Floppy & CD access problems

I cannot read or write from my floppy (A:) or the CDRW
(D:) drive. They both appear in Explorer / Disk Manager as
working fine and are both enabled. Booting in "safe mode"
they both work well. I have performed virus scans after
both normal and safe mode boots. I am suspicious of the XP
updates causing the problem but I was not able to time
corralate the access problem to the time of updates
performed. After normal boot then accessing the floppy
drive A" I receive the startup error message "A:\ is not
accessible, Incorrect Function". Same is true for the CDRW
(D:) drive. I have read there is suppose to be patch
release for this problem but I have been unable to find it.
Can anyone help ?

Jeff
5 answers Last reply
More about floppy access problems

    Floppy Disk is Not Accessible, Not Formatted, or Not Recognized by Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060

    --
    Mary Sauer MS MVP
    http://office.microsoft.com/
    "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I cannot read or write from my floppy (A:) or the CDRW
    > (D:) drive. They both appear in Explorer / Disk Manager as
    > working fine and are both enabled. Booting in "safe mode"
    > they both work well. I have performed virus scans after
    > both normal and safe mode boots. I am suspicious of the XP
    > updates causing the problem but I was not able to time
    > corralate the access problem to the time of updates
    > performed. After normal boot then accessing the floppy
    > drive A" I receive the startup error message "A:\ is not
    > accessible, Incorrect Function". Same is true for the CDRW
    > (D:) drive. I have read there is suppose to be patch
    > release for this problem but I have been unable to find it.
    > Can anyone help ?
    >
    > Jeff

    Thanks Mary
    But I do not believe that is the problem, first booting
    in safe mode the drives work fine with the floppy disk,
    also on another XP computer the floppy disk works fine.
    I have also removed the floppy drive from the computer,
    reboot, turn computer back off, install the floppy drive
    in order for it to recognize new hardware. This did not
    work. I have also tried to disable, uninstall the driver,
    with the floppy not installed and installed. On every
    reboot the drive is shown in MyComputer and Explorer with
    the driver installed and enabled wheather the drive is in
    ther computer or not. I have also run Startup Cop
    disabling everything I thought might be conflict nothing
    effects the error (A:\ is not accessible, Incorrect
    function). I need help !!!
    Thanks
    Jeff
    us;140060

    >--
    >Mary Sauer MS MVP
    >http://office.microsoft.com/
    >http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
    >"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> I cannot read or write from my floppy (A:) or the CDRW
    >> (D:) drive. They both appear in Explorer / Disk
    Manager as
    >> working fine and are both enabled. Booting in "safe
    mode"
    >> they both work well. I have performed virus scans after
    >> both normal and safe mode boots. I am suspicious of
    the XP
    >> updates causing the problem but I was not able to time
    >> corralate the access problem to the time of updates
    >> performed. After normal boot then accessing the floppy
    >> drive A" I receive the startup error message "A:\ is
    not
    >> accessible, Incorrect Function". Same is true for the
    CDRW
    >> (D:) drive. I have read there is suppose to be patch
    >> release for this problem but I have been unable to
    find it.
    >> Can anyone help ?
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >

    >.

    I'm with you, Jeff. Spent the better part of the day yesterday trying
    to fix the same problem that you and lots of others seem to be having
    with our CD and floppy drives, including installing a new CD burner.
    Each of the solutions documented so far have had no effect on my
    problem.

    I did notice that I could read data CDs only if they're in the drive
    when the computer boots up -- it won't auto start, but at least I can
    install software and not get the dreaded "not accesible, incorrect
    function" message when clicking on the drive. Music CDs can be read
    without any problems. I still can't burn a CD anymore.

    Microsoft has got to do something to fix this.

    -Ed

    "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<1bc5401c45099$503ab6a0$a001280a@phx.gbl>...
    > Thanks Mary
    > But I do not believe that is the problem, first booting
    > in safe mode the drives work fine with the floppy disk,
    > also on another XP computer the floppy disk works fine.
    > I have also removed the floppy drive from the computer,
    > reboot, turn computer back off, install the floppy drive
    > in order for it to recognize new hardware. This did not
    > work. I have also tried to disable, uninstall the driver,
    > with the floppy not installed and installed. On every
    > reboot the drive is shown in MyComputer and Explorer with
    > the driver installed and enabled wheather the drive is in
    > ther computer or not. I have also run Startup Cop
    > disabling everything I thought might be conflict nothing
    > effects the error (A:\ is not accessible, Incorrect
    > function). I need help !!!
    > Thanks
    > Jeff

    Here's an update for others with the same problem -- since there are
    at least 30 other threads complaining about it. I took the advice of
    another poster and reconfigured my Norton Antivirus to NOT start up in
    Auto Protect mode. It did the trick. I now have access to both CD
    drives and the floppy. Of course, if you do this, don't forget to
    enable Auto Protect once you're up and running -- a small price to pay
    for access to my drives. Going to write Symantec about this...

    -Ed

    nosoup4yew@yahoo.com (Ed) wrote in message news:<3cef142.0406180718.2a991887@posting.google.com>...
    > I'm with you, Jeff. Spent the better part of the day yesterday trying
    > to fix the same problem that you and lots of others seem to be having
    > with our CD and floppy drives, including installing a new CD burner.
    > Each of the solutions documented so far have had no effect on my
    > problem.
    >
    > I did notice that I could read data CDs only if they're in the drive
    > when the computer boots up -- it won't auto start, but at least I can
    > install software and not get the dreaded "not accesible, incorrect
    > function" message when clicking on the drive. Music CDs can be read
    > without any problems. I still can't burn a CD anymore.
    >
    > Microsoft has got to do something to fix this.
    >
    > -Ed
    >

    > "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<1bc5401c45099$503ab6a0$a001280a@phx.gbl>...
    > > Thanks Mary
    > > But I do not believe that is the problem, first booting
    > > in safe mode the drives work fine with the floppy disk,
    > > also on another XP computer the floppy disk works fine.
    > > I have also removed the floppy drive from the computer,
    > > reboot, turn computer back off, install the floppy drive
    > > in order for it to recognize new hardware. This did not
    > > work. I have also tried to disable, uninstall the driver,
    > > with the floppy not installed and installed. On every
    > > reboot the drive is shown in MyComputer and Explorer with
    > > the driver installed and enabled wheather the drive is in
    > > ther computer or not. I have also run Startup Cop
    > > disabling everything I thought might be conflict nothing
    > > effects the error (A:\ is not accessible, Incorrect
    > > function). I need help !!!
    > > Thanks
    > > Jeff

    I'm not having problems with my CD only floppy driver, windows says it's ok
    but I have a question mark over the short cut to a:. I am not a computer
    buff so please make it easy for me. I've tried re-installing the driver but
    it won't let me and says the current driver is the best.

Floppy Disk Windows XP Product