Sign in with
Your question

How messed up is the games forum

Last response: in Forum Feedback
December 21, 2005 8:31:57 AM

It needs re-organising... seriously.

More about : messed games forum

December 21, 2005 4:28:40 PM

Init just, we are told it will be cleaned up eventually so hang in there.
December 21, 2005 5:17:05 PM

Its a mess, but htey say they're going to restructure it. If you want to add your 2 cents go to the Community category and one fo the sections is about forum changes/updates. There's an ongoing discussion there.

Mike.
Related resources
December 24, 2005 9:03:05 AM

I don’t see it. Maybe it got pushed to the back burner or perhaps fell off the stove.
December 24, 2005 6:29:25 PM

or maybe they didn't fit the program and were deleted.
December 27, 2005 2:18:46 PM

Where's the stove?
December 27, 2005 4:34:10 PM

Hard to tell with all the smoke being blown up everybody’s arse.
December 28, 2005 12:19:35 PM

Do you smell gas? I think there might be a gas leak somewhere..

It will eventually happen. I know I got a PM asking if I wanted to be the Games Forum Mod but since 99.8% of my posts take place while I'm bored at work, I didn't think it would be something I should be doing.
December 28, 2005 2:32:21 PM

What will happen, a structure change? The only change I see coming is making more subfolders. :lol:  I wouldn’t want to be a Mod if that means walking the halls. Maybe if someone could call me on my cell, if there is a problem to solve. ;) 
December 29, 2005 5:54:32 PM

I wouldn't make a forum per game.. I would make it per type/style maybe?

Action/RPG/MMORPG/etc.

Kind of like the Other forum.. babble goes on, yet everyone keeps up with it.
December 30, 2005 10:16:43 AM

I’d say there are only two games. PC and console, but were only wasting our breath. There are too many options where to post, but oh well. What can we do? There’s a Poll.

Strike
Take over
Make own forum
Other
;) 
December 30, 2005 6:07:37 PM

Ok, the idea I have heard most is to have categories by device type, xbox, pc, etc.

Then we have the problem of too many games. One idea is to make them all subforums (see motherboard subforums in Hardware). Then one could give an option to browse a forum with all its subforums. Again using motherboard as an example, one could have a link to browse motherboard and all of its subforums (i.e. motherboard types). This way, you can quickly see all the new posts for motherboards.
December 30, 2005 11:21:08 PM

Device type sounds a whole lot better and I think setting the games up like the mobo section is a good ideal. Anything is better then all the categories below, which is confusing and kind of messy.

General
Arcade
Action
PC
Console
Driving
Role playing
Simulation
Strategy
Shooting
Etc,Etc
Other games
January 12, 2006 11:00:58 PM

Just released the subforum showing... see the bulb icons in the hardware section.

I think from the feedback received, organize by device type NOT the type of the game (e.g. by Nintendo, not by 'action/adventure'). The subforums idea with the new 'bulb' showing ( :lol:  ) should make it easy to browse new posts.
January 12, 2006 11:07:24 PM

ARGH WTF! A bulb?! Why? Oh, yeah, and you already know we hate the subforum orgy.
January 12, 2006 11:13:46 PM

I think the 'bulb' is a GREAT feature. You can either look at all the new posts at a high level, or dive down into the subforums. This is actually a feature that has been requested.

Here's how it applies:

In motherboard, I have been told by some that all motherboards are the same, and have similar problems. For those folks, they want to see all together, and don't want to dril down into ten's of subforums. So now they can see them together. For others, they can just go to the motherboard that interests them.

Usually newbs drill down, and experienced folks like the high level view.
January 12, 2006 11:16:35 PM

I'm liking your idea, but a bulb?! Also, could you add a feature in the profile to select just to show the high level forum with the subforums included? So, it always shows that view?
January 12, 2006 11:24:31 PM

I know... bulb stands out, but if you have better ideas of an icon, would like to hear.
January 12, 2006 11:31:27 PM

ROFL, anything but a bulb. How about the '+' sign, a la Windows XP. That is very user friendly. Or perhaps the Enter key sign, but reversed:

Quote:
|
->
January 13, 2006 12:24:16 AM

I love the feature. We can change the icon later but that's not what's really important about the feature.
January 13, 2006 1:21:11 AM

I changed the icon already.
January 13, 2006 11:11:41 AM

Randy idea. Agreed.
January 13, 2006 5:00:28 PM

There are tradeoffs between cute little icons and textual representation. This drill down feature is really for power users (and not available if not logged in), so the question is do they figure it out, or we need to spell it out.
January 13, 2006 10:50:34 PM

...or make a more intuative icon...
January 14, 2006 2:15:45 AM

Just trying to help but in answer to

Quote:
do they figure it out, or we need to spell it out

Most people don't figure out things like this right off the bat.

OH well, not that big-a-deal.
January 14, 2006 2:22:33 AM

Hi russel,

The 'see all' icon is great, but if people cannot figure out what is going, would they figure out that the button is causing drill into subforums? The point is that the explanation of that option is too many words long.
January 14, 2006 3:53:12 AM

NO problem.
!