jeff

I cannot read or write from my floppy (A:) or the CDRW
(D:) drive. They both appear in Explorer / Disk Manager as
working fine and are both enabled. Booting in "safe mode"
they both work well. I have performed virus scans after
both normal and safe mode boots. I am suspicious of the XP
updates causing the problem but I was not able to time
corralate the access problem to the time of updates
performed. After normal boot then accessing the floppy
drive A" I receive the startup error message "A:\ is not
accessible, Incorrect Function". Same is true for the CDRW
(D:) drive. I have read there is suppose to be patch
release for this problem but I have been unable to find it.
Can anyone help ?

Jeff

Floppy Disk is Not Accessible, Not Formatted, or Not Recognized by Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I cannot read or write from my floppy (A:) or the CDRW
> (D:) drive. They both appear in Explorer / Disk Manager as
> working fine and are both enabled. Booting in "safe mode"
> they both work well. I have performed virus scans after
> both normal and safe mode boots. I am suspicious of the XP
> updates causing the problem but I was not able to time
> corralate the access problem to the time of updates
> performed. After normal boot then accessing the floppy
> drive A" I receive the startup error message "A:\ is not
> accessible, Incorrect Function". Same is true for the CDRW
> (D:) drive. I have read there is suppose to be patch
> release for this problem but I have been unable to find it.
> Can anyone help ?
>
> Jeff

jeff

Thanks Mary
But I do not believe that is the problem, first booting
in safe mode the drives work fine with the floppy disk,
also on another XP computer the floppy disk works fine.
I have also removed the floppy drive from the computer,
reboot, turn computer back off, install the floppy drive
in order for it to recognize new hardware. This did not
work. I have also tried to disable, uninstall the driver,
with the floppy not installed and installed. On every
reboot the drive is shown in MyComputer and Explorer with
the driver installed and enabled wheather the drive is in
ther computer or not. I have also run Startup Cop
disabling everything I thought might be conflict nothing
effects the error (A:\ is not accessible, Incorrect
function). I need help !!!
Thanks
Jeff
us;140060

>--
>Mary Sauer MS MVP
>http://office.microsoft.com/
>http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
>"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I cannot read or write from my floppy (A:) or the CDRW
>> (D:) drive. They both appear in Explorer / Disk
Manager as
>> working fine and are both enabled. Booting in "safe
mode"
>> they both work well. I have performed virus scans after
>> both normal and safe mode boots. I am suspicious of
the XP
>> updates causing the problem but I was not able to time
>> corralate the access problem to the time of updates
>> performed. After normal boot then accessing the floppy
>> drive A" I receive the startup error message "A:\ is
not
>> accessible, Incorrect Function". Same is true for the
CDRW
>> (D:) drive. I have read there is suppose to be patch
>> release for this problem but I have been unable to
find it.
>> Can anyone help ?
>>
>> Jeff
>

>.

Ed

I'm with you, Jeff. Spent the better part of the day yesterday trying
to fix the same problem that you and lots of others seem to be having
with our CD and floppy drives, including installing a new CD burner.
Each of the solutions documented so far have had no effect on my
problem.

I did notice that I could read data CDs only if they're in the drive
when the computer boots up -- it won't auto start, but at least I can
install software and not get the dreaded "not accesible, incorrect
function" message when clicking on the drive. Music CDs can be read
without any problems. I still can't burn a CD anymore.

Microsoft has got to do something to fix this.

-Ed

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<1bc5401c45099$503ab6a0$a001280a@phx.gbl>...
> Thanks Mary
> But I do not believe that is the problem, first booting
> in safe mode the drives work fine with the floppy disk,
> also on another XP computer the floppy disk works fine.
> I have also removed the floppy drive from the computer,
> reboot, turn computer back off, install the floppy drive
> in order for it to recognize new hardware. This did not
> work. I have also tried to disable, uninstall the driver,
> with the floppy not installed and installed. On every
> reboot the drive is shown in MyComputer and Explorer with
> the driver installed and enabled wheather the drive is in
> ther computer or not. I have also run Startup Cop
> disabling everything I thought might be conflict nothing
> effects the error (A:\ is not accessible, Incorrect
> function). I need help !!!
> Thanks
> Jeff

Ed

Here's an update for others with the same problem -- since there are
at least 30 other threads complaining about it. I took the advice of
another poster and reconfigured my Norton Antivirus to NOT start up in
Auto Protect mode. It did the trick. I now have access to both CD
drives and the floppy. Of course, if you do this, don't forget to
enable Auto Protect once you're up and running -- a small price to pay
for access to my drives. Going to write Symantec about this...

-Ed

nosoup4yew@yahoo.com (Ed) wrote in message news:<3cef142.0406180718.2a991887@posting.google.com>...
> I'm with you, Jeff. Spent the better part of the day yesterday trying
> to fix the same problem that you and lots of others seem to be having
> with our CD and floppy drives, including installing a new CD burner.
> Each of the solutions documented so far have had no effect on my
> problem.
>
> I did notice that I could read data CDs only if they're in the drive
> when the computer boots up -- it won't auto start, but at least I can
> install software and not get the dreaded "not accesible, incorrect
> function" message when clicking on the drive. Music CDs can be read
> without any problems. I still can't burn a CD anymore.
>
> Microsoft has got to do something to fix this.
>
> -Ed
>

> "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<1bc5401c45099$503ab6a0$a001280a@phx.gbl>...
> > Thanks Mary
> > But I do not believe that is the problem, first booting
> > in safe mode the drives work fine with the floppy disk,
> > also on another XP computer the floppy disk works fine.
> > I have also removed the floppy drive from the computer,
> > reboot, turn computer back off, install the floppy drive
> > in order for it to recognize new hardware. This did not
> > work. I have also tried to disable, uninstall the driver,
> > with the floppy not installed and installed. On every
> > reboot the drive is shown in MyComputer and Explorer with
> > the driver installed and enabled wheather the drive is in
> > ther computer or not. I have also run Startup Cop
> > disabling everything I thought might be conflict nothing
> > effects the error (A:\ is not accessible, Incorrect
> > function). I need help !!!
> > Thanks
> > Jeff

I'm not having problems with my CD only floppy driver, windows says it's ok
but I have a question mark over the short cut to a:. I am not a computer
buff so please make it easy for me. I've tried re-installing the driver but
it won't let me and says the current driver is the best.