CUBX-E BIOS drivers

Hi, all

My brother-in-law has a CUBX-E board and wants to update the BIOS. What is
the difference between Asus' version 1007.A and version 1008.004?

For that matter, does the Intel Chipset Software Utility version (2.30.021)
offer any real benefits?

Any and all replies would certainly be appreciated.

ed.

Paul

Splendid

In article <A7-dnX5Xo5w_hazcRVn-sw@comcast.com>, "ed collins"
<emacduffie@NO_SP*M.comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> My brother-in-law has a CUBX-E board and wants to update the BIOS. What is
> the difference between Asus' version 1007.A and version 1008.004?
>
> For that matter, does the Intel Chipset Software Utility version (2.30.021)
> offer any real benefits?
>
> Any and all replies would certainly be appreciated.
>
> ed.

If the board is working, why would you take chances with it ?
In the last week, a couple of people have messed around with
their systems, leaving them in a non-working state. Why
join them ?

On the download page, the "More" link next to 1007.A says "First
release", which I find hard to believe. The Beta section has
1008.004 and the "More" link for 1008.004 says:

1. Fix errors to find wrong size of memory with full DIMMS
under 133MHz FSB.
2. Microcode update for PIII D 68A.
3. Revise CPU multiplier handling for unlocked CPU.

Unless you have a memory upgrade in the works, I don't see
much reason to update to that one.

You can check for INFINST on the Intel site, but be aware
that there are probably a couple of different "streams",
one for older motherboards, something for 875/865, and
the latest ones for 925/915. (Does WindowsUpdate install
these too ?)

Use the pulldown menu, chipsets, desktop, then 440 (as in
440BX motherboard chipset):
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Support_Intel.asp

Use a release earlier than 4.0 ?
http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/sb/CS-009270.htm

Again, not much incentive to update, if the board and OS
have been working fine.

Paul