ASUS PC-DL-DX Dual Xeon mainboard

I've got a Dual Xeon 3.06Ghz setup running fine under Windows XP
Professional.

How can I tell if the 2nd CPU is actually being utilized or what the
load on it is, etc? Would something like PC Probe do it, or?

thx!
Skydigger123
7 answers Last reply
More about asus dual xeon mainboard

    In article <rv4vi01itj4h7qh700seus4o54i550mr15@4ax.com>, skydigger123
    says...
    > I've got a Dual Xeon 3.06Ghz setup running fine under Windows XP
    > Professional.
    >
    > How can I tell if the 2nd CPU is actually being utilized or what the
    > load on it is, etc? Would something like PC Probe do it, or?

    Right click on the task bar, select Task Manager, and then Performance.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    The ASUS monitoring agent using the windows system monitor, and it
    shows that (by temp and voltage) both are present. However, unless I
    am mistaken it looks like windows is not seeing two processors (only
    one graph in Task Mgr, when setting is for '1 graph per CPU').

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:51:41 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >In article <rv4vi01itj4h7qh700seus4o54i550mr15@4ax.com>, skydigger123
    >says...
    >> I've got a Dual Xeon 3.06Ghz setup running fine under Windows XP
    >> Professional.
    >>
    >> How can I tell if the 2nd CPU is actually being utilized or what the
    >> load on it is, etc? Would something like PC Probe do it, or?
    >
    >Right click on the task bar, select Task Manager, and then Performance.
    >
    >--

    In article <dp8vi01ubg93j6537nfcfvoihv7l9mt6gs@4ax.com>, skydigger123
    says...
    > The ASUS monitoring agent using the windows system monitor, and it
    > shows that (by temp and voltage) both are present. However, unless I
    > am mistaken it looks like windows is not seeing two processors (only
    > one graph in Task Mgr, when setting is for '1 graph per CPU').

    Does it show TWO CPU's (actually 2+1 and 2+1) when you reboot and watch
    the POST? All of our PC-DL boards show 2 CPU's, then one in BOLD WHITE,
    and then two and one in bold white during the POST. If you don't see
    both BOLD WHITE CPU's (or a total of 4 non-bold ones) then you need to
    check your settings or that you actually have the second CPU installed.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    If you installed the second CPU after XP was installed, the OS is probably
    using the wrong HAL.
    You can check this by going into Device Manager and double clicking on the
    CPU.

    If the HAL is wrong then you need to update it to a multiprocessor version.
    There are several ways to do this. To start with, take a look at the
    following article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283

    - Tim

    In article <cgoj4h$i5b$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Tim@NoSpam.com says...
    > If you installed the second CPU after XP was installed, the OS is probably
    > using the wrong HAL.
    > You can check this by going into Device Manager and double clicking on the
    > CPU.
    >
    > If the HAL is wrong then you need to update it to a multiprocessor version.
    > There are several ways to do this. To start with, take a look at the
    > following article:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283

    Except that every Xeon CPU looks like a Dual and will be detected by XP
    / 2000 / 2003 as a dual CPU system. At least we've never had to change
    the HAL on a Xeon system when adding a second CPU.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Check your boot.ini then. I have heard of cases where the number of CPU's
    has been set there somehow overriding all else.
    - Tim

    "Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > In article <cgoj4h$i5b$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Tim@NoSpam.com says...
    >> If you installed the second CPU after XP was installed, the OS is
    >> probably
    >> using the wrong HAL.
    >> You can check this by going into Device Manager and double clicking on
    >> the
    >> CPU.
    >>
    >> If the HAL is wrong then you need to update it to a multiprocessor
    >> version.
    >> There are several ways to do this. To start with, take a look at the
    >> following article:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283
    >
    > Except that every Xeon CPU looks like a Dual and will be detected by XP
    > / 2000 / 2003 as a dual CPU system. At least we've never had to change
    > the HAL on a Xeon system when adding a second CPU.

    > spamfree999@rrohio.com
    > (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Thanks for the help guys, a re-install of XP Pro seemed to do the
    trick... (!?)

    thx,
    S.

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:22:47 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:

    >If you installed the second CPU after XP was installed, the OS is probably
    >using the wrong HAL.
    >You can check this by going into Device Manager and double clicking on the
    >CPU.
    >
    >If the HAL is wrong then you need to update it to a multiprocessor version.
    >There are several ways to do this. To start with, take a look at the
    >following article:
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283
    >
    >- Tim
    >

    ><skydigger123> wrote in message
    >> The ASUS monitoring agent using the windows system monitor, and it
    >> shows that (by temp and voltage) both are present. However, unless I
    >> am mistaken it looks like windows is not seeing two processors (only
    >> one graph in Task Mgr, when setting is for '1 graph per CPU').
    >>

    >> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:51:41 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <rv4vi01itj4h7qh700seus4o54i550mr15@4ax.com>, skydigger123
    >>>says...

    >>>Right click on the task bar, select Task Manager, and then Performance.
    >>>
    >>>--

Asus Xeon Motherboards