Building A New Box -- Opinions

Last response: in Video Games
September 17, 2005 4:45:42 PM

Ok, so I've been thinking about doing this for a while, and finally got
the balls to do it. So for those of you who know a bit about computers
let me know what you think about my part selection. The PC wil be used
mostly as a backup and also for playing games/running Windows apps that
I need such as Filemaker. I am looking not to spend too much as it will
probably need to be updated a bit in like 2 years, when PCI-Express is
a little more standard.

Case: Aspire X-Navigator Aluminum Case (500 Watt Power Supply)
Mother Board: MSI K8N Neo2
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Socket 979)
Memory: Corsair 1 GB (2x512MB) DDR400 (Daul Channel)
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (AGP)
Hard Drive: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB (SATA)
Optical Drive: Plextor CD/DVD Burner (Model PX740A/SW)

And sooner or later I'll buy a sound card to replace the onboard sound.
So let me know what you guys think.

More about : building box opinions

September 17, 2005 11:00:03 PM

Keith S. <zhuangshi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, so I've been thinking about doing this for a while, and finally got
> the balls to do it. So for those of you who know a bit about computers
> let me know what you think about my part selection. The PC wil be used
> mostly as a backup and also for playing games/running Windows apps that
> I need such as Filemaker. I am looking not to spend too much as it will
> probably need to be updated a bit in like 2 years, when PCI-Express is
> a little more standard.
>
> Case: Aspire X-Navigator Aluminum Case (500 Watt Power Supply)
> Mother Board: MSI K8N Neo2
> Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Socket 979)
> Memory: Corsair 1 GB (2x512MB) DDR400 (Daul Channel)
> Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (AGP)
> Hard Drive: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB (SATA)
> Optical Drive: Plextor CD/DVD Burner (Model PX740A/SW)
>

> And sooner or later I'll buy a sound card to replace the onboard sound.
> So let me know what you guys think.

Ok a small bit of advice on you choices.

Processor: If you can stretch for about 30 quid more you can get the
Athlon64 3200+ (Skt939)
Reason: Apart from being slightly faster straight out of the box the 3200
plus is a better chip to overclock and can comfortably go from 2.0 GHz to
2.2 GHz with no problems. (as long as you have a decent heatsink and fan) If
you need to do this in the future it will give you Athlon64 3500+
performance equivalent with no extra cost.
Search online for info on overclocking the Athlon64 3200+.

Heatsink and fan: The stock Athlon64 heatsink and fan is ok but there are
very cheap much better alternatives out there that are much more quiet
running and have a greater overhead potential for small overclock heat
dissipation. Try these links ...this is the one I have and its very good for
the money:-

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...

http://extreme64.com/index.php?link=reviews/Cooling/aka...

Graphics card: The ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (AGP) is a great card but
really you should consider a PCI express graphics card and Motherboard
setup. On a budget my personal choices would be:

Asus A8N Sli deluxe with a single Geforce 6800GT or 6600GT graphics card:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...
and
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...
or..
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...
or..
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...

That combo will give you great gaming performance for today's games and will
give you a monster upgrade potential for the future without having to change
your motherboard.

Uzi
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 6:44:36 AM

Keith S. committed to the eternal aether...:

> Ok, so I've been thinking about doing this for a while, and finally got
> the balls to do it. So for those of you who know a bit about computers
> let me know what you think about my part selection. The PC wil be used
> mostly as a backup and also for playing games/running Windows apps that
> I need such as Filemaker. I am looking not to spend too much as it will
> probably need to be updated a bit in like 2 years, when PCI-Express is
> a little more standard.
>
> Case: Aspire X-Navigator Aluminum Case (500 Watt Power Supply)
> Mother Board: MSI K8N Neo2
> Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Socket 979)
> Memory: Corsair 1 GB (2x512MB) DDR400 (Daul Channel)
> Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (AGP)
> Hard Drive: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB (SATA)
> Optical Drive: Plextor CD/DVD Burner (Model PX740A/SW)

Get a better GPU. If you're going to get a radeon get a X800. If you can
only afford a 9800, get 256MB of RAM and a XT rather than pro. These are
all available in AGP.

> And sooner or later I'll buy a sound card to replace the onboard sound.

Don't waste your money, the onboard is fine unless you want to do hdd
recording or sound editing.

> So let me know what you guys think.

my 2 bob's worth :-)
Related resources
September 23, 2005 5:12:03 AM

Huh did he say thanks for the tips?

He could at least have told us what he thought of it or decided on.
But I suppose that would just be too much to expect in todays modern
unappreciative world.
Sigh....
September 26, 2005 7:42:36 PM

"Uzi" <rapandrandb@suks.com> wrote in message
> Huh did he say thanks for the tips?
>
> He could at least have told us what he thought of it or decided on.
> But I suppose that would just be too much to expect in todays modern
> unappreciative world.
> Sigh....

Don't worry. I still love you, mate...
!