P4R800-VM and no SATA

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2004 8:09:49 AM

This newbie bought and assembled the components listed in my sig a
couple of months ago and everything is peachy! Now I realize my
regular old IDE drives are bottlenecks and I shoulda got a MB with a
built-in SATA adapter. Chalk that up to the Old in OldKenGoat! :oops:

I'd like confirmation that the SATA controller card I found here
http://www.pcimicro.com/.sc/ms/dd/1093675004350507/9/nc...
is what I need for the Western Digital Raptor SATA drive (WD360) I
already bought. Pleeeeze spare me any "cart and horse" comments!
:lol:

Also, I plan to copy the image of C: I have on another drive to the
new SATA drive. Are there any special precautions I need to know
about before I attempt that?

Thanks!

==============

More about : p4r800 sata

August 29, 2004 8:52:23 AM

In article <41318f4d$1_4@news.athenanews.com>,
kenswen@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (OldKenGoat) wrote:

> This newbie bought and assembled the components listed in my sig a
> couple of months ago and everything is peachy! Now I realize my
> regular old IDE drives are bottlenecks and I shoulda got a MB with a
> built-in SATA adapter. Chalk that up to the Old in OldKenGoat! :oops:
>

> I'd like confirmation that the SATA controller card I found here

http://www.pcimicro.com/.sc/ms/dd/1093675004350507/9/nc...
> is what I need for the Western Digital Raptor SATA drive (WD360) I
> already bought. Pleeeeze spare me any "cart and horse" comments!
> :lol:
>
> Also, I plan to copy the image of C: I have on another drive to the
> new SATA drive. Are there any special precautions I need to know
> about before I attempt that?
>
> Thanks!

I see the word SYBA on the picture of the box, which takes me here:

http://www.syba.com/us/en/support_download/download/73-...

There are apparently two products 150i and 150R. Since you want
to just use the drives, I presume the 150i is good enough. While
the ad copy on pcimicro claims RAID is an option, maybe you cannot
boot from the RAID array ? The card probably needs a RAID BIOS on
it, and maybe that is the difference between the 150i and 150R ?

As for the silicon, this is the same chip used on the A7N8X/A7N8X-e
deluxe boards, for their SATA functions.

Before copying the C: drive, you need to install the driver for
the controller board. When the driver is in place, copy the C: drive
over. I cannot guarantee that is all there is to it, but at least
the OS will have a driver for the card when it is needed.

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2004 7:15:18 PM

Thanks, Paul, for the confirmation on the Silicon Valley controller! I
don't plan to use the RAID function for now but at least it'll be
available with this card.

Also, thanks for the heads-up on the image installation. ASUS really
should be compensating you for all your excellent advice!