2600XP TO 3200XP

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Is this jump even worth doing considering the Mhz jump is only 2.08 to 2.2 ?
The 2600 is running at 333 whilst the 3200 is a 400 bus..Just wondering if I
should even bother or not. The 2600 is a 2400 overclocked to 2600.

alex

Percentage wise it isnt very big.

I'd wait for a year or so. (In that year, still do things, and try to not
remember that your waiting for a new Cheaper cpu to become available).

I rememeber going from 300Mhz to 550Mhz, cos i was being a silly boy. Its
not worth it. and then a 667 Mhz came out. And then i started thinking about
the future, and became depressed.

"Anthony" <optimus2@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Is this jump even worth doing considering the Mhz jump is only 2.08 to 2.2
> ?
> The 2600 is running at 333 whilst the 3200 is a 400 bus..Just wondering if
> should even bother or not. The 2600 is a 2400 overclocked to 2600.

alex

Its only 23% faster..

2600 is Very Fast. Your kind of upset cos it isnt in the 3000's . but those
are just quirks of using the Decimal number system.

2600 is 5050 in Base8
3200 is 6200 in Base8

when i had a 3.5 Mhz ZX81 , I was happier than ever, it had no colour, no
sound,
no real keyboard, but it was Amazing. I wish i was a kid again.:(:(:(:(:(
Seems like all the magic has gone from life. I wish i could be 10 again, and
innocent. (Crying now)

"Anthony" <optimus2@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Is this jump even worth doing considering the Mhz jump is only 2.08 to 2.2
> ?
> The 2600 is running at 333 whilst the 3200 is a 400 bus..Just wondering if
> should even bother or not. The 2600 is a 2400 overclocked to 2600.

I went from a barton 2600+ to my current 3200+ but only because my
local computer store had a second user one in stock. I traded in my
2600+ and ended up paying £40 for the 3200+.

Performance wise, i got a few extra thousand marks in 3d mark but
windows didnt feel much different.

If youre interested in overclocking i managed to get my 3200+ up to
220fsb giving a overall speed of 2.4ghz. Run very stable at that speed
although ive set it back to default for fear of breaking it!

To use the 3200+ i think you need to have PC3200 ram, although im sure
ive seen posts saying that they are using pc2700 ram and not funning
the fsb and memory in sync.

cheers

paul

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

No I am using PC3200 so it would work out for me if I chose to upgrade..I
probably will just cause I am bored and like to tinker with my PC :) The
3200 is now so cheap and I can sell my 2400 which does 2600 or better easily
as its only a year old or less and I will sell it for 30 bucks :)

"me!!" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I went from a barton 2600+ to my current 3200+ but only because my
> local computer store had a second user one in stock. I traded in my
> 2600+ and ended up paying £40 for the 3200+.
>
> Performance wise, i got a few extra thousand marks in 3d mark but
> windows didnt feel much different.
>
> If youre interested in overclocking i managed to get my 3200+ up to
> 220fsb giving a overall speed of 2.4ghz. Run very stable at that speed
> although ive set it back to default for fear of breaking it!
>
> To use the 3200+ i think you need to have PC3200 ram, although im sure
> ive seen posts saying that they are using pc2700 ram and not funning
> the fsb and memory in sync.
>
> cheers
>
> paul

If i were you i think i would consider selling my mobo and cpu
together and go for an amd 64. Im certainly thinking of doing that
because like you, i like to tinker with things, and having a 3200+ i
cant go any furthur! Got a 9800 pro so thats ok ( unless i find a
bargain 6800 ).

You might also want to try a 2500+ and run it at 11x200 imstead of
11x166? would certainly be cheaper.

regards

paul

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:45:28 GMT, "Anthony" <optimus2@optonline.net>
wrote:

>No I am using PC3200 so it would work out for me if I chose to upgrade..I
>probably will just cause I am bored and like to tinker with my PC :) The
>3200 is now so cheap and I can sell my 2400 which does 2600 or better easily
>as its only a year old or less and I will sell it for 30 bucks :)
>
>"me!!" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I went from a barton 2600+ to my current 3200+ but only because my
>> local computer store had a second user one in stock. I traded in my
>> 2600+ and ended up paying £40 for the 3200+.
>>
>> Performance wise, i got a few extra thousand marks in 3d mark but
>> windows didnt feel much different.
>>
>> If youre interested in overclocking i managed to get my 3200+ up to
>> 220fsb giving a overall speed of 2.4ghz. Run very stable at that speed
>> although ive set it back to default for fear of breaking it!
>>
>> To use the 3200+ i think you need to have PC3200 ram, although im sure
>> ive seen posts saying that they are using pc2700 ram and not funning
>> the fsb and memory in sync.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> paul

dude get a 2500xp dont buy a 3200xp!!, just wasting ur money, ive been
running my 2500 at 11x200 for over a 1yr now
and seriously never had trouble with it, not even need a voltage increase.
best way is to buy a Mobile2500 cause its multipliers are unlocked,
therefore it give you more room to overclock, and keep fsb at 200 if you
wish but actually get more than 3200 speeds.

buy good cooling though, and ull still be under the 3200 price bracket

--
Almeyda

AMD2500XP @3200XP-11X200-2.21Ghz
A7N8X-E Deluxe > Corsair TWINX1024 XMS3200LL DualChannel
HIS Excalibur 9800XT 256mb @463/399 (Omegas 2.5.51 & ATI tool 0.20 No
Artifacts)
1x80GB SATA Seagate 8mg cache > 2x40GB ATA Seagate
SB AudigyES > ANTEC SuperLanboy 350 Case (350W SmartBlue PS)

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

How much faster is the 2500 mobile chip then the 3200? Is the 2500 a 200mhz
bus rated chip? Are they all guranteed to be unlocked? I can get the 3200
for 110 bucks , how much is the 2500 mobile?

"Almeyda" <*SPAM*fabrizio5680@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> dude get a 2500xp dont buy a 3200xp!!, just wasting ur money, ive been
> running my 2500 at 11x200 for over a 1yr now
> and seriously never had trouble with it, not even need a voltage increase.
> best way is to buy a Mobile2500 cause its multipliers are unlocked,
> therefore it give you more room to overclock, and keep fsb at 200 if you
> wish but actually get more than 3200 speeds.
>
> buy good cooling though, and ull still be under the 3200 price bracket
>
> --

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Seen this on a website , but the chip is 150 bucks..can it really hit
2.7GHZ?

Product Features:

This is the brand new KING of AMD overclocker chips! If you take a look
around the net, you'll find people hitting up to 2.7ghz with this chip,
which is outstanding! Fully unlocked, and fully overclockable. If you were
looking around for that next CPU upgrade, this is the one you want.

The mobile XP chip is identical to the desktop XP in speed and function, and
will work in any Athlon XP compatible motherboard.

Another great point about this chip is the fact that it runs at a CPU core
voltage of only 1.45v, as opposed to the 1.65v of the desktop model. HUGE
overclocking potential!