cd rom just starts spinning

I assume you are hearing something. How do you KNOW it is
the CD-ROM drive ?

What kind of computer, desktop of laptop ?

Does the activity light come on on the CD-ROM when it
is "spinning without a cd in it" ?

Does the CD-ROM drive work normally otherwise ?

out
>a cd in it. how do i fix this....
>
>jason
>.

Hi,
My cd/rw rom drive is constantly reading as if there is a
disk inside, but there is non in and activity light come
on on the CD-ROM when it is "spinning without a cd in it".
During that time PC freezes.
In the Event Viewer System page there are 'atapi' error
messages: The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not
respond within the timeout period. Event ID:9.
In safe mode it CD drive works fine.
In the explorer when I click on the drive it comes up as
there is a blank disk.
If I have a disk in the drive it is read using explorer
and using Easy CD Creator 5 I am able to burn disks.
I have tried to uninstall driver, disable it, flash the
drive, install Easy CD Creator 5 and uninstall...
I am using Windows XP Home SP1 with all Microsoft
patches, it is Presario 5372EA with Philips CDD4851 cd-
r/rw and I also have separate DVD drive.
I have not done any hardware changes and software install.
Before this problem I was using XP burning, but now I
cannot...

Any ideas...
Thanks.
Jaddy