Promise FastTrack 20378 controller

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 29, 2004 1:58:20 PM

I have a P4C800E Dlx which states " No Drive Attached To Fasttrack
Controller- Bios Not Installed" during the boot process.

Just curious what is its purpose of the Promise FastTrack 20378
controller?

Rubix
August 29, 2004 1:58:21 PM

In article <dbv4j0h5cou0s6jvk78thc0bqpsvjvf7fo@4ax.com>, Rubix
<whims789@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a P4C800E Dlx which states " No Drive Attached To Fasttrack
> Controller- Bios Not Installed" during the boot process.
>
> Just curious what is its purpose of the Promise FastTrack 20378
> controller?
>
> Rubix

It is an onboard disk controller. It gives two SATA connectors
and one IDE connector for two PATA disk drives. There is a
driver for running it in RAID mode and a driver for operating
it in ATA mode. The 20378 does not support ATAPI devices, so
do not try to connect CD/DVD devices. (That warning note is
in the manual. I don't know if a Plextor writer with native SATA
works with the 20378 or not.)

The motherboard BIOS contains a piece of code called the RAID
BIOS, and that code controls the 20378 during boot. It checks
the two SATA ports and the IDE cable, for disk drives. If
no disk drives are detected on the 20378, the RAID BIOS is
unloaded, and the "No Drives Attached..." message appears
on the screen.

If you don't have any disks connected to the 20378, you can
disable the 20378 in the BIOS setup screen. Disabling the 20378
will allow the computer to boot a bit faster.

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2004 4:25:07 PM

"Rubix" <whims789@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D bv4j0h5cou0s6jvk78thc0bqpsvjvf7fo@4ax.com...
> I have a P4C800E Dlx which states " No Drive Attached To Fasttrack
> Controller- Bios Not Installed" during the boot process.
>
> Just curious what is its purpose of the Promise FastTrack 20378
> controller?
>
> Rubix

On my PC-DL mobo, this indicates that I can attach 2 SATA drives, and RAID
them - and this is what I have done.

If no drives are attached, I disable it in the BIOS which saves a few
seconds of boot time.
--
Doug Ramage

[Watch Spam Trap]
August 29, 2004 9:18:12 PM

I am a newbie at the new raid motherboards. I have one SATA Maxtor HD
installed, I also have a Plextor Writer plugged into secondary ide
master. I assume the HD is correct to appear as the third ide master.
I should also disable the controller at this time.

Thanks,
Rubix

!