P4P800-E Dlx -- 32Bit data transfer y/n?

P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0c, 2GB RAM, WD SATA HD (C:), WD IDE HD (D:), XP Home.

I see that the default BIOS setting for 32Bit data transfer (Main>IDE setup)
is "disabled." I'm curious why one would not use 32Bit data transfer. I've
tried both settings and the system works in both modes. Wouldn't data
transfer be faster with 32Bit enabled?

John
6 answers Last reply
More about p4p800 32bit data transfer

    John Blaustein wrote:
    > P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0c, 2GB RAM, WD SATA HD (C:), WD IDE HD (D:),
    > XP Home.
    > I see that the default BIOS setting for 32Bit data transfer (Main>IDE
    > setup) is "disabled." I'm curious why one would not use 32Bit data
    > transfer. I've tried both settings and the system works in both
    > modes. Wouldn't data transfer be faster with 32Bit enabled?

    32bit is more efficient, but since all in all physical disc reading/writing
    is the current limitation, your computing experience will not be changed by
    changing this, just as you describe. Leave at 32 bit.

    http://www.rojakpot.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?Lang=0&bogno=3

    I wonder why Asus defaulted this BIOS setting to NO--OR if DMA is used, does
    it matter??

    MikeSp
    --------------------------------
    "Egil Solberg" <egilso@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > John Blaustein wrote:
    >> P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0c, 2GB RAM, WD SATA HD (C:), WD IDE HD (D:),
    >> XP Home.
    >> I see that the default BIOS setting for 32Bit data transfer (Main>IDE
    >> setup) is "disabled." I'm curious why one would not use 32Bit data
    >> transfer. I've tried both settings and the system works in both
    >> modes. Wouldn't data transfer be faster with 32Bit enabled?
    >
    > 32bit is more efficient, but since all in all physical disc
    > reading/writing is the current limitation, your computing experience will
    > not be changed by changing this, just as you describe. Leave at 32 bit.
    >
    > http://www.rojakpot.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?Lang=0&bogno=3

    Yes. Info from ARP

    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=8&var1=0&var2=214

    32-bit Transfer Mode
    Quick Review

    This BIOS feature allows you to command the IDE controller to combine two
    16-bit hard disk reads into a single 32-bit data transfer to the processor.
    This greatly improves the performance of the IDE controller as well as the
    PCI bus.

    Therefore, it is highly advisable to enable 32-bit Transfer Mode. If you
    disable it, data transfers from the IDE controller to the processor will
    only occur in 16-bits chunks.

    Michael S. wrote:
    > I wonder why Asus defaulted this BIOS setting to NO--OR if DMA is
    > used, does it matter??

    I don't think DMA or not should matter, but it will probably free up some
    space on the bus enabling 32bit transfers. Practical when the bus is already
    loaded, which happens not regularly.

    "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0c, 2GB RAM, WD SATA HD (C:), WD IDE HD (D:), XP
    Home.

    > I see that the default BIOS setting for 32Bit data transfer (Main>IDE
    setup)
    > is "disabled." I'm curious why one would not use 32Bit data transfer.
    I've
    > tried both settings and the system works in both modes. Wouldn't data
    > transfer be faster with 32Bit enabled?
    >
    > John
    The setting only affects operation during the very first stage of boot,
    when the BIOS i still controlling the disk drive. Once XP is loaded, a
    full '32bit' driver takes over. The 32bit designation in this case,
    doesn't have any effect on the speed that data is actually transferred,
    but the 'memory map' used for the transfers. A '32bit' driver, can
    transfer the data anywhere into the memory space addressed by a 32bit
    address (4GB). The 16bit driver, is limited to doing the transfer into the
    low memory area, and if data needs to go to a higher part of memory, then
    performing a second memory-memory transfer to complete the transaction.
    The boot section of W2K/XP, largely only transfers data into the lower
    area of memory anyway, till it's own IDE driver is loaded. Hence the
    little/no change in speed that is seen.

    Best Wishes

    Roger,

    Thank you.

    John

    "Roger Hamlett" <rogerspamignored@ttelmah.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> P4P800-E Deluxe, P4/3.0c, 2GB RAM, WD SATA HD (C:), WD IDE HD (D:), XP
    > Home.
    >>
    >> I see that the default BIOS setting for 32Bit data transfer (Main>IDE
    > setup)
    >> is "disabled." I'm curious why one would not use 32Bit data transfer.
    > I've
    >> tried both settings and the system works in both modes. Wouldn't data
    >> transfer be faster with 32Bit enabled?
    >>
    >> John
    > The setting only affects operation during the very first stage of boot,
    > when the BIOS i still controlling the disk drive. Once XP is loaded, a
    > full '32bit' driver takes over. The 32bit designation in this case,
    > doesn't have any effect on the speed that data is actually transferred,
    > but the 'memory map' used for the transfers. A '32bit' driver, can
    > transfer the data anywhere into the memory space addressed by a 32bit
    > address (4GB). The 16bit driver, is limited to doing the transfer into the
    > low memory area, and if data needs to go to a higher part of memory, then
    > performing a second memory-memory transfer to complete the transaction.
    > The boot section of W2K/XP, largely only transfers data into the lower
    > area of memory anyway, till it's own IDE driver is loaded. Hence the
    > little/no change in speed that is seen.
    >
    > Best Wishes

Asus Western Digital HD Motherboards