What is it, the hard drive or CD-ROM?

I am getting an Event ID 9 atapi error in the event log on a Windows XP
system and it gives me this error:

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

As usual, Windows likes to give out errors in computer speak. What is
IdePort1? Is it the hard drive or the CD-ROM? Clicking on the link
explains that it might be the CD-ROM, but I don't think so as it is on
the secondary channel which should be Port 3 or 4 if the numbering
starts at 0 ot 1. I know Windows is not consistant on how they number
devices. A look for IdePort1 in the MSDN KB doesn't add any helpful
information either.

Anyone have any idea how IdePort1 maps to in terms of which IDE
interface and primary or secondary channel?

James Gibbons
http://www.folding-hyperspace.com/

James, Google has something
http://tinyurl.com/2242h

"James S. Gibbons" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am getting an Event ID 9 atapi error in the event log on a Windows XP
> system and it gives me this error:
>
> The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout
period.

> As usual, Windows likes to give out errors in computer speak. What is
> IdePort1? Is it the hard drive or the CD-ROM? Clicking on the link
> explains that it might be the CD-ROM, but I don't think so as it is on
> the secondary channel which should be Port 3 or 4 if the numbering
> starts at 0 ot 1. I know Windows is not consistant on how they number
> devices. A look for IdePort1 in the MSDN KB doesn't add any helpful
> information either.
>
> Anyone have any idea how IdePort1 maps to in terms of which IDE
> interface and primary or secondary channel?
>
> James Gibbons
> http://www.folding-hyperspace.com/

"James S. Gibbons" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I am getting an Event ID 9 atapi error in the event log on a Windows XP
>system and it gives me this error:
>
>The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.
>
>For more information, see Help and Support Center at
>http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>
>As usual, Windows likes to give out errors in computer speak. What is
>IdePort1? Is it the hard drive or the CD-ROM? Clicking on the link
>explains that it might be the CD-ROM, but I don't think so as it is on
>the secondary channel which should be Port 3 or 4 if the numbering
>starts at 0 ot 1. I know Windows is not consistant on how they number
>devices. A look for IdePort1 in the MSDN KB doesn't add any helpful
>information either.
>
>Anyone have any idea how IdePort1 maps to in terms of which IDE
>interface and primary or secondary channel?
>
>James Gibbons
>http://www.folding-hyperspace.com/

Normal IDE numbering would see Port 0 assigned to the Primary IDE and
Port 1 to the secondary IDE.

Within each port the master device would be Device 0 and the slave
device would be device 1.

I would therefore suspect that there is a problem with the secondary
IDE controllor and/or whatever device(s) are connected to it.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Rich Barry wrote:
> James, Google has something
> http://tinyurl.com/2242h

Wonder why I didn't think to Google it. Google is wonderful when you
have some spyware in task manager that you want to know about. Thanks, I
will continue along this line. I don't think it has to do with the CD
unless it is because Windows is scanning it for the status as it
normally doesn't have a CD in it.