Step By Step Instructions

I am looking to download really usefull step by step instructions
to set up a wireless network on WnXP using Belkin router,
with laptop with Belkin Wireless Notebook Card.

I need something I can sit down and read over very carefully.
Belkins own instructions do not do that for me.

--

Regards
Robert

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey
"Glenallan" <glenallan_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am looking to download really usefull step by step instructions
> to set up a wireless network on WnXP using Belkin router,
> with laptop with Belkin Wireless Notebook Card.
>
> I need something I can sit down and read over very carefully.
> Belkins own instructions do not do that for me.
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Robert
> --------

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

May be this can Help.
Installing Network: http://www.ezlan.net/installing.html

File Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

Connection Diagram: http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote
> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>
> Carey

Thank you kindly for your response.
Looks really good and just exactly what I want.

I shall print it off tomorrow.

Thank you again

Robert
-------

"Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>
> Carey

How do I 'enable' my 'Local Area Connection' Icon

It is not visible and message says I sjhould activate the service.

Thanks again...
Robert
------------

If the icon appears, but is shaded out, right-click on it and select enable.
Otherwise you will need to install a network card.

> If the icon appears, but is shaded out, right-click on it and select
> enable. Otherwise you will need to install a network card.
>
> Carey

When I look in the Device Manager I see
the following 4 Network Adaptors

1394 Net Adaptor
Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL PPP
Belkin 54 Mbos Network Adaptor
SIS 900- Based PCI EthernetAdaptor.

These do not show in the Star / Control Panel /
Network Connections page

The above devices are reported as enabled and working properly.
They are not greyed out, Carey. They are just not there.

Puzzled.

Cheers...Robert
-----------------

You mention having a desktop and a laptop. Which PC are you referring to in
this most recent response and what operating system is it running?

> You mention having a desktop and a laptop. Which PC are you referring to
> in this most recent response and what operating system is it running?

It is an HP Pavilion t430.uk running WinXP with
Service Pack 2 installed (about 9 months old)
256mb DDR / 2 .7 Gh Celeron /120 GB HDD

This will be the Base machine.
------------------------------

I intend to link a brand new Laptop
Packard-Bell easynote H5
Pentium 4 / 3.2Gh 60 G HDD
Running WinXP with SP2 to it.

later on I want to introduce an older
Desktop Packard-Bell on Win 98 but
that's for another time

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

Regards ....Robert
------------------

What do you see in your Network Connections icon in your control panel?

> What do you see in your Network Connections icon in your control panel?
>
> Carey

It is headed Network Connections.
Down the LH side of the sreen it says.

Create New Connection
Setup a home or small office network
Change Windows Firewall
---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here on
the
main part of the screen)
SEE ALSO
Network troubleshooter
---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here on
the
main part of the screen)
OTHER PLACES

Control Panel
My Network Places
My Documents
My Computer
-----------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here on
the
main part of the screen)
DETAILS
Network Connections
System Folder

That's it. There is nothing on the field where you'd expect to see the
icons.
It does of course say that the Network has to be enabled as stated
previously.

Cheers...Robert.
-----------------

I would recommend you remove/uninstall all of the network devices in the
Device Manager and then allow the computer to search and locate/install them
again.

> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>> What do you see in your Network Connections icon in your control panel?
>>
>> Carey
>
> It is headed Network Connections.
> Down the LH side of the sreen it says.
>
> Create New Connection
> Setup a home or small office network
> Change Windows Firewall
> ---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here
> on
> the
> main part of the screen)
> SEE ALSO
> Network troubleshooter
> ---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here
> on
> the
> main part of the screen)
> OTHER PLACES
>
> Control Panel
> My Network Places
> My Documents
> My Computer
> -----------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here
> on
> the
> main part of the screen)
> DETAILS
> Network Connections
> System Folder
>

> That's it. There is nothing on the field where you'd expect to see the
> icons.
> It does of course say that the Network has to be enabled as stated
> previously.
>
> Cheers...Robert.
> -----------------

"Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> What do you see in your Network Connections icon in your control panel?
>
> Carey

PS. I cannot start the Network Setup Wizard.either.
Is this a clue.?? Suppose I restore to an earlier time??
Would that help.

Cheers...Robert
-----------------

Once again: I would recommend you remove/uninstall all of the network

>I would recommend you remove/uninstall all of the network devices in the
>Device Manager and then allow the computer to search and locate/install
>them again.
>
> Carey

Carey,

OK. That is what I will do.
Thanks for having a look at the problems.
I just 'know' that your setup instructions will
work once I get access to the Icon.

Cheers...Robert
-----------------

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Glenallan" <glenallan_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>> What do you see in your Network Connections icon in your control panel?
>>
>> Carey
>
> It is headed Network Connections.
> Down the LH side of the sreen it says.
>
> Create New Connection
> Setup a home or small office network
> Change Windows Firewall
> ---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here
> on
> the
> main part of the screen)
> SEE ALSO
> Network troubleshooter
> ---------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here
> on
> the
> main part of the screen)
> OTHER PLACES
>
> Control Panel
> My Network Places
> My Documents
> My Computer
> -----------------------------------------| (No Icons appear here
> on
> the
> main part of the screen)
> DETAILS
> Network Connections
> System Folder
>

> That's it. There is nothing on the field where you'd expect to see the
> icons.
> It does of course say that the Network has to be enabled as stated
> previously.
>
> Cheers...Robert.
> -----------------

Hi,

Can you go to control panel, add or remove programmes, click on add/remove
window components, scroll down to networking services, click on it then
click properties and confirm that the following services are selected:

Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client
Peer-to-peer
Simple TCP/IP Services
UPnP User Interface

If they aren't there, add them and reboot. If they are there cancel out and
right click on My Computer then click on Manage.

Go down to Services and Applications and click on services. Look for
Network Connections. Status should be Started, Start Up Type should be
manual. If it is not started, double click on it and click start where it
says Service Status. Change from disabled to manual if it says disabled.