Step-By-Step Partition Guide?

kivarocket

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hi all,

I'm going to be installing Windows 7 and Ubuntu on my new gaming computer and I'm searching for a step-by-step guide on how to create partitions in the setup phase of installation. I'll be using 2 hard drives, and it's been recommended that I install Win7 first before Ubuntu.

When Windows asks where I'd like to install (onto a clean unpartitioned HDD), it shows all the space as unallocated. If I click on that and try to install there, Win7 creates a 100 MB partition that I don't want. I'd like to have 1 partition for Win7, one for Ubuntu...and I'm still trying to figure out how best to use the remaining space on that drive and the second HDD.

Can anyone help me with the installation process?
Are there any suggestions for how I could use that space?

Thank you so much!

Solution
"Win7 creates a 100 MB partition that I don't want." You don't have a say in it, it's a reserved system partition that Windows 7 will make.
If you use the custom install option you can specify how big a partition you want for the W7 instalation and either create a second one or leave the rest as unallocated space to install Ubuntu on.
I would disconnect the second drive when installing W7, otherwise you may finish up with some W7 system files on one drive and the os on the other. This will be a pain in the a*** if you need to remove the drive at a later time, when you think that it's not a system drive.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
"Win7 creates a 100 MB partition that I don't want." You don't have a say in it, it's a reserved system partition that Windows 7 will make.
If you use the custom install option you can specify how big a partition you want for the W7 instalation and either create a second one or leave the rest as unallocated space to install Ubuntu on.
I would disconnect the second drive when installing W7, otherwise you may finish up with some W7 system files on one drive and the os on the other. This will be a pain in the a*** if you need to remove the drive at a later time, when you think that it's not a system drive.

Solution