Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ or XP 3200+ "Barton" ?

I've seen posts by very happy users of each of these processors with
an ASUS A7N8X. I intend to order a A7NX8-E Deluxe and 2 sticks of
Corsair CMX512-3200C2 from Newegg next week, and I'd like to know
which CPU is more likely to give me a stable system operating with the
400 MHz FSB and the memory at 3200?

It "seems" to me that the XP3200+ should be more stable, since it's
not overclocked, but I've seen posts that indicate that overclocking
the mobile 2500+ gives a stable system also.

If the mobile chip is recommended, is a special cooling system needed,
or just a std fan and heatsink?

Finally, is there a 1GB RAM module that is recommended for this board?
The only Corsair stick listed by Newegg is $345, which is more than I
want to spend.

Charlie Hoffpauir
More about mobile athlon 2500 3200 barton

    In article <ceq4j05oa7fhcfjpd5nltv5og8v5jjtnga@4ax.com>, Charlie
    <invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

    > I've seen posts by very happy users of each of these processors with
    > an ASUS A7N8X. I intend to order a A7NX8-E Deluxe and 2 sticks of
    > Corsair CMX512-3200C2 from Newegg next week, and I'd like to know
    > which CPU is more likely to give me a stable system operating with the
    > 400 MHz FSB and the memory at 3200?
    >
    > It "seems" to me that the XP3200+ should be more stable, since it's
    > not overclocked, but I've seen posts that indicate that overclocking
    > the mobile 2500+ gives a stable system also.
    >
    > If the mobile chip is recommended, is a special cooling system needed,
    > or just a std fan and heatsink?
    >
    > Finally, is there a 1GB RAM module that is recommended for this board?
    > The only Corsair stick listed by Newegg is $345, which is more than I
    > want to spend.
    >
    > Charlie Hoffpauir
    > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    In the chip business, it pays not to have to design too many
    versions of the chips, because engineering costs to spin a version
    can be $1million for each one. For the AthlonXP, it seems to be one
    silicon die, is sorted into "bins" when it comes off the fab line.
    The bridges on the top of the chip, are set according to the limits
    of the chip that were determined by testing. So, the silicon die
    is the same on all of the same family members, they are just speed
    sorted and that is the difference between them.

    I cannot say whether an AthlonXP-M is the same die as a standard
    Athlon, but the binning constraint is slightly different, because
    the -M parts are advertised by their 35W or 45W power dissipation.
    Binning by power would give a different speed distribution than
    binning by speed, so it is hard to compare the two from
    that perspective. (I.e. Does a 35W part have to overclock better
    than a 45W part ? Why ? Don't know.)

    People buy AthlonXP-M (socket 462) devices, because they are
    cheaper than a 3200+ AthlonXP. They also have unlocked multipliers,
    which makes the processor more adjustable than the multiplier
    locked AthlonXP. It is a bit like buying a lottery ticket, in
    that the performance you get from the mobile, could have a
    spread of 500MHz, with some people getting super chips and other
    chips being so-so. The cpudatabase.com site shows that a XP-M
    2500+ or 2600+ can be boosted to 3200+ speeds pretty easily, so
    it is a reasonably safe bet. (Virtually all of the entries for
    the 2500+ XP-M go 2200MHz or higher.)

    Read the comments here, too:
    http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=0&item=19-103-436
    http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=0&item=19-103-401

    If I ever scrape the money together for a motherboard purchase,
    my next one would be an A7N8X-e or an NF7-S and a AthlonXP-M.
    If you operate the processor at stock speed, it will run
    cooler than an ordinary AthlonXP. Basically, you overclock it
    until either you get nervous because of the amount of excess
    Vcore you are using, or the heat it kicks out starts to bother
    you. I would expect making a 3200+ from one, would be an
    unexceptional experience. Again, personal preference is to
    use a large, quiet third party HSF for cooling, just from a
    noise perspective. If you are trying for record high overclocks,
    good cooling is a must. For 3200+, try the retail HSF first,
    and see whether another cooler is really needed.

    The private forums, like nforcershq.com or pcper.com (amdmb)
    have plenty of experiences posted by their participants, and
    you can get tons of info on how far the AMD processors can be
    pushed.

    If you decide to go the 3200+ route, be aware that the unscrupulous
    can convert a 2500+ to a 3200+ with one bridge change. Try
    buying the 3200+ from a local vendor, then open the package right
    in the store, and look at the top of the chip (without touching
    the pins and zapping the thing with ESD). Preferably, your vendor
    will have some way of recording the serial number of the part,
    so if you later have any questions about what you've been sold,
    the serial number recorded on the purchase receipt will match
    the serial number on the package/part. That way, there is no
    argument about where you bought it etc. I don't think fraud is
    a widespread thing, but as there doesn't appear to be much
    consumer protection involved here, caveat emptor.

    HTH,
    Paul

    "Charlie" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > I've seen posts by very happy users of each of these processors with
    > an ASUS A7N8X. I intend to order a A7NX8-E Deluxe and 2 sticks of
    > Corsair CMX512-3200C2 from Newegg next week, and I'd like to know
    > which CPU is more likely to give me a stable system operating with the
    > 400 MHz FSB and the memory at 3200?
    >
    > It "seems" to me that the XP3200+ should be more stable, since it's
    > not overclocked, but I've seen posts that indicate that overclocking
    > the mobile 2500+ gives a stable system also.
    >
    > If the mobile chip is recommended, is a special cooling system needed,
    > or just a std fan and heatsink?
    >
    > Finally, is there a 1GB RAM module that is recommended for this board?
    > The only Corsair stick listed by Newegg is $345, which is more than I
    > want to spend.
    >
    > Charlie Hoffpauir
    > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    I have had an XP2500-M for a couple of months - no problem getting XP3200+
    speeds on a cheapie HSF.
    --
    Doug Ramage

    [Watch Spam Trap]

    "Charlie" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > I've seen posts by very happy users of each of these processors with
    > an ASUS A7N8X. I intend to order a A7NX8-E Deluxe and 2 sticks of
    > Corsair CMX512-3200C2 from Newegg next week, and I'd like to know
    > which CPU is more likely to give me a stable system operating with the
    > 400 MHz FSB and the memory at 3200?
    >
    > It "seems" to me that the XP3200+ should be more stable, since it's
    > not overclocked, but I've seen posts that indicate that overclocking
    > the mobile 2500+ gives a stable system also.
    >
    > If the mobile chip is recommended, is a special cooling system needed,
    > or just a std fan and heatsink?
    >
    > Finally, is there a 1GB RAM module that is recommended for this board?
    > The only Corsair stick listed by Newegg is $345, which is more than I
    > want to spend.
    >
    > Charlie Hoffpauir
    > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    i have a non mobile and its been operating @ 3200 for 1.5yrs no problems
    stable as can be with ASUS mobo.
    i know mine is pre week39 and yes its unlocked but im happy with it this way
    without having to increase any voltage.

    --
    Almeyda

    AMD2500XP @3200XP-11X200-2.21Ghz |
    A7N8X-E Deluxe | Corsair TWINX1024 XMS3200XL 5-2-2-2 DualChannel |
    HIS Excalibur 9800XT 256mb @459/398 (Omegas 2.5.67 & ATI tool 0.21 No
    Artifacts)
    1x80GB SATA Seagate 8mg cache | 2x40GB ATA Seagate |
    SB AudigyES | ANTEC SuperLanboy 350 Case (350W SmartBlue PS) |
    Doom3 @ 1024x768 Ultra High, all visuals on. (Demo1 = 43fps vcard not
    o'clocked)

    Iam doing 2.5ghz stable as with my Mobile 2500 12.5X200 :)

    1.775 volts.

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:47:10 GMT, "Almeyda"
    <*SPAM*fabrizio5680@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Charlie" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >> I've seen posts by very happy users of each of these processors with
    >> an ASUS A7N8X. I intend to order a A7NX8-E Deluxe and 2 sticks of
    >> Corsair CMX512-3200C2 from Newegg next week, and I'd like to know
    >> which CPU is more likely to give me a stable system operating with the
    >> 400 MHz FSB and the memory at 3200?
    >>
    >> It "seems" to me that the XP3200+ should be more stable, since it's
    >> not overclocked, but I've seen posts that indicate that overclocking
    >> the mobile 2500+ gives a stable system also.
    >>
    >> If the mobile chip is recommended, is a special cooling system needed,
    >> or just a std fan and heatsink?
    >>
    >> Finally, is there a 1GB RAM module that is recommended for this board?
    >> The only Corsair stick listed by Newegg is $345, which is more than I
    >> want to spend.
    >>
    >> Charlie Hoffpauir
    >> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/
    >

    >i have a non mobile and its been operating @ 3200 for 1.5yrs no problems
    >stable as can be with ASUS mobo.
    >i know mine is pre week39 and yes its unlocked but im happy with it this way
    >without having to increase any voltage.

    HELLO NURSE.

Asus Mobile Windows XP Motherboards