Step By Step Instructions

I am looking to download really usefull step by step instructions
to set up a wireless network on WnXP using Belkin router,
with laptop with Belkin Wireless Notebook Card.

I need something I can sit down and read over very carefully.
Belkins own instructions do not do that for me.

--

Regards
Robert

    www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

    Carey
    "Glenallan" <glenallan_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I am looking to download really usefull step by step instructions
    > to set up a wireless network on WnXP using Belkin router,
    > with laptop with Belkin Wireless Notebook Card.
    >
    > I need something I can sit down and read over very carefully.
    > Belkins own instructions do not do that for me.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    > Robert
    > --------

    May be this can Help.
    Installing Network: http://www.ezlan.net/installing.html

    File Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    Connection Diagram: http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

    Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote
    > www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
    >
    > Carey

    Thank you kindly for your response.
    Looks really good and just exactly what I want.

    I shall print it off tomorrow.

    Thank you again

    Robert
    -------

    "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    > www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
    >
    > Carey

    How do I 'enable' my 'Local Area Connection' Icon

    It is not visible and message says I sjhould activate the service.

    Thanks again...
    Robert
    ------------

    If the icon appears, but is shaded out, right-click on it and select enable.
    Otherwise you will need to install a network card.

    > If the icon appears, but is shaded out, right-click on it and select
    > enable. Otherwise you will need to install a network card.
    >
    > Carey

    When I look in the Device Manager I see
    the following 4 Network Adaptors

    1394 Net Adaptor
    Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL PPP
    Belkin 54 Mbos Network Adaptor
    SIS 900- Based PCI EthernetAdaptor.

    These do not show in the Star / Control Panel /
    Network Connections page

    The above devices are reported as enabled and working properly.
    They are not greyed out, Carey. They are just not there.

    Puzzled.

    Cheers...Robert
    -----------------
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    You mention having a desktop and a laptop. Which PC are you referring to in
    this most recent response and what operating system is it running?

    > "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    >> If the icon appears, but is shaded out, right-click on it and select
    >> enable. Otherwise you will need to install a network card.
    >>
    >> Carey
    >
    > When I look in the Device Manager I see
    > the following 4 Network Adaptors
    >
    > 1394 Net Adaptor
    > Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL PPP
    > Belkin 54 Mbos Network Adaptor
    > SIS 900- Based PCI EthernetAdaptor.
    >
    > These do not show in the Star / Control Panel /
    > Network Connections page
    >
    > The above devices are reported as enabled and working properly.
    > They are not greyed out, Carey. They are just not there.
    >
    > Puzzled.
    >
    > Cheers...Robert
    > -----------------

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    > You mention having a desktop and a laptop. Which PC are you referring to
    > in this most recent response and what operating system is it running?

    It is an HP Pavilion t430.uk running WinXP with
    Service Pack 2 installed (about 9 months old)
    256mb DDR / 2 .7 Gh Celeron /120 GB HDD

    This will be the Base machine.
    ------------------------------

    I intend to link a brand new Laptop
    Packard-Bell easynote H5
    Pentium 4 / 3.2Gh 60 G HDD
    Running WinXP with SP2 to it.

    later on I want to introduce an older
    Desktop Packard-Bell on Win 98 but
    that's for another time

    Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

    Regards ....Robert
    ------------------
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    What do you see in your Network Connections icon in your control panel?

    > "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    >> You mention having a desktop and a laptop. Which PC are you referring to
    >> in this most recent response and what operating system is it running?
    >>

    > It is an HP Pavilion t430.uk running WinXP with
    > Service Pack 2 installed (about 9 months old)
    > 256mb DDR / 2 .7 Gh Celeron /120 GB HDD
    >
    > This will be the Base machine.
    > ------------------------------
    >

    > I intend to link a brand new Laptop
    > Packard-Bell easynote H5
    > Pentium 4 / 3.2Gh 60 G HDD
    > Running WinXP with SP2 to it.
    >
    > later on I want to introduce an older
    > Desktop Packard-Bell on Win 98 but
    > that's for another time
    >
    > Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.
    >
    > Regards ....Robert
    > ------------------

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    > What do you see in your Network Connections icon in your control panel?
    >
    > Carey

    It is headed Network Connections.
    Down the LH side of the sreen it says.

    Create New Connection
    Setup a home or small office network
    Change Windows Firewall
    ---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here on
    the
    main part of the screen)
    SEE ALSO
    Network troubleshooter
    ---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here on
    the
    main part of the screen)
    OTHER PLACES

    Control Panel
    My Network Places
    My Documents
    My Computer
    -----------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here on
    the
    main part of the screen)
    DETAILS
    Network Connections
    System Folder

    That's it. There is nothing on the field where you'd expect to see the
    icons.
    It does of course say that the Network has to be enabled as stated
    previously.

    Cheers...Robert.
    -----------------
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I would recommend you remove/uninstall all of the network devices in the
    Device Manager and then allow the computer to search and locate/install them
    again.

    > "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    >> What do you see in your Network Connections icon in your control panel?
    >>
    >> Carey
    >
    > It is headed Network Connections.
    > Down the LH side of the sreen it says.
    >
    > Create New Connection
    > Setup a home or small office network
    > Change Windows Firewall
    > ---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here
    > on
    > the
    > main part of the screen)
    > SEE ALSO
    > Network troubleshooter
    > ---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here
    > on
    > the
    > main part of the screen)
    > OTHER PLACES
    >
    > Control Panel
    > My Network Places
    > My Documents
    > My Computer
    > -----------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here
    > on
    > the
    > main part of the screen)
    > DETAILS
    > Network Connections
    > System Folder
    >

    > That's it. There is nothing on the field where you'd expect to see the
    > icons.
    > It does of course say that the Network has to be enabled as stated
    > previously.
    >
    > Cheers...Robert.
    > -----------------

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    > What do you see in your Network Connections icon in your control panel?
    >
    > Carey

    PS. I cannot start the Network Setup Wizard.either.
    Is this a clue.?? Suppose I restore to an earlier time??
    Would that help.

    Cheers...Robert
    -----------------
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Once again: I would recommend you remove/uninstall all of the network

    > "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    >> What do you see in your Network Connections icon in your control panel?
    >>
    >> Carey
    >

    > PS. I cannot start the Network Setup Wizard.either.
    > Is this a clue.?? Suppose I restore to an earlier time??
    > Would that help.
    >
    > Cheers...Robert
    > -----------------

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    >I would recommend you remove/uninstall all of the network devices in the
    >Device Manager and then allow the computer to search and locate/install
    >them again.
    >
    > Carey

    Carey,

    OK. That is what I will do.
    Thanks for having a look at the problems.
    I just 'know' that your setup instructions will
    work once I get access to the Icon.

    Cheers...Robert
    -----------------
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    "Glenallan" <glenallan_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    >> What do you see in your Network Connections icon in your control panel?
    >>
    >> Carey
    >
    > It is headed Network Connections.
    > Down the LH side of the sreen it says.
    >
    > Create New Connection
    > Setup a home or small office network
    > Change Windows Firewall
    > ---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here
    > on
    > the
    > main part of the screen)
    > SEE ALSO
    > Network troubleshooter
    > ---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here
    > on
    > the
    > main part of the screen)
    > OTHER PLACES
    >
    > Control Panel
    > My Network Places
    > My Documents
    > My Computer
    > -----------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here
    > on
    > the
    > main part of the screen)
    > DETAILS
    > Network Connections
    > System Folder
    >

    > That's it. There is nothing on the field where you'd expect to see the
    > icons.
    > It does of course say that the Network has to be enabled as stated
    > previously.
    >
    > Cheers...Robert.
    > -----------------

    Hi,

    Can you go to control panel, add or remove programmes, click on add/remove
    window components, scroll down to networking services, click on it then
    click properties and confirm that the following services are selected:

    Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client
    Peer-to-peer
    Simple TCP/IP Services
    UPnP User Interface

    If they aren't there, add them and reboot. If they are there cancel out and
    right click on My Computer then click on Manage.

    Go down to Services and Applications and click on services. Look for
    Network Connections. Status should be Started, Start Up Type should be
    manual. If it is not started, double click on it and click start where it
    says Service Status. Change from disabled to manual if it says disabled.

Wireless Belkin Wireless Networking