Promise FastTrack 20378 controller

I have a P4C800E Dlx which states " No Drive Attached To Fasttrack
Controller- Bios Not Installed" during the boot process.

Just curious what is its purpose of the Promise FastTrack 20378
controller?

Rubix
3 answers Last reply
More about promise fasttrack 20378 controller

    In article <dbv4j0h5cou0s6jvk78thc0bqpsvjvf7fo@4ax.com>, Rubix
    <whims789@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I have a P4C800E Dlx which states " No Drive Attached To Fasttrack
    > Controller- Bios Not Installed" during the boot process.
    >
    > Just curious what is its purpose of the Promise FastTrack 20378
    > controller?
    >
    > Rubix

    It is an onboard disk controller. It gives two SATA connectors
    and one IDE connector for two PATA disk drives. There is a
    driver for running it in RAID mode and a driver for operating
    it in ATA mode. The 20378 does not support ATAPI devices, so
    do not try to connect CD/DVD devices. (That warning note is
    in the manual. I don't know if a Plextor writer with native SATA
    works with the 20378 or not.)

    The motherboard BIOS contains a piece of code called the RAID
    BIOS, and that code controls the 20378 during boot. It checks
    the two SATA ports and the IDE cable, for disk drives. If
    no disk drives are detected on the 20378, the RAID BIOS is
    unloaded, and the "No Drives Attached..." message appears
    on the screen.

    If you don't have any disks connected to the 20378, you can
    disable the 20378 in the BIOS setup screen. Disabling the 20378
    will allow the computer to boot a bit faster.

    HTH,
    Paul

    "Rubix" <whims789@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have a P4C800E Dlx which states " No Drive Attached To Fasttrack
    > Controller- Bios Not Installed" during the boot process.
    >
    > Just curious what is its purpose of the Promise FastTrack 20378
    > controller?
    >
    > Rubix

    On my PC-DL mobo, this indicates that I can attach 2 SATA drives, and RAID
    them - and this is what I have done.

    If no drives are attached, I disable it in the BIOS which saves a few
    seconds of boot time.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [Watch Spam Trap]

    I am a newbie at the new raid motherboards. I have one SATA Maxtor HD
    installed, I also have a Plextor Writer plugged into secondary ide
    master. I assume the HD is correct to appear as the third ide master.
    I should also disable the controller at this time.

    Thanks,
    Rubix

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:47:47 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <dbv4j0h5cou0s6jvk78thc0bqpsvjvf7fo@4ax.com>, Rubix
    ><whims789@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a P4C800E Dlx which states " No Drive Attached To Fasttrack
    >> Controller- Bios Not Installed" during the boot process.
    >>
    >> Just curious what is its purpose of the Promise FastTrack 20378
    >> controller?
    >>
    >> Rubix
    >
    >It is an onboard disk controller. It gives two SATA connectors
    >and one IDE connector for two PATA disk drives. There is a
    >driver for running it in RAID mode and a driver for operating
    >it in ATA mode. The 20378 does not support ATAPI devices, so
    >do not try to connect CD/DVD devices. (That warning note is
    >in the manual. I don't know if a Plextor writer with native SATA
    >works with the 20378 or not.)
    >
    >The motherboard BIOS contains a piece of code called the RAID
    >BIOS, and that code controls the 20378 during boot. It checks
    >the two SATA ports and the IDE cable, for disk drives. If
    >no disk drives are detected on the 20378, the RAID BIOS is
    >unloaded, and the "No Drives Attached..." message appears
    >on the screen.
    >
    >If you don't have any disks connected to the 20378, you can
    >disable the 20378 in the BIOS setup screen. Disabling the 20378
    >will allow the computer to boot a bit faster.
    >
    >HTH,
    > Paul

Asus BIOS Controller Boot Motherboards