Enable 32 Bit transfer in BIOS IDE setting?

Enable 32 Bit transfer in BIOS IDE setting?

In a P4C800E-Deluxe...
The guide does not give a default. Will the motherboard revert to 16 bit if
you don't?

Jorge
6 answers Last reply
More about enable transfer bios setting

    Jorge E. Ravelo wrote:
    > Enable 32 Bit transfer in BIOS IDE setting?

    Yes. See post from yesterday as well.

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 02:04:08 -0400, "Jorge E. Ravelo"
    <jorge@ravelo.org> wrote:

    >Enable 32 Bit transfer in BIOS IDE setting?
    >
    >In a P4C800E-Deluxe...
    >The guide does not give a default. Will the motherboard revert to 16 bit if
    >you don't?
    >
    >Jorge

    I set all mine to 32 Bit transfers. I notice a measurable difference
    in boot time (several seconds) when loading XP if my boot drive (WD74g
    Raptor SATA) does not have 32 bit transfers enabled. Graphically,
    when XP loads and I watch the little loading bar under the logo, with
    32 bit enabled it only makes 2 passes and then launches to the
    desktop, with 32 bit disabled, it makes 4 passes. Once it is into the
    operating system I suspect that it does not make any difference as XP
    handles disk management by itself.

    Ender

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

    "Ender" <enderwiggin3rd@SBhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I set all mine to 32 Bit transfers. I notice a measurable difference
    > in boot time (several seconds) when loading XP if my boot drive (WD74g
    > Raptor SATA) does not have 32 bit transfers enabled. Graphically,
    > when XP loads and I watch the little loading bar under the logo, with
    > 32 bit enabled it only makes 2 passes and then launches to the
    > desktop, with 32 bit disabled, it makes 4 passes. Once it is into the
    > operating system I suspect that it does not make any difference as XP
    > handles disk management by itself.

    My WD Raptor SATA 74GB shows in the BIOS as supporting both MWDMA 2 and UDMA
    5; I set it at the latter, is that correct?

    Also, should I set my IDE Zip drive to 32-bit transfers?

    QZ wrote:

    > My WD Raptor SATA 74GB shows in the BIOS as supporting both MWDMA 2
    > and UDMA 5; I set it at the latter, is that correct?

    How can this be, if the drive is SATA? Anyways, UDMA5 sounds much more
    reasonable than mwDMA2.
  5. Hey guys, according to everything that i can research about the whole 32-bit setting in some bios's, its kinda a joke because the whole sata channel is a 16x2 stepping transfer, when you turn on the 32 bit transfer it in a way simulates 32 bit, and as someone said, once you get to you OS of choice it takes over.

    As a little info to people who dont know, you can go under device manager in the control panel, and pull up the device SATA or depending on how old your machine is, IDE controller and check to make sure that your system is designating your drive to the correct UDMA, since this is what system xp uses to regulate disk access(hence, why it doesnt matter if you tag 32 bit or not). UDMA scales between 1-6(Im fairly sure theres no 0 :> ) and if you are running a sata drive with 3.0 it should be UDMA 6.

    The only reason i gave the beginner course in device management is because i have seen a lot of new computers hear lately where xp picked PIO mode, dont know the official reason why, but it seems to happen on newer drives more than mid range drives, in my experience.

    Also, even though i have heard from multiple sources it doesnt matter, I always bind my IDE and SATA controllers, mostly because xp associates them as one, and once less process to get to what it needs microscopically must make a difference.
  6. hahaha, I just realised that this was a 4 year old post, man i need to pull my head outta my arse

Asus BIOS Motherboards