A7N8X-E or NF7?

Hi folks,

I am about to put together my fourth build, and could use your help about
the motherboard, and about the rest of the machine as well. I'm
considering the NF7-S or the A7N8X-E (or possibly the GA-7N400 Pro2 ?),
with the XP2800, or maybe the XP2500 overclocked to FSB 400, and 2x512MB
of memory.

The new machine will be primarily for CPU-intensive stuff, such as high
quality audio compression and editing, or high definition fractals, and
also some general house-office" stuff. I'm not much into games, and am not
planning to overclock, or not extensively. My highest priority is to have
a stable and trouble free machine made up of tried and tested components,
with speed the next highest priority. Third priority is a quiet system.

My present two year old computer, which is getting increasingly ragged
around the edges, has a Soyo KT400 Dragon with the Athlon 1400. I am
looking for a decent real world speed improvement, but without the hassles
of building to the cutting edge.

I will be grateful for any recommendation or advice.

Thank you all very much!

-----------------
Here is my very tentative thinking for the overall machine:

MOTHERBOARD:
ABIT NF7-S
or ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE Rev.2.0 ?
(or possibly GIGABYTE GA-7N400 Pro2 ?)
CPU:
Barton XP2800
(or XP2500 OC to FSB 400 ?)
MEMORY: 2x512MB DDR400 operating as dual channel,
HD: Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM
DVD WRITER: Dual Layer, 12X or 16X
FLOPPY/MEMORY CARD READER: MITSUMI FA404A
VIDEO CARD: Chaintech FX20 (GeForce 5200, 128MB)
CASE: EVERCASE E4252
CPU SINK/FAN:
Speeze WHISPER ROCK II, #5F263B1M3G (2700rpm, 38CFM, 26.5dB)
or Speeze "FALCONROCK" #5F286B (2300rpm, 28cfm, 25db)
CASE FANS:
Back: 12cm, NMB 4710NL-04W-B29 (72cfm, 30dB, will use at 7V)
Front: 8cm: Speeze FDC08025S1M, (37.8cfm, 25.0 DB)

--- already have: ---
POWER SUPPLY: Pc Power and Cooling, 410W
HD #2: Hitachi 120GB
SOUND CARD: Revolution 7.1
WinXP SP1 Pro

<yogi_berra@neverspamnever.org> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I am about to put together my fourth build, and could use your help about
> the motherboard, and about the rest of the machine as well. I'm
> considering the NF7-S or the A7N8X-E (or possibly the GA-7N400 Pro2 ?),
> with the XP2800, or maybe the XP2500 overclocked to FSB 400, and 2x512MB
> of memory.
>
> The new machine will be primarily for CPU-intensive stuff, such as high
> quality audio compression and editing, or high definition fractals, and
> also some general house-office" stuff. I'm not much into games, and am not
> planning to overclock, or not extensively. My highest priority is to have
> a stable and trouble free machine made up of tried and tested components,
> with speed the next highest priority. Third priority is a quiet system.
>
> My present two year old computer, which is getting increasingly ragged
> around the edges, has a Soyo KT400 Dragon with the Athlon 1400. I am
> looking for a decent real world speed improvement, but without the hassles
> of building to the cutting edge.
>
> I will be grateful for any recommendation or advice.
>
> Thank you all very much!
>
> -----------------
> Here is my very tentative thinking for the overall machine:
>
> MOTHERBOARD:
> ABIT NF7-S
> or ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE Rev.2.0 ?
> (or possibly GIGABYTE GA-7N400 Pro2 ?)
> CPU:
> Barton XP2800
> (or XP2500 OC to FSB 400 ?)
> MEMORY: 2x512MB DDR400 operating as dual channel,
> HD: Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM
> DVD WRITER: Dual Layer, 12X or 16X
> FLOPPY/MEMORY CARD READER: MITSUMI FA404A
> VIDEO CARD: Chaintech FX20 (GeForce 5200, 128MB)
> CASE: EVERCASE E4252
> CPU SINK/FAN:
> Speeze WHISPER ROCK II, #5F263B1M3G (2700rpm, 38CFM, 26.5dB)
> or Speeze "FALCONROCK" #5F286B (2300rpm, 28cfm, 25db)
> CASE FANS:
> Back: 12cm, NMB 4710NL-04W-B29 (72cfm, 30dB, will use at 7V)
> Front: 8cm: Speeze FDC08025S1M, (37.8cfm, 25.0 DB)
>
> --- already have: ---
> POWER SUPPLY: Pc Power and Cooling, 410W
> HD #2: Hitachi 120GB
> SOUND CARD: Revolution 7.1
> WinXP SP1 Pro

heres my specs, also have dual layer dvdr 12x, runs like a dream. though
maybe a pentium would suit you?

been running my cpu at that speed for 1.5 years, no issues, sisoft sandra
says its equiv to a 3200xp which is kick ass,
dont get a 2800, cause u want your ram to be runnning @ PC3200 not PC2700,
significant slowdown. with the 2500 bumped up to 200 then ur good. might
want to get 3rd party cooling though, i have and max temps i get are 48c. oh
yeah and no voltage increse required.

--
Almeyda

AMD2500XP @3200XP-11X200-2.21Ghz |
A7N8X-E Deluxe | Corsair TWINX1024 XMS3200XL 5-2-2-2 DualChannel |
HIS Excalibur 9800XT 256mb @459/398 (Omegas 2.5.67 & ATI tool 0.21 No
Artifacts)
1x80GB SATA Seagate 8mg cache | 2x40GB ATA Seagate |
SB AudigyES | ANTEC SuperLanboy 350 Case (350W SmartBlue PS) |
Doom3 @ 1024x768 Ultra High, all visuals on. (Demo1 = 43fps vcard not
o'clocked)

<yogi_berra@neverspamnever.org> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I am about to put together my fourth build, and could use your help about
> the motherboard, and about the rest of the machine as well. I'm
> considering the NF7-S or the A7N8X-E (or possibly the GA-7N400 Pro2 ?),
> with the XP2800, or maybe the XP2500 overclocked to FSB 400, and 2x512MB
> of memory.
>
> The new machine will be primarily for CPU-intensive stuff, such as high
> quality audio compression and editing, or high definition fractals, and
> also some general house-office" stuff. I'm not much into games, and am not
> planning to overclock, or not extensively. My highest priority is to have
> a stable and trouble free machine made up of tried and tested components,
> with speed the next highest priority. Third priority is a quiet system.
>
> My present two year old computer, which is getting increasingly ragged
> around the edges, has a Soyo KT400 Dragon with the Athlon 1400. I am
> looking for a decent real world speed improvement, but without the hassles
> of building to the cutting edge.
>
> I will be grateful for any recommendation or advice.
>
> Thank you all very much!
>
> -----------------
> Here is my very tentative thinking for the overall machine:
>
> MOTHERBOARD:
> ABIT NF7-S
> or ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE Rev.2.0 ?
> (or possibly GIGABYTE GA-7N400 Pro2 ?)
> CPU:
> Barton XP2800
> (or XP2500 OC to FSB 400 ?)
> MEMORY: 2x512MB DDR400 operating as dual channel,
> HD: Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM
> DVD WRITER: Dual Layer, 12X or 16X
> FLOPPY/MEMORY CARD READER: MITSUMI FA404A
> VIDEO CARD: Chaintech FX20 (GeForce 5200, 128MB)
> CASE: EVERCASE E4252
> CPU SINK/FAN:
> Speeze WHISPER ROCK II, #5F263B1M3G (2700rpm, 38CFM, 26.5dB)
> or Speeze "FALCONROCK" #5F286B (2300rpm, 28cfm, 25db)
> CASE FANS:
> Back: 12cm, NMB 4710NL-04W-B29 (72cfm, 30dB, will use at 7V)
> Front: 8cm: Speeze FDC08025S1M, (37.8cfm, 25.0 DB)
>
> --- already have: ---
> POWER SUPPLY: Pc Power and Cooling, 410W
> HD #2: Hitachi 120GB
> SOUND CARD: Revolution 7.1
> WinXP SP1 Pro

oh yeah NF7-S board as as good if not better, though its less features and
ofcourse less moneys.

--
Almeyda

AMD2500XP @3200XP-11X200-2.21Ghz |
A7N8X-E Deluxe | Corsair TWINX1024 XMS3200XL 5-2-2-2 DualChannel |
HIS Excalibur 9800XT 256mb @459/398 (Omegas 2.5.67 & ATI tool 0.21 No
Artifacts)
1x80GB SATA Seagate 8mg cache | 2x40GB ATA Seagate |
SB AudigyES | ANTEC SuperLanboy 350 Case (350W SmartBlue PS) |
Doom3 @ 1024x768 Ultra High, all visuals on. (Demo1 = 43fps vcard not
o'clocked)

yogi_berra@neverspamnever.org wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am about to put together my fourth build, and could use your help
> about the motherboard, and about the rest of the machine as well. I'm
> considering the NF7-S or the A7N8X-E (or possibly the GA-7N400 Pro2
> ?), with the XP2800, or maybe the XP2500 overclocked to FSB 400, and
> 2x512MB of memory.
>
> The new machine will be primarily for CPU-intensive stuff, such as
> high quality audio compression and editing, or high definition
> fractals, and also some general house-office" stuff. I'm not much
> into games, and am not planning to overclock, or not extensively. My
> highest priority is to have a stable and trouble free machine made up
> of tried and tested components, with speed the next highest priority.
> Third priority is a quiet system.
> -----------------
> Here is my very tentative thinking for the overall machine:
>
> MOTHERBOARD:
> ABIT NF7-S
> or ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE Rev.2.0 ?
> (or possibly GIGABYTE GA-7N400 Pro2 ?)
> CPU:
> Barton XP2800
> (or XP2500 OC to FSB 400 ?)
> MEMORY: 2x512MB DDR400 operating as dual channel,
> HD: Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM
> DVD WRITER: Dual Layer, 12X or 16X
> FLOPPY/MEMORY CARD READER: MITSUMI FA404A
> VIDEO CARD: Chaintech FX20 (GeForce 5200, 128MB)
> CASE: EVERCASE E4252
> CPU SINK/FAN:
> Speeze WHISPER ROCK II, #5F263B1M3G (2700rpm, 38CFM, 26.5dB)
> or Speeze "FALCONROCK" #5F286B (2300rpm, 28cfm, 25db)
> CASE FANS:
> Back: 12cm, NMB 4710NL-04W-B29 (72cfm, 30dB, will use at 7V)
> Front: 8cm: Speeze FDC08025S1M, (37.8cfm, 25.0 DB)
>
> --- already have: ---
> POWER SUPPLY: Pc Power and Cooling, 410W
> HD #2: Hitachi 120GB
> SOUND CARD: Revolution 7.1
> WinXP SP1 Pro

Any of the three motherboards will serve you well. I've built plenty of
systems using the Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev2 boards and quite a few with the
NF7-S. The Abit has a few more features for overclocking. The Asus boards
*never* had a problem running a Barton 2500+ at 3200 speeds.Not one has had
a problem.

RAM: stay away from the generic stuff. Crucial, Kingston and Corsair(Value
line) are good choices.

IBM sold their hard drive division to Hitachi. The Deskstar aka Deathstar
line was trouble. Try a Seagate, SATA or IDE. They offer a 5 year warranty.

Consider spending a few more bucks on a case. You already have the best PSU
on the market.

DVD burner: Pioneer 108, NEC 3500 or Plextor. Having DL(dual layer) and 16x
write speeds are a moot point if the media does not exist.

<yogi_berra@neverspamnever.org> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b99b4d3d5f13e909896a1@news.easynews.com>...
> Hi folks,
>
> I am about to put together my fourth build, and could use your help about
> the motherboard, and about the rest of the machine as well. I'm
> considering the NF7-S or the A7N8X-E ...

> Here is my very tentative thinking for the overall machine:
>
> MOTHERBOARD:
> or ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE Rev.2.0 ?
> CPU:
> Barton XP2800
> (or XP2500 OC to FSB 400 ?)
> MEMORY: 2x512MB DDR400 operating as dual channel,
> CASE: EVERCASE E4252

Well, as they say GMTA (great minds think alike). Just ordered my
A7N8X-E Deluxe from newegg and it should be here today.

I've been thinking about the rest of the system and pretty much
settled on the same specs for CPU (2500+ Barton) and good quality
PC3200 RAM. I have a new, unused Seagate 160MB 7200/8mb drive for this
box and a good Antec 400W power supply that is going to be recycled.

I was looking at cases yesterday and found the Evercase E4252B-81 to
be just the ticket, because it has front USB, audio, and Firewire
ports. They're located about mid-case level, which is better than
having the ports at the bottom, which is what you usually find
($35+shipping)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-127-047&DEPA=0

For a video card, I am pretty certain I will replace my old Geforce2
MX400 with a new Radeon....probably something like this Abit with a
Radeon 9550 chipset, because I am only a casual gamer and the price is
decent ($68).

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-123-139&depa=0

- Ted

No, I am not a newegg shill. I know there are other good dealers out
there, too.