  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
December 28, 2004 1:04:02 AM

Hi,

Spent hours trying to connect my laptop and PC for file and internet
sharing. Not an network expert by any means but have followed the Wireless
Network Wizard to the letter using a flash card.

I have a Packard Bell PC which has a Broadband connection (Host computer)
and a Sony Laptop. I had everything running OK last year but gave up due to
problems, however, wireless networking would now be very useful.

On my PC, if I click on the icon on the status bar I get:-

Network: London1
Speed: 11.0 MBps
Activity - 383 sent 0 Received

On my Laptop, if I click on the icon on the status bar I get:-

Network: London1
Speed: 11.0 MBps
Activity - 383 sent 0 Received

When I click on "View Wireless Network" then I get on both computers

London1 - Connected or Acquiring network address.
Security enabled computer-computer network. The network requires a security
key. You are currently connected to this network. (The key was set-up during
the installation with the flash card)

All this done, I am unable to share or see any files (File Sharing set-up
and used before using a cable before today)
Get the error:- An error occurred while reconnecting to S: \\Sony. Microsoft
Windows Network. The network path was not found. This connection has not
been restored.

Also unable to connect to the internet on the laptop via the PC's Broadband
connection - PC Internet connection set up for sharing.

Am unable to ping either PC.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks
Simon

More about : wireless networking problem

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 1:04:03 AM

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

"Simon" <Simon@Simon.com> wrote in message
news:o zw25$F7EHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Spent hours trying to connect my laptop and PC for file and internet
> sharing. Not an network expert by any means but have followed the Wireless
> Network Wizard to the letter using a flash card.
>
> I have a Packard Bell PC which has a Broadband connection (Host computer)
> and a Sony Laptop. I had everything running OK last year but gave up due
> to problems, however, wireless networking would now be very useful.
>
> On my PC, if I click on the icon on the status bar I get:-

> Network: London1
> Speed: 11.0 MBps
> Activity - 383 sent 0 Received
>
> On my Laptop, if I click on the icon on the status bar I get:-

> Network: London1
> Speed: 11.0 MBps
> Activity - 383 sent 0 Received
>
> When I click on "View Wireless Network" then I get on both computers
>
> London1 - Connected or Acquiring network address.
> Security enabled computer-computer network. The network requires a
> security key. You are currently connected to this network. (The key was
> set-up during the installation with the flash card)
>
> All this done, I am unable to share or see any files (File Sharing set-up
> and used before using a cable before today)
> Get the error:- An error occurred while reconnecting to S: \\Sony.
> Microsoft Windows Network. The network path was not found. This connection
> has not been restored.
>
> Also unable to connect to the internet on the laptop via the PC's
> Broadband connection - PC Internet connection set up for sharing.
>
> Am unable to ping either PC.
>
> Can anyone help please?
>
> Many thanks
> Simon

December 28, 2004 1:18:35 AM

Hi Carey,

Thanks for the quick reply but I am unable to see the web page - is your
server down?

Many thanks
Simon

"Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>
> Carey
>
> "Simon" <Simon@Simon.com> wrote in message
> news:o zw25$F7EHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Spent hours trying to connect my laptop and PC for file and internet
>> sharing. Not an network expert by any means but have followed the
>> Wireless Network Wizard to the letter using a flash card.
>>
>> I have a Packard Bell PC which has a Broadband connection (Host computer)
>> and a Sony Laptop. I had everything running OK last year but gave up due
>> to problems, however, wireless networking would now be very useful.
>>
>> On my PC, if I click on the icon on the status bar I get:-

>> Network: London1
>> Speed: 11.0 MBps
>> Activity - 383 sent 0 Received
>>
>> On my Laptop, if I click on the icon on the status bar I get:-

>> Network: London1
>> Speed: 11.0 MBps
>> Activity - 383 sent 0 Received
>>
>> When I click on "View Wireless Network" then I get on both computers
>>
>> London1 - Connected or Acquiring network address.
>> Security enabled computer-computer network. The network requires a
>> security key. You are currently connected to this network. (The key was
>> set-up during the installation with the flash card)
>>
>> All this done, I am unable to share or see any files (File Sharing set-up
>> and used before using a cable before today)
>> Get the error:- An error occurred while reconnecting to S: \\Sony.
>> Microsoft Windows Network. The network path was not found. This
>> connection has not been restored.
>>
>> Also unable to connect to the internet on the laptop via the PC's
>> Broadband connection - PC Internet connection set up for sharing.
>>
>> Am unable to ping either PC.
>>
>> Can anyone help please?
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Simon

Related resources
December 28, 2004 2:55:04 AM

> Hi Carey,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply but I am unable to see the web page - is your
> server down?
>
> Many thanks
> Simon
>

> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "Simon" <Simon@Simon.com> wrote in message
>> news:o zw25$F7EHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Spent hours trying to connect my laptop and PC for file and internet
>>> sharing. Not an network expert by any means but have followed the
>>> Wireless Network Wizard to the letter using a flash card.
>>>
>>> I have a Packard Bell PC which has a Broadband connection (Host
>>> computer) and a Sony Laptop. I had everything running OK last year but
>>> gave up due to problems, however, wireless networking would now be very
>>> useful.
>>>
>>> On my PC, if I click on the icon on the status bar I get:-

>>> Network: London1
>>> Speed: 11.0 MBps
>>> Activity - 383 sent 0 Received
>>>
>>> On my Laptop, if I click on the icon on the status bar I get:-

>>> Network: London1
>>> Speed: 11.0 MBps
>>> Activity - 383 sent 0 Received
>>>
>>> When I click on "View Wireless Network" then I get on both computers
>>>
>>> London1 - Connected or Acquiring network address.
>>> Security enabled computer-computer network. The network requires a
>>> security key. You are currently connected to this network. (The key was
>>> set-up during the installation with the flash card)
>>>
>>> All this done, I am unable to share or see any files (File Sharing
>>> set-up and used before using a cable before today)
>>> Get the error:- An error occurred while reconnecting to S: \\Sony.
>>> Microsoft Windows Network. The network path was not found. This
>>> connection has not been restored.
>>>
>>> Also unable to connect to the internet on the laptop via the PC's
>>> Broadband connection - PC Internet connection set up for sharing.
>>>
>>> Am unable to ping either PC.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help please?
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>> Simon

Hi Simon,

First disable WEP and turn off any firewalls. Try again.

If still no luck, try using static IP's in 192.168.0.XXX range.

Also disable ICS and see if you can browse folders on either PC (you will
have to allocate static IPs if ICS is disabled).

If it works, then reinstate firewalls, if that works reinstate WEP.

I would leave the static IPs and install a proxy server such as 602LAN Suite
or CCProxy (both free)
December 28, 2004 3:34:29 AM

Hi Tony,

Many thanks - stage one is completed and works - I can now browse folders
both ways.
However, I am still unable to connect to the internet on the laptop, using
the PC's broadband connection.

Any suggestions please?

Many thanks again for your help,

Simon

"Tony" <ttiger@lineone.net> wrote in message
> "Simon" <Simon@Simon.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Carey,
>>
>> Thanks for the quick reply but I am unable to see the web page - is your
>> server down?
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Simon
>>

>> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>>> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>>>
>>> Carey
>>>
>>> "Simon" <Simon@Simon.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o zw25$F7EHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> Hi Simon,
>
> First disable WEP and turn off any firewalls. Try again.
>
> If still no luck, try using static IP's in 192.168.0.XXX range.
>
> Also disable ICS and see if you can browse folders on either PC (you will
> have to allocate static IPs if ICS is disabled).
>
> If it works, then reinstate firewalls, if that works reinstate WEP.
>
> I would leave the static IPs and install a proxy server such as 602LAN
> Suite or CCProxy (both free)

December 28, 2004 4:44:13 AM

It depends if you want to try and use ICS for internet sharing. Personally
I never use it as it has been the cause of many a headache before. Suggest
you download CCproxy from http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/ . Quite simple
to install. Once installed on the host machine, open browser on laptop, go
to tools, internet options, connection. If you have any dialup connections,
go to the default one, click on settings, put a tick in use proxy server for
this connection, then click advanced. Proxy address will be the IP of host
machine. all the ports are 808 except socks which is 1080.
If there are no dial ups then click on LAN settings and set up as above.

Should allow you to surf the internet.

On the PC with the broad band connection,

> Hi Tony,
>
> Many thanks - stage one is completed and works - I can now browse folders
> both ways.
> However, I am still unable to connect to the internet on the laptop, using
> the PC's broadband connection.
>
> Any suggestions please?
>
> Many thanks again for your help,
>
> Simon
>

> "Tony" <ttiger@lineone.net> wrote in message
>> "Simon" <Simon@Simon.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Carey,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the quick reply but I am unable to see the web page - is your
>>> server down?
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>> Simon
>>>

>>> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message

>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> First disable WEP and turn off any firewalls. Try again.
>>
>> If still no luck, try using static IP's in 192.168.0.XXX range.
>>
>> Also disable ICS and see if you can browse folders on either PC (you will
>> have to allocate static IPs if ICS is disabled).
>>
>> If it works, then reinstate firewalls, if that works reinstate WEP.
>>
>> I would leave the static IPs and install a proxy server such as 602LAN
>> Suite or CCProxy (both free)

December 29, 2004 1:35:41 AM

Hi Tony,

This works great now - however a little slower than originally - and I
sometimes looses the connection.
Saying that it's a great step forward compared to yesterday. Any suggestions
to speed up the internet connection and stop it from dropping the wireless
connection?

Many thanks for all your help so far,

> It depends if you want to try and use ICS for internet sharing.
> Personally I never use it as it has been the cause of many a headache
> before. Suggest you download CCproxy from
> http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/ . Quite simple to install. Once
> installed on the host machine, open browser on laptop, go to tools,
> internet options, connection. If you have any dialup connections, go to
> the default one, click on settings, put a tick in use proxy server for
> this connection, then click advanced. Proxy address will be the IP of
> host machine. all the ports are 808 except socks which is 1080.
> If there are no dial ups then click on LAN settings and set up as above.
>
> Should allow you to surf the internet.
>

> On the PC with the broad band connection,
>
> "Simon" <Simon@Simon.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Tony,
>>
>> Many thanks - stage one is completed and works - I can now browse folders
>> both ways.
>> However, I am still unable to connect to the internet on the laptop,
>> using the PC's broadband connection.
>>
>> Any suggestions please?
>>
>> Many thanks again for your help,
>>
>> Simon
>>

>> "Tony" <ttiger@lineone.net> wrote in message
>>> "Simon" <Simon@Simon.com> wrote in message

>>> Hi Simon,
>>>
>>> First disable WEP and turn off any firewalls. Try again.
>>>
>>> If still no luck, try using static IP's in 192.168.0.XXX range.
>>>
>>> Also disable ICS and see if you can browse folders on either PC (you
>>> will have to allocate static IPs if ICS is disabled).
>>>
>>> If it works, then reinstate firewalls, if that works reinstate WEP.
>>>
>>> I would leave the static IPs and install a proxy server such as 602LAN
>>> Suite or CCProxy (both free)

December 29, 2004 2:56:06 AM

> Hi Tony,
>
> This works great now - however a little slower than originally - and I
> sometimes looses the connection.
> Saying that it's a great step forward compared to yesterday. Any
> suggestions to speed up the internet connection and stop it from dropping
> the wireless connection?
>
> Many thanks for all your help so far,
>
> Simon

Hi Simon,

What connection are you losing? Is it the connection to the internet or a
wi-fi connection? If wi-fi, does it happen when the PC and Laptop are close
together?

How do you connect to the internet? Do you have a USB modem?

What makes of wireless card/adaptor are you using? Do you know if you are
letting windows manage the connection or is it the software provided by the
makers of the wi-fi adaptors? Are they USB or internal?

First thing I would suggest is to go to the manufacturers website and
download their most up to date drivers. I've had connectivity problems with
Belkin and D-Link but latest drivers cured the problems. The Belkin USB
adaptors ended up in the bin eventually as I was forever having to set them
up again when used in ad hoc mode and the signal from them wasn't very good
when used with a D-Link Wireless Access Point.
!