Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Mt hard disc light stays on all the time (unless computer
is switched of or during the early boot phase)

Is this doing any harm and how can I have it like it used
to be, that is, just blinking occassionally?

"pete" <pete.s.bradbury@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Mt hard disc light stays on all the time (unless computer
>is switched of or during the early boot phase)
>
>Is this doing any harm and how can I have it like it used
>to be, that is, just blinking occassionally?

That light normally indicates that the computer is actually reading
from or writing to the hard disc.

If this is a change in the behavior of your computer then something
has been added to it that is causing a lot of additional reading and
writing of the hard disc.

Prime suspects (in the absence of any new software installs) would be
virus or spyware (or both).

Make sure your antivirus software is fully up to date, with the virus
definitions not more than a week old, and do a complete scan of your
hard disc. Get a second opinion by either doing a free online scan
at http://housecall.trendmicro.com or by downloading and running
Stinger (free) from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger

Checking for spyware is at least a 3 step process:
1. Download and run CWShredder (free) from
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
2. Download, install, update, and run AdAware (free) from
http://www.lavasoft.de
3. Download, install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy (free)
from http://www.safer-networking.org/

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--