P4P800 - How to dual channel for RAM?

My P4 2.6Ghz has one 256MB 3200 DDR installed right now. When I'm
running 1 Windows Media player playing a MP3 song, 1 MS Excel 2003, 10
IE Windows, 1 Forte Agent, 1 Adobe Photoshop and 1 Adobe Illustrator,
the Page File Usage goes up to 570MB at Windows Task
Manager>Performance. I haven't start the ATI Media Center to watch TV
yet. I often run this many applications at the same time. It gets slow
sometimes so I think 256MB isn't enough for me. The motherboard is
P4P800 Deluxe so I want to try the board's dual mode feature and the
CPU's hyper threading feature too. Should I get a pair of 256MB or a
pair of 512MB?

Should I go with name brands or generic ones for RAM? I want to use
generic ones if it's possible since it costs about 50% less. Two
Kingston 512MB, KVR400X64C3AK2/512, at kingston.com -
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=14687&distributor=0&submit1=Search
, costs $206. A pair of generic ones costs about $100 at
Pricewatch.com.
2 answers Last reply
More about p4p800 dual channel

    Elly wrote:

    > My P4 2.6Ghz has one 256MB 3200 DDR installed right now. When I'm
    > running 1 Windows Media player playing a MP3 song, 1 MS Excel 2003, 10
    > IE Windows, 1 Forte Agent, 1 Adobe Photoshop and 1 Adobe Illustrator,
    > the Page File Usage goes up to 570MB at Windows Task
    > Manager>Performance. I haven't start the ATI Media Center to watch TV
    > yet. I often run this many applications at the same time. It gets slow
    > sometimes so I think 256MB isn't enough for me. The motherboard is
    > P4P800 Deluxe so I want to try the board's dual mode feature and the
    > CPU's hyper threading feature too. Should I get a pair of 256MB or a
    > pair of 512MB?

    512 MB is fine for WinXP, 1024 MB is comfortable (and nearly necessary
    for Photoshop).

    > Should I go with name brands or generic ones for RAM? I want to use
    > generic ones if it's possible since it costs about 50% less. Two
    > Kingston 512MB, KVR400X64C3AK2/512, at kingston.com -
    > http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=14687&distributor=0&submit1=Search
    > , costs $206. A pair of generic ones costs about $100 at
    > Pricewatch.com.

    Name brand is better than generic - there are good low cost brands as
    Infineon (original modules, not chips only on 3rd party modules).
    You may consult the Asus QVL (on the web site) or www.crucial.com >
    Memory Upgrades (they sell 1st quality Micron RAM at reasonable prices).

    Roy

    Get quality ram, Corsair, Crucial, Kingston......It does cost more but
    consider it a long term investment. Also 1 gig of ram is reasonable
    considering the amount of app. you run at the same time.

    At work I use a p4 2.4 system with 1 gig of pc 3200 (board does not
    support dual channel). While using both Illustrator & photoshop the
    system visually slows down.

    Locust.

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:55:23 -0400, Elly <Elly@helpdesk.com> wrote:

    >My P4 2.6Ghz has one 256MB 3200 DDR installed right now. When I'm
    >running 1 Windows Media player playing a MP3 song, 1 MS Excel 2003, 10
    >IE Windows, 1 Forte Agent, 1 Adobe Photoshop and 1 Adobe Illustrator,
    >the Page File Usage goes up to 570MB at Windows Task
    >Manager>Performance. I haven't start the ATI Media Center to watch TV
    >yet. I often run this many applications at the same time. It gets slow
    >sometimes so I think 256MB isn't enough for me. The motherboard is
    >P4P800 Deluxe so I want to try the board's dual mode feature and the
    >CPU's hyper threading feature too. Should I get a pair of 256MB or a
    >pair of 512MB?
    >
    >Should I go with name brands or generic ones for RAM? I want to use
    >generic ones if it's possible since it costs about 50% less. Two
    >Kingston 512MB, KVR400X64C3AK2/512, at kingston.com -
    >http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=14687&distributor=0&submit1=Search
    >, costs $206. A pair of generic ones costs about $100 at
    >Pricewatch.com.

Asus Dual Channel Motherboards Product