A7N8X-E nvidia 10/100 Ethernet problem - My Experience.

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2004 3:05:39 PM

I just wanted to share an experience that I had with a problem with
the A7N8X-E mb.

It started when I noticed that my CPU usage as reported by task
manager was at 30% with no apps and very little processes running. I
loaded Ad-Aware to make sure I had no spyware running.

I downloaded an App called Process Explorer which showed that
Interrupts and DPC's were the culprits of the cpu 30& Kernal usage.

I began shutting down hardware components in the bios and rebooting
until I found the device that was causing the problem - Nvidia 10/100
ethernet controller. I loaded the latest nvidia drivers and updated
the mb bios to version 1012 and this did not fix the problem.

I then remembered that I had a 1G Marvell ethernet controller on board
so I enabled it by changing the jumper (although it was supposed to be
enabled by default). I then disabled the nvidia ethernet in the bios
and connected my ethernet cable to the 1G port and my CPU usage went
down to 0% and I had no DPC's.

I would appreciate any opinions concerning the nvidia 10/100 ethernet
controller. I am assuming that it is a HW problem at this point.

thanks,

Don
August 28, 2004 5:01:21 PM

Sometime on, or about Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:05:39 -0600, Don Hewitt
wrote:

> I just wanted to share an experience that I had with a problem with
> the A7N8X-E mb.
>
> It started when I noticed that my CPU usage as reported by task
> manager was at 30% with no apps and very little processes running. I
> loaded Ad-Aware to make sure I had no spyware running.
>
> I downloaded an App called Process Explorer which showed that
> Interrupts and DPC's were the culprits of the cpu 30& Kernal usage.
>
> I began shutting down hardware components in the bios and rebooting
> until I found the device that was causing the problem - Nvidia 10/100
> ethernet controller. I loaded the latest nvidia drivers and updated
> the mb bios to version 1012 and this did not fix the problem.
>
> I then remembered that I had a 1G Marvell ethernet controller on board
> so I enabled it by changing the jumper (although it was supposed to be
> enabled by default). I then disabled the nvidia ethernet in the bios
> and connected my ethernet cable to the 1G port and my CPU usage went
> down to 0% and I had no DPC's.
>
> I would appreciate any opinions concerning the nvidia 10/100 ethernet
> controller. I am assuming that it is a HW problem at this point.
>
> thanks,
>
> Don

I've used the nVidia ethernet port before (on the original A7N8X and
my current A7N8X-E board and have never noticed this behavior before.
Are you sure that some rogue program wasn't using the port for
something?

I've found that while AdAware is a very good program it does miss
things. I also use Spybot and PestPatrol as well. I've seen one catch
things the others have missed.

Sam
--
To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
Anonymous

Same here...i have the gb port disabled and am only using the 10/100
port....no problems here....
I agree with the last post...could also be a bad port...if the nic is bad it
could be incorectly handling packets and that could be your issue.
Steve

"Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
> Sometime on, or about Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:05:39 -0600, Don Hewitt
> wrote:
>
> > I just wanted to share an experience that I had with a problem with
> > the A7N8X-E mb.
> >
> > It started when I noticed that my CPU usage as reported by task
> > manager was at 30% with no apps and very little processes running. I
> > loaded Ad-Aware to make sure I had no spyware running.
> >
> > I downloaded an App called Process Explorer which showed that
> > Interrupts and DPC's were the culprits of the cpu 30& Kernal usage.
> >
> > I began shutting down hardware components in the bios and rebooting
> > until I found the device that was causing the problem - Nvidia 10/100
> > ethernet controller. I loaded the latest nvidia drivers and updated
> > the mb bios to version 1012 and this did not fix the problem.
> >
> > I then remembered that I had a 1G Marvell ethernet controller on board
> > so I enabled it by changing the jumper (although it was supposed to be
> > enabled by default). I then disabled the nvidia ethernet in the bios
> > and connected my ethernet cable to the 1G port and my CPU usage went
> > down to 0% and I had no DPC's.
> >
> > I would appreciate any opinions concerning the nvidia 10/100 ethernet
> > controller. I am assuming that it is a HW problem at this point.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Don
>
> I've used the nVidia ethernet port before (on the original A7N8X and
> my current A7N8X-E board and have never noticed this behavior before.
> Are you sure that some rogue program wasn't using the port for
> something?
>
> I've found that while AdAware is a very good program it does miss
> things. I also use Spybot and PestPatrol as well. I've seen one catch
> things the others have missed.
>
> Sam
> --
> To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
Related resources
August 30, 2004 8:48:11 AM

Don;

I noticed numerous "read_socket_data: recv failure" logged Samba errors with
the NVidia controller, which went almost to zero when I switched to the
Marvell using otherwise identical settings, in XP Pro. The data transfer
rate increased, too.

TomC

"Don Hewitt" <don@home.com> wrote in message
>I just wanted to share an experience that I had with a problem with
> the A7N8X-E mb.
>
> It started when I noticed that my CPU usage as reported by task
> manager was at 30% with no apps and very little processes running. I
> loaded Ad-Aware to make sure I had no spyware running.
>
> I downloaded an App called Process Explorer which showed that
> Interrupts and DPC's were the culprits of the cpu 30& Kernal usage.
>
> I began shutting down hardware components in the bios and rebooting
> until I found the device that was causing the problem - Nvidia 10/100
> ethernet controller. I loaded the latest nvidia drivers and updated
> the mb bios to version 1012 and this did not fix the problem.
>
> I then remembered that I had a 1G Marvell ethernet controller on board
> so I enabled it by changing the jumper (although it was supposed to be
> enabled by default). I then disabled the nvidia ethernet in the bios
> and connected my ethernet cable to the 1G port and my CPU usage went
> down to 0% and I had no DPC's.
>
> I would appreciate any opinions concerning the nvidia 10/100 ethernet
> controller. I am assuming that it is a HW problem at this point.
>
> thanks,
>
> Don
June 21, 2009 5:04:46 PM

In device manager, if you look at the Nvidia drivers in use for the enumerator or the nvidia ethernet 10/100 you will see they are dated 2004. The devices become active and show up in device manager with no errors, but the ethernet device will not receive any packets, and will not renew its IP address.
There are apparently no newer drivers for the devices available from Asus (A7N8X-XE) than the 2004 versions, which are placed on the wrong section of the board's support drivers site under IDE.
This is the most frustrating NIC I have ever had to fiddle with.
The exact same thing happened with another Nvida chipset board I had to wrangle with, a Gigabyte ga7n400-pro2, both versions - 1.0 and 2.0. These boards had drivers from the same period, albeit a different ethernet chip with no teer-mounted enumerator, but they also failed to get the ethermet device to send and receive. All three of these devices have been taken off line and replaced with a pci ethernet card (I only have so much time and patience to devote to a given device). Eventually, I needed to get one of the Gigabyte boards to utilize it's ethernet device, so after much research, I finally found a generic driver somewhere on line, and got both boards running ethernet, finally.
This Nvidia device is a nightmare. Apparently the generic Nvidia drivers (non-asus) that are current run through an installer which uninstalls the old drivers and does not re-enable the enumerator causing a device error.
Generic drivers fare no better, with any attempt to update them in that manner resulting in a "cannot update this ddirver" response.
This page is as close as I have come to finding an answer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Next I'll be calling Asus for tech support, and begin getting the royal run-around between them and nVidia.

Thanks, Dave
!