BIOS Setup PnP OS Setting XP?

Several years ago when I last paid any attention to the issue for W98[SE]
the correct setting in mobo BIOS setup for PnP OS was YES. If one reads the
description in BIOS setup then it suggests that yes is the correct answer
when one is booting a PnP OS.

Win98[SE] is a PNP OS as is XP and W2K3. YET I have recently seen
repeatedly posts that say set the PnP OS BIOS setting to NO for XP. Does
anyone know the correct answer here and what the apparent discrepancy is?
12 answers Last reply
More about bios setup setting

    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
    > Several years ago when I last paid any attention to the issue for W98[SE]
    > the correct setting in mobo BIOS setup for PnP OS was YES. If one reads
    > the
    > description in BIOS setup then it suggests that yes is the correct answer
    > when one is booting a PnP OS.
    >
    > Win98[SE] is a PNP OS as is XP and W2K3. YET I have recently seen
    > repeatedly posts that say set the PnP OS BIOS setting to NO for XP. Does
    > anyone know the correct answer here and what the apparent discrepancy is?

    If you have an ACPI bios and OS it doesn't matter.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321779

    Jim M

    I have PNP on Yes. No probs with it. I think if its off, its
    so you can set different IRQ's for some stubborn devices. Or if you
    get frequent IRQ conflicts.

    That may not work if PNP is enabled.

    "Paul" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
    > I have PNP on Yes. No probs with it. I think if its off, its
    > so you can set different IRQ's for some stubborn devices. Or if you
    > get frequent IRQ conflicts.
    >
    > That may not work if PNP is enabled.

    That's what I thought but I keep seeing apparent experts saying to set it no
    for XP??

    > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
    > > Several years ago when I last paid any attention to the issue for
    W98[SE]
    > > the correct setting in mobo BIOS setup for PnP OS was YES. If one reads
    > > the
    > > description in BIOS setup then it suggests that yes is the correct
    answer
    > > when one is booting a PnP OS.
    > >
    > > Win98[SE] is a PNP OS as is XP and W2K3. YET I have recently seen
    > > repeatedly posts that say set the PnP OS BIOS setting to NO for XP.
    Does
    > > anyone know the correct answer here and what the apparent discrepancy
    is?

    if you set it to off windows will assign IRQ to devices and there will be no
    conflict, but if there is conflict when windows assigns IRQ its best to set
    it to yes in bios, so that bios can assign IRQ adress!
    for example: display cards with video-in function have conflict when
    installing the capture driver which is needed to run video-in as you know!
    when pnp is off in bios and some solve the problem when they turn on pnp in
    bios and some don't!
    is saw that it depends on motherboards! but thats example, and if you have
    conflict on devices you should turn function in bios on on if it is off and
    try installing device if it works live it like that! windows system are
    buged and some times they assign same IRQ, but boards aren't buged some much
    like windows!

    ice wrote:
    > if you set it to off windows will assign IRQ to devices and there
    > will be no conflict, but if there is conflict when windows assigns
    > IRQ its best to set it to yes in bios, so that bios can assign IRQ
    > adress!

    In fact it is the other way around. Set it to "no" and BIOS will set devices
    up. Set it to yes, and BIOS will only set up those critical devices needed
    before Windows takes over and initializes other devices.

    What about Linux? or specific Linux distributions?

    "Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:37:04 -0600, "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > What about Linux? or specific Linux distributions?
    >>>

    >>If you have an ACPI bios and OS it doesn't matter.
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321779

    I don't know how Linux and ACPI play together. The article I linked to was
    from
    MS and as for as their concerned there is no Linux.

    Jim M

    In article <cgsdhv$bo$1@ls219.htnet.hr>, "ice" <icehawk@softhome.net> wrote:
    >if you set it to off windows will assign IRQ to devices and there will be no
    >conflict, but if there is conflict when windows assigns IRQ its best to set
    >it to yes in bios, so that bios can assign IRQ adress!

    You have it backwards, you want it off to force the bios to set IRQ's

    You want it on to allow a PNP aware os like 98/ME to have more control on the
    process.

    XP just ignore the setting period and controlls the IRQ's regardless of how it
    is set.

    JBM wrote:
    > "Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:37:04 -0600, "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>What about Linux? or specific Linux distributions?
    >>

    >>>If you have an ACPI bios and OS it doesn't matter.
    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321779
    >>>

    > I don't know how Linux and ACPI play together. The article I linked to was
    > from
    > MS and as for as their concerned there is no Linux.

    And the article doesn't list that it applies to WinXP Home Ed.
    either. ;-)

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > JBM wrote:
    >> "Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:37:04 -0600, "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com>
    >>>wrote:
    >>>
    >>>What about Linux? or specific Linux distributions?

    >> I don't know how Linux and ACPI play together. The article I linked to
    >> was from
    >> MS and as for as their concerned there is no Linux.
    >>

    > And the article doesn't list that it applies to WinXP Home Ed. either. ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Please followup in newsgroup.
    > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    XP Home does support ACPI

    Jim M

    JBM wrote:

    > "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>JBM wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message

    >>>I don't know how Linux and ACPI play together. The article I linked to
    >>>was from
    >>>MS and as for as their concerned there is no Linux.
    >>>

    >>And the article doesn't list that it applies to WinXP Home Ed. either. ;-)
    >>

    > XP Home does support ACPI

    The KB article-writer doesn't seem to know that.

    P.S. I think you missed the smiley.

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    >>>And the article doesn't list that it applies to WinXP Home Ed. either.
    >>>;-)
    >>>

    >> XP Home does support ACPI
    >>

    > The KB article-writer doesn't seem to know that.
    >
    > P.S. I think you missed the smiley.
    >
    > --
    > Please followup in newsgroup.
    > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    I didn't. Actually I probably saw it, just didn't register in my brain.

    Jim M

Asus BIOS Windows XP Motherboards