don't know where to start. I like it to be
easy, not too complicated, as far as the router and things like that. I
would prefer wireless, but if I have to go wire, the distance is not too
far, it is the next room. The laptop is a win 98 machine, and my computer is
a WinXP Home machine. Maybe there is no chance to do anything because I use
Win XP Home? The Laptop is a PII, I had Win XP on there at one time, but
wanted an older machine with Win 98, some programs that I use like Win 98
better. Anyway, Any help is really appreciated................Peter

Hello
That would not be any problem.
You can purchase a wired router at Wal-Mart for $50-60.
You can also purchase a long enough CAT 45 cable up to a couple hundred
foot.
The router will come with a 6 ft cable you can use that to hook to your
computer.
The laptop will have to have networking connection. (ethernet port)
It would be more expensive and require some tech. work if your computers do
not have wireless cards installed.

Turn everything off, plug the modem into the router WAN connection via CAT
45 cable, plug the router 1-4 into the computers.
Turn the modem on, wait for lights to come on, turn the router on wait for
the lights to come on, turn the computers on, then you may have to configure
the connection in the internet properties.

Most routers supply a built-in firewall.

I assume you will not be setting up a network.

--
Hope This Helps
Haus
"PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
> My grandson is visiting from Tenn. and the first thing he did, ask me if
he
> can go on my computer and install Yahoo messenger and stuff from AOL. His
> friends are all there, he likes to stay in touch. I really don't like
these
> things on my computer, but will go along with it, if I can't change
> anything. He is 14 years old, and I wonder if I can hook up a laptop I
like
> to give him, and have him use my DSL, but use his laptop instead of my
> computer. I don't care if I have to spend money for a router, or anything
> like that, I will do it. I just don't know where to start. I like it to be
> easy, not too complicated, as far as the router and things like that. I
> would prefer wireless, but if I have to go wire, the distance is not too
> far, it is the next room. The laptop is a win 98 machine, and my computer
is
> a WinXP Home machine. Maybe there is no chance to do anything because I
use
> Win XP Home? The Laptop is a PII, I had Win XP on there at one time, but
> wanted an older machine with Win 98, some programs that I use like Win 98
> better. Anyway, Any help is really appreciated................Peter

peterm

Thank you for your help. I need to know what model or brand of router to
buy, I would have no idea what to grab, if I see two of them. I happen
to have a US Robotic wireless PC card USR 2410, maybe you can tell me
the part that I need to get for my desktop. I do have a LAN connection
or whatever you call it in the back of my desktop. Maybe I should get a
wireless router , that goes between the US Robotic card and the desktop.
I just don't know which one.......Peter

"Haus" <youknow@Iwillslapyou> wrote in message
> [...]
> > like that, I will do it. I just don't know where to start. I like it
to be
> > easy, not too complicated, as far as the router and things like
that. I
> > would prefer wireless, but if I have to go wire, the distance is not
too
> > far, it is the next room. The laptop is a win 98 machine, and my
computer
> is
> > a WinXP Home machine. Maybe there is no chance to do anything
because I
> use
> > Win XP Home? The Laptop is a PII, I had Win XP on there at one time,
but
> > wanted an older machine with Win 98, some programs that I use like
Win 98
> > better. Anyway, Any help is really appreciated................Peter

You have a wireless card for the laptop therefore you can purchase a
wireless router, I prefer Linksys model BEFW11S4, I am not sure which brand
your local puter store stocks but any good G router will work as long as it
has 4 port switch also, that way you can install the modem & router next to
your desktop and wire you desktop to the router and run the laptop wireless.

If you wish to run the desktop wireless then you will need to purchase a
wireless PCI card, it will have a little antenna on it and will install
inside your puter via a PCI slot.
There is no real advantage to running the desktop wireless unless you plan
on having your modem & router in 1 room and the desktop in another.

--
"PeterM" <P_Maston@msn.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > like that, I will do it. I just don't know where to start. I like it
> to be
> > > easy, not too complicated, as far as the router and things like
> that. I
> > > would prefer wireless, but if I have to go wire, the distance is not
> too
> > > far, it is the next room. The laptop is a win 98 machine, and my
> computer
> > is
> > > a WinXP Home machine. Maybe there is no chance to do anything
> because I
> > use
> > > Win XP Home? The Laptop is a PII, I had Win XP on there at one time,
> but
> > > wanted an older machine with Win 98, some programs that I use like
> Win 98
> > > better. Anyway, Any help is really appreciated................Peter

Thanks for the help "Haus", I'll go and buy the Linksys model you
mentioned and just see what will happen after that. I can always bring
it back just in case........I appreciate you a lot. I will make a report
to at the end of this..........Peter

> [...]
> > your
> > > computer.
> > > The laptop will have to have networking connection. (ethernet
port)
> > > It would be more expensive and require some tech. work if your
> > computers do
> > > not have wireless cards installed.
> > >
> > > Turn everything off, plug the modem into the router WAN connection
via
> > CAT
> > > 45 cable, plug the router 1-4 into the computers.
> > > Turn the modem on, wait for lights to come on, turn the router on
wait
> > for
> > > the lights to come on, turn the computers on, then you may have to
> > configure
> > > the connection in the internet properties.
> > >
> > > Most routers supply a built-in firewall.
> > >
> > > I assume you will not be setting up a network.

Hello Peter
You are welcome
Good Luck
Let me know if you have any trouble....:)

--

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:42:13 -0500, "Haus" <youknow@Iwillslapyou>
wrote:

>Hello
>That would not be any problem.
>You can purchase a wired router at Wal-Mart for $50-60.
>You can also purchase a long enough CAT 45 cable up to a couple hundred
>foot.
>The router will come with a 6 ft cable you can use that to hook to your
>computer.
>The laptop will have to have networking connection. (ethernet port)
>It would be more expensive and require some tech. work if your computers do
>not have wireless cards installed.
>
>Turn everything off, plug the modem into the router WAN connection via CAT
>45 cable, plug the router 1-4 into the computers.
>Turn the modem on, wait for lights to come on, turn the router on wait for
>the lights to come on, turn the computers on, then you may have to configure
>the connection in the internet properties.
>
>Most routers supply a built-in firewall.
>
>I assume you will not be setting up a network.

What horrible advice.

1. What the hell is Cat 45 cable?

2. "A couple hundred of feet?" With that length of cat 5, you will
get horrible performance, if any performance at all.

3. Very few inexpensive routers supply built-in firewalls. They
provide NAT, but that is NOT anywhere near the same thing as a
firewall.

OK
I messed up and called it a CAT 45 it has been a while, I couldn't remember
if it was 45, 55, 95 or what so I stand corrected, CAT 5

I used a 50 foot cable on laptop worked fine for me, my wife's office is
wired with 100's of feet of wire and #'s of puters works fine for them.

As for the NAT, I should have said they have a NAT which basically serves
like a firewall

Sorry to offend you.
I will try to get up to your standards.

--

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 19:53:03 -0500, "Haus" <youknow@Iwillslapyou>
wrote:

>OK
>I messed up and called it a CAT 45 it has been a while, I couldn't remember
>if it was 45, 55, 95 or what so I stand corrected, CAT 5

Well, I got confused...did you mean cat4, cat5, or something else? I
imagine the OP, a relative novice, might well be out there looking for
cat45 cable.

>I used a 50 foot cable on laptop worked fine for me, my wife's office is
>wired with 100's of feet of wire and #'s of puters works fine for them.

OK, I jumped the gun. The max cable run for a length of Cat5 cable is
100 meters, so your "couple hundred feet" remark is OK. I admit you
got me there (embarrased red face on my end).

>As for the NAT, I should have said they have a NAT which basically serves
>like a firewall

NAT is nothing like a firewall. I won't stop any inbound or outbound
connections; it will basically just decide which computer on the LAN
side of the connection to send the packet to. A FIREWALL, unlike NAT,
will stop inbound/outbound connections (if setup and configured
correctly).

>Sorry to offend you.
>I will try to get up to your standards.

No offense! After all, I was wrong about your cable length
speculation!