A7N8X deluxe - Internal Audio Connectors

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

The internal audio connectors listed on page 30 of the A7N8X deluxe
manual are CD1, AUX1 and MODEM1.

Where's the MODEM1 volume control on the nForce Audio properties?

http://img6.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img6&image=nforce.jpg

Am I supposed to connect my new AOpen FM56-PX Controllerless PCI Modem
to AUX1 or CD1 because there's no volume control for the MODEM1 input?

And what's with the volume control for "Video"? What does that
connect to? (That's not in the A7N8X deluxe manual either.)

And how long are the ASUS forums at
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/english/techref/forum/index.aspx going
to say "Due to system maintenance, ASUS NetQ Forum will be closed
temporarily from today onwards"?

And the broken graphic links on AOpen's instructions page aren't very
helpful either:

http://club.aopen.com.tw/faq/FAQ_showAnswer.asp?RecNo=383&Language=English
12 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe internal audio connectors
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

    Why do you need modem audio?
    gonna plug your headset into the modem???
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

    Unless your modem is a speakerphone one and used for fax/data/internet calls
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

    There is no"video" connector
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

    In article <17776f61.0408290855.1dc45aa2@posting.google.com>,
    chuck.kahn@sympatico.ca (Chuck Kahn) wrote:

    > The internal audio connectors listed on page 30 of the A7N8X deluxe
    > manual are CD1, AUX1 and MODEM1.
    >
    > Where's the MODEM1 volume control on the nForce Audio properties?
    >
    > http://img6.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img6&image=nforce.jpg
    >
    > Am I supposed to connect my new AOpen FM56-PX Controllerless PCI Modem
    > to AUX1 or CD1 because there's no volume control for the MODEM1 input?
    >
    > And what's with the volume control for "Video"? What does that
    > connect to? (That's not in the A7N8X deluxe manual either.)
    >
    > And how long are the ASUS forums at
    > http://www.asus.com.tw/support/english/techref/forum/index.aspx going
    > to say "Due to system maintenance, ASUS NetQ Forum will be closed
    > temporarily from today onwards"?
    >
    > And the broken graphic links on AOpen's instructions page aren't very
    > helpful either:
    >
    > http://club.aopen.com.tw/faq/FAQ_showAnswer.asp?RecNo=383&Language=English

    Your board uses the ALC650 CODEC chip. The last datasheet I got
    was from here, one of three Realtek FTP servers:

    ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/alc650_data5.zip

    Inside all of that, you get the "ALC650 Data Sheet_1.28.pdf".
    The modem1 connector would probably get wired to the "Phone"
    input (pin 13) and "Mono-out" (pin 37 speakerphone out). So,
    there are some hardware connections Asus could have used. There
    is a block diagram of the chip on page 3 of the datasheet.

    As for your control panel, there is some correspondence to the
    inputs on the ALC650, but the Mono-out one is missing. Maybe this
    is hidden from the user, and is controlled by the software for the
    modem ?

    Plug the Modem into the Modem1 plug and try it. Since there are
    baseline standards for AC97, maybe all this is covered by standards
    and it will work without assistance (you know, "plug and pray").

    Just a guess,
    Paul
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

    "Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote in message news:<41322db7$0$91685$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>...
    > Why do you need modem audio?

    I want to use the speakerphone features of my voicemodem -- I
    specifically bought this AOpen model for those features.

    > gonna plug your headset into the modem???

    Yes, I also bought a headset for this purpose.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

    nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message news:<nospam-2908042244380001@192.168.1.177>...
    > In article <17776f61.0408290855.1dc45aa2@posting.google.com>,
    > chuck.kahn@sympatico.ca (Chuck Kahn) wrote:
    >
    > > The internal audio connectors listed on page 30 of the A7N8X deluxe
    > > manual are CD1, AUX1 and MODEM1.
    > >
    > > Where's the MODEM1 volume control on the nForce Audio properties?
    > >
    > > http://img6.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img6&image=nforce.jpg
    >
    > Your board uses the ALC650 CODEC chip. The last datasheet I got
    > was from here, one of three Realtek FTP servers:
    >
    > ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/alc650_data5.zip
    >
    > Inside all of that, you get the "ALC650 Data Sheet_1.28.pdf".
    > The modem1 connector would probably get wired to the "Phone"
    > input (pin 13) and "Mono-out" (pin 37 speakerphone out). So,
    > there are some hardware connections Asus could have used. There
    > is a block diagram of the chip on page 3 of the datasheet.
    >
    > As for your control panel, there is some correspondence to the
    > inputs on the ALC650, but the Mono-out one is missing. Maybe this
    > is hidden from the user, and is controlled by the software for the
    > modem ?
    >
    > Plug the Modem into the Modem1 plug and try it. Since there are
    > baseline standards for AC97, maybe all this is covered by standards
    > and it will work without assistance (you know, "plug and pray").

    I plugged it in and I can hear the tone dialing through my speakers
    connected to the A7N8X-deluxe's line out (and it's level is controlled
    through the master volume, not through any of the other pots - AUX,
    MIC, etc.), but the audio cuts out after the dialing is done, so no
    ringing, no voice. I installed the latest nForce Unified Drivers
    (nForce_4.27_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe) with the AOpen modem drivers
    present, but that did not bring up a modem listing in the mixer.

    Adding ATM2 ("Speaker is always on") to the "Extra initilization
    commands" of the modem properties isn't keeping the audio going after
    dialing either. Is there an AT command for full-duplex that needs to
    be used?

    Connecting my speakers directly to the modem's line out jack isn't
    keeping the audio going after dialing either.

    Maybe updating the A7N8X-deluxe's BIOS will give better MODEM1
    performance. My current BIOS:

    - Award BIOS Message ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1005
    - System BIOS Date 05/14/03
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

    "Chuck Kahn" <chuck.kahn@post-in-toronto.on.ca> wrote in message
    | nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message
    | > In article <17776f61.0408290855.1dc45aa2@posting.google.com>,
    | > chuck.kahn@sympatico.ca (Chuck Kahn) wrote:
    | >
    | > > The internal audio connectors listed on page 30 of the A7N8X
    deluxe
    | > > manual are CD1, AUX1 and MODEM1.
    | > >
    | > > Where's the MODEM1 volume control on the nForce Audio
    properties?

    | > > http://img6.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img6&image=nforce.jpg
    | >
    | > Your board uses the ALC650 CODEC chip. The last datasheet I got
    | > was from here, one of three Realtek FTP servers:
    | >
    | > ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/alc650_data5.zip
    | >
    | > Inside all of that, you get the "ALC650 Data Sheet_1.28.pdf".
    | > The modem1 connector would probably get wired to the "Phone"
    | > input (pin 13) and "Mono-out" (pin 37 speakerphone out). So,
    | > there are some hardware connections Asus could have used. There
    | > is a block diagram of the chip on page 3 of the datasheet.
    | >
    | > As for your control panel, there is some correspondence to the
    | > inputs on the ALC650, but the Mono-out one is missing. Maybe this
    | > is hidden from the user, and is controlled by the software for the
    | > modem ?
    | >
    | > Plug the Modem into the Modem1 plug and try it. Since there are
    | > baseline standards for AC97, maybe all this is covered by
    standards
    | > and it will work without assistance (you know, "plug and pray").
    |
    | I plugged it in and I can hear the tone dialing through my speakers
    | connected to the A7N8X-deluxe's line out (and it's level is
    controlled
    | through the master volume, not through any of the other pots - AUX,
    | MIC, etc.), but the audio cuts out after the dialing is done, so no
    | ringing, no voice. I installed the latest nForce Unified Drivers
    | (nForce_4.27_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe) with the AOpen modem drivers
    | present, but that did not bring up a modem listing in the mixer.
    |
    | Adding ATM2 ("Speaker is always on") to the "Extra initilization
    | commands" of the modem properties isn't keeping the audio going
    after
    | dialing either. Is there an AT command for full-duplex that needs
    | be used?
    |
    | Connecting my speakers directly to the modem's line out jack isn't
    | keeping the audio going after dialing either.
    |
    | Maybe updating the A7N8X-deluxe's BIOS will give better MODEM1
    | performance. My current BIOS:
    |
    | - Award BIOS Message ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1005
    | - System BIOS Date 05/14/03

    Out of curiosity, what program are you using for dialing/speakerphone
    operation?

    Do you have the headset connected to MIC in and Audio out jacks?

    I am no expert but but I think for speakerphone operation with a modem
    to be successful the modem must receive a sequence of AT voice
    commands to put the modem in the correct operational mode. In
    particular, from the commands below, I believe the at+fclass=8 and
    at+vsp=1 must be issued to put the modem in speakerphone operational
    mode. The following is lifted from my Agere chipset modem INF
    installation file:

    ;HKR,, SpeakerPhoneSpecs, 1, ff,00,00,00, 00,00,00,00,
    ff,00,00,00, 00,00,00,00
    ;HKR, SpeakerPhoneEnable, 1,, "at+fclass=8<cr>"
    ;HKR, SpeakerPhoneEnable, 2,, "at+vem=1<cr>"
    ;HKR, SpeakerPhoneEnable, 3,, "at+vsp=1<cr>"
    ;HKR, SpeakerPhoneDisable, 1,, "at+fclass=8<cr>"
    ;HKR, SpeakerPhoneDisable, 2,, "at+vsp=0<cr>"
    ; v.80 incoming video & dsvd detection - enable v8 detection in voice
    mode
    ;HKR, SpeakerPhoneUnMute, 1,, "at+a8e=,5,,2<cr>"
    ;HKR, SpeakerPhoneUnMute, 2,, "at+vls=7<cr>"
    ; if v.80 is not enabled - do not send video detection
    ;HKR, SpeakerPhoneUnMute, 1,, "at+vgm=128<cr>"
    ;HKR, SpeakerPhoneMute, 1,, "at+vgm=0<cr>"
    ;HKR, SpeakerPhoneSetVolumeGain, 1,, "at+vgs=<Vol><cr>"
    ;HKR, SpeakerPhoneSetVolumeGain, 2,, "at+vgm=<Gain><cr>"

    To understand the significance of each of the commands, you should
    review the chipset manufacturer's AT command reference documentation.
    It may be possible to manually force the modem into speakerphone mode
    using Hyperterm in a test scenario by entering the correct sequence of
    commands.

    My particular modem does not support speakerphone, so most of the
    install lines above are "commented out" by the ";" in front of the
    lines so Windows will not attempt to activate such operational modes.

    Just my two bits worth.
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    In article <3f532227.0408300541.7b5a5c0e@posting.google.com>,
    chuck.kahn@post-in-toronto.on.ca (Chuck Kahn) wrote:

    > Adding ATM2 ("Speaker is always on") to the "Extra initilization
    > commands" of the modem properties isn't keeping the audio going after
    > dialing either. Is there an AT command for full-duplex that needs to
    > be used?
    >
    > Connecting my speakers directly to the modem's line out jack isn't
    > keeping the audio going after dialing either.
    >
    > Maybe updating the A7N8X-deluxe's BIOS will give better MODEM1
    > performance. My current BIOS:
    >
    > - Award BIOS Message ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1005
    > - System BIOS Date 05/14/03

    I decided to try another direction.

    I downloaded the manual for the product from here - select Fax/Modems
    and your model number:

    http://download.aopen.com.tw/downloads/default.asp?firtime=1&keyword=Manual&searchoption=keyword&sel=category&optionfun=typefun

    The PDF manual:
    http://download.aopen.com.tw/downloads/Download.asp?RecNo=3938&Section=8&Product=Fax/Modems&Model=FM56-PX&Type=Manual&DownSize=287

    Using the newegg site, I got a picture of the modem PCI board, and
    it has a Conexant CX06834 chip on it.

    Chipset:
    http://conexant.com/products/entry.jsp?id=167

    "CX06834 HCF PCI V.92 Modem Device Set

    The Conexant CX06834 Host-Controlled V.92/V.90/K56flex Modem
    supports V.92 (optional) and V.90 analog data modem operation
    with V.44 data compression and supports 14.4 kbps fax modem
    operation. The modem supports remote telephone answering machine
    (TAM), soft speakerphone, hardware voice/speakerphone (optional),
    and PCI Bus interface operation. The modem operates with PSTN
    telephone lines in the U.S./Japan/Canada and worldwide. The modem,
    part number CX06834 or R6795, is packaged in a single 144-pin thin
    quad flat pack (TQFP) that integrates a PCI Bus Interface (BIF),
    a Modem Data Pump (MDP) and a Line Codec (LC) to support
    data/fax/remote TAM (D/F) operation. This is the lowest cost device
    option. The modem optionally uses a Line/Voice Codec (LVC) instead
    of the LC to support data/fax/voice/speakerphone (D/F/V/SP)
    operation."

    As the chip itself went out of production in the year 2000, there
    is no more info to be had about the chip itself, or further
    explanation of the paragraph above. Judging by the picture in the
    manual, of a microphone and speaker jack on the faceplate of the
    PCI card, that suggests a hardware speakerphone.

    The card has enough wiring to provide functionality any way it
    wants. The fact there is a PCI bus connection, means if they wanted,
    the voice samples could be digitized and pulled digitally via the
    PCI bus. Or, the four pin cable (not documented in the manual!)
    could be connected to _something_. That three pin header, could be
    for a "wake on modem" function. There is so little info to go
    on here, really the only info of value may be buried in the
    driver for the product itself. I even tried looking for other
    products that use CX06834, and those paths look pretty dried up
    too. An altavista search suggests CX06834 products are still being
    sold in Russia.

    I noticed when shopping for a modem a year ago, that voice features
    seem to have disappeared from dial up modems, and it seems the modem
    industry has "imploded". Because high speed internet access is no
    where near being universal, there is still a lot of modem business
    to be had out there, but it seems no one is interested in that
    business. I guess this will leave a lot of customers high and dry,
    when it comes to support, drivers, and decent documentation.

    Good luck, you'll need it!

    Paul
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

> [...]
    | for a "wake on modem" function. There is so little info to go
    | on here, really the only info of value may be buried in the
    | driver for the product itself. I even tried looking for other
    | products that use CX06834, and those paths look pretty dried up
    | too. An altavista search suggests CX06834 products are still being
    | sold in Russia.
    |
    | I noticed when shopping for a modem a year ago, that voice features
    | seem to have disappeared from dial up modems, and it seems the modem
    | industry has "imploded". Because high speed internet access is no
    | where near being universal, there is still a lot of modem business
    | to be had out there, but it seems no one is interested in that
    | business. I guess this will leave a lot of customers high and dry,
    | when it comes to support, drivers, and decent documentation.

    As a matter of fact, I nearly hit the "add to cart" button for that
    exact modem a few days ago while surfing Newegg as I am disappointed
    with an Agere and an Intel chipset based modem I've tried recently.

    I use a modem with TAM capability to answer the phone and take
    messages or receive faxes. The voice features with the recent cheapie
    modems (controllerless and software type) are not always properly
    implemented (typically driver problems). For example, the Agere
    software modem I tried used an electronic "switch" DAA device rather
    than a relay to go off hook, and the DAA device caused dial tone
    detection problems (it sounds as if the AGP response is too slow). I
    finally fixed that problem by introducing a delay in dial tone
    detection, or disabling dial tone detection, forget which one worked
    the best. The agere modem connects at the highest speeds I've seen
    yet to a dialup ISP. Even after solving the dial tone detection
    problem, I have yet to find a driver that properly implements "silence
    detection/deletion" in voice operation for the Agere chipset. My
    Intel chipset based modem periodically hangs up on callers, again, a
    problem with silence detection/deletion, and fiddling with settings
    only makes the problem worse it seems. In addition, the Intel based
    modem I have does not support Caller ID, though the chip does support
    this feature, turns out the modem board itself requires a particular
    line interface device for caller ID to function with the chip, and my
    board uses the less expensive DAA device.

    The Aopen support forums provide some help with that particular modem,
    and perhaps posting a question there may generate some responses from
    those in the know. I noted the 3-wire 4-pin connection for internal
    audio with the Aopen modem which appears to be a direct connection the
    mobo header sound connections. Would be interested to hear further
    updates from the OP on this modem and successes/failures.
    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2plgdmFmcr5sU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > The Aopen support forums provide some help with that particular modem,
    > and perhaps posting a question there may generate some responses from
    > those in the know.

    I'm participating in a thread in the AOpen forums here:

    http://club.aopen.com.tw/forum/viewmessage.asp?forumID=24&MessageID=65231&P=0
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

    "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2pha82Fk75faU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > Out of curiosity, what program are you using for dialing/speakerphone
    > operation?

    I am using FaxTalk Communicator, which is provided on the AOpen
    Fax/Modem Suite CD.

    > Do you have the headset connected to MIC in and Audio out jacks?

    Yes. When connected to the MIC in/Audio out jacks, I hear only
    dialing. When connected to the modem's MIC in/Audio out jacks, I hear
    dialing, ringing and voice. I would rather not have to switch my
    headset back and forth between the soundcard and the modem.

    > I am no expert but but I think for speakerphone operation with a modem
    > to be successful the modem must receive a sequence of AT voice
    > commands to put the modem in the correct operational mode.

    Would I initiate these commands with FaxTalk or with HyperTerminal?
    And wouldn't FaxTalk reinitialize the modem once it starts, resetting
    all the HyperTerminal initiated commands? And how many of these
    commands relate to the Conexant CX06834 chipset in my AOpen FM56-PX?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.dcom.modems (More info?)

    | "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    | > Out of curiosity, what program are you using for
    dialing/speakerphone
    | > operation?
    |
    | I am using FaxTalk Communicator, which is provided on the AOpen
    | Fax/Modem Suite CD.
    |
    | > Do you have the headset connected to MIC in and Audio out jacks?
    |
    | Yes. When connected to the MIC in/Audio out jacks, I hear only
    | dialing. When connected to the modem's MIC in/Audio out jacks, I
    hear
    | dialing, ringing and voice. I would rather not have to switch my
    | headset back and forth between the soundcard and the modem.

    Yes, such a cumbersome setup is undesirable.

    | > I am no expert but but I think for speakerphone operation with a
    modem
    | > to be successful the modem must receive a sequence of AT voice
    | > commands to put the modem in the correct operational mode.
    |
    | Would I initiate these commands with FaxTalk or with HyperTerminal?
    | And wouldn't FaxTalk reinitialize the modem once it starts,
    resetting
    | all the HyperTerminal initiated commands? And how many of these
    | commands relate to the Conexant CX06834 chipset in my AOpen FM56-PX?

    As I mentioned before, I am not certain as to all of the commands that
    are required to put your modem into speakerphone operational mode.
    The best place to find this info is an AT command manual from conexant
    for the chipset and read it in depth. Hopefully, it may include some
    examples. I suggested using hyperterm to "test" a command sequence as
    one mechanism to access the modem directly. Faxtalk will, as you have
    deduced, reset the modem when it stats up. I also note that Faxtalk
    is TAPI compliant, and you can run hyperterm after faxtalk is running.

    Here is an example of what I'm trying to relate. The following is an
    excerpt from the original Rockwell "AT Commands for RC288ACx and
    RC144ACx Modem Families" chipset manual:

    Originating a Call in Speakerphone Mode

    To initiate a call with the speakerphone, issue:
    AT#CLS=8
    AT#VRN=0
    AT#VLS=6 (Selects the speakerphone)
    It is recommended to set the VRN command to 0 which disables ringback
    detection before reporting the VCON message.
    ATDT<number>
    The modem then responds with:
    VCON (based on the AT#VRA and #VRN setting)
    Additional DTMF (for example in a voice mail application) can be
    entered by issuing:
    AT#VTS=<digit>
    When DTMF digits are sent, it is recommended that the default value of
    the tone length be changed to 100 ms using the
    command #VBT:
    AT#VBT=1
    The call can be transferred (PBX function) by entering the flash dial
    modifier (AT#VTS=!).
    Terminate the call with:
    ATH

    Answering a Call in Speakerphone Mode

    To answer a call in speakerphone mode, issue:
    AT#CLS=8
    AT#VLS=6 (Selects the speakerphone)
    When the modem detects the ring, the modems reports:
    RING
    The DTE can answer with:
    ATA
    The modem sets the speakerphone and sends:
    VCON
    Terminate the call with:
    ATH

    I use Faxtalk Messenger Pro, and like it for the most part, tho it
    could use a couple of user interface improvements. My favorite
    voice/fax software was Faxworks, which was bundled with a lot of
    modems years ago. It's now an extinct product. I really liked
    Faxworks, as it was reliable and consistent in its operation.

    Faxtalk must provide full speakerphone support and must also recognize
    the modem as a speakerphone modem for this to all work nicely. In
    addition, the modem and it's drivers must include the capability to
    properly interface with the computer system's audio mixer, and
    specific audio signals must be available on the mobo to connect to the
    modem.

    I have an older Rockwell hardware 33.6 modem with full speakerphone
    capability, however, to use it in speakerphone mode, a separate mic is
    required/plugged into the back of the modem and the Faxworks software
    must be used for dialing the number so that the modem is properly
    initialized to work in speakerphone mode. I can then hear the "other
    party" in my computer speakers, but my voice signal is supplied to the
    modem via a path outside the mobo sound mixer (iow, a separate mic).
    To make things work exactly as you desire, the tricky part is how does
    one get the sound card's "mic only" signal delivered to the
    appropriate connection on the modem. What one needs is a buffered mic
    only signal to supply to the modem's mic audio input. One does not
    want the speaker output (or mixer output) mixed in with the mic audio
    as that will cause feedback in the phone line. I am uncertain if such
    a "mic only" signal is available with many mobos.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

Asus Connection Audio Motherboards