Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ or XP 3200+ "Barton" ?

Charlie

I've seen posts by very happy users of each of these processors with
an ASUS A7N8X. I intend to order a A7NX8-E Deluxe and 2 sticks of
Corsair CMX512-3200C2 from Newegg next week, and I'd like to know
which CPU is more likely to give me a stable system operating with the
400 MHz FSB and the memory at 3200?

It "seems" to me that the XP3200+ should be more stable, since it's
not overclocked, but I've seen posts that indicate that overclocking
the mobile 2500+ gives a stable system also.

If the mobile chip is recommended, is a special cooling system needed,
or just a std fan and heatsink?

Finally, is there a 1GB RAM module that is recommended for this board?
The only Corsair stick listed by Newegg is $345, which is more than I
want to spend.

Charlie Hoffpauir

Paul

Splendid

In article <ceq4j05oa7fhcfjpd5nltv5og8v5jjtnga@4ax.com>, Charlie
<invalid@invalid.com> wrote:

> I've seen posts by very happy users of each of these processors with
> an ASUS A7N8X. I intend to order a A7NX8-E Deluxe and 2 sticks of
> Corsair CMX512-3200C2 from Newegg next week, and I'd like to know
> which CPU is more likely to give me a stable system operating with the
> 400 MHz FSB and the memory at 3200?
>
> It "seems" to me that the XP3200+ should be more stable, since it's
> not overclocked, but I've seen posts that indicate that overclocking
> the mobile 2500+ gives a stable system also.
>
> If the mobile chip is recommended, is a special cooling system needed,
> or just a std fan and heatsink?
>
> Finally, is there a 1GB RAM module that is recommended for this board?
> The only Corsair stick listed by Newegg is $345, which is more than I
> want to spend.
>
> Charlie Hoffpauir
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

In the chip business, it pays not to have to design too many
versions of the chips, because engineering costs to spin a version
can be $1million for each one. For the AthlonXP, it seems to be one
silicon die, is sorted into "bins" when it comes off the fab line.
The bridges on the top of the chip, are set according to the limits
of the chip that were determined by testing. So, the silicon die
is the same on all of the same family members, they are just speed
sorted and that is the difference between them.

I cannot say whether an AthlonXP-M is the same die as a standard
Athlon, but the binning constraint is slightly different, because
the -M parts are advertised by their 35W or 45W power dissipation.
Binning by power would give a different speed distribution than
binning by speed, so it is hard to compare the two from
that perspective. (I.e. Does a 35W part have to overclock better
than a 45W part ? Why ? Don't know.)

People buy AthlonXP-M (socket 462) devices, because they are
cheaper than a 3200+ AthlonXP. They also have unlocked multipliers,
which makes the processor more adjustable than the multiplier
locked AthlonXP. It is a bit like buying a lottery ticket, in
that the performance you get from the mobile, could have a
spread of 500MHz, with some people getting super chips and other
chips being so-so. The cpudatabase.com site shows that a XP-M
2500+ or 2600+ can be boosted to 3200+ speeds pretty easily, so
it is a reasonably safe bet. (Virtually all of the entries for
the 2500+ XP-M go 2200MHz or higher.)

Read the comments here, too:
http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=0&item=19-103-436
http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=0&item=19-103-401

If I ever scrape the money together for a motherboard purchase,
my next one would be an A7N8X-e or an NF7-S and a AthlonXP-M.
If you operate the processor at stock speed, it will run
cooler than an ordinary AthlonXP. Basically, you overclock it
until either you get nervous because of the amount of excess
Vcore you are using, or the heat it kicks out starts to bother
you. I would expect making a 3200+ from one, would be an
unexceptional experience. Again, personal preference is to
use a large, quiet third party HSF for cooling, just from a
noise perspective. If you are trying for record high overclocks,
good cooling is a must. For 3200+, try the retail HSF first,
and see whether another cooler is really needed.

The private forums, like nforcershq.com or pcper.com (amdmb)
have plenty of experiences posted by their participants, and
you can get tons of info on how far the AMD processors can be
pushed.

If you decide to go the 3200+ route, be aware that the unscrupulous
can convert a 2500+ to a 3200+ with one bridge change. Try
buying the 3200+ from a local vendor, then open the package right
in the store, and look at the top of the chip (without touching
the pins and zapping the thing with ESD). Preferably, your vendor
will have some way of recording the serial number of the part,
so if you later have any questions about what you've been sold,
the serial number recorded on the purchase receipt will match
the serial number on the package/part. That way, there is no
argument about where you bought it etc. I don't think fraud is
a widespread thing, but as there doesn't appear to be much
consumer protection involved here, caveat emptor.

HTH,
Paul

"Charlie" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> I've seen posts by very happy users of each of these processors with
> an ASUS A7N8X. I intend to order a A7NX8-E Deluxe and 2 sticks of
> Corsair CMX512-3200C2 from Newegg next week, and I'd like to know
> which CPU is more likely to give me a stable system operating with the
> 400 MHz FSB and the memory at 3200?
>
> It "seems" to me that the XP3200+ should be more stable, since it's
> not overclocked, but I've seen posts that indicate that overclocking
> the mobile 2500+ gives a stable system also.
>
> If the mobile chip is recommended, is a special cooling system needed,
> or just a std fan and heatsink?
>
> Finally, is there a 1GB RAM module that is recommended for this board?
> The only Corsair stick listed by Newegg is $345, which is more than I
> want to spend.
>
> Charlie Hoffpauir
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

I have had an XP2500-M for a couple of months - no problem getting XP3200+
speeds on a cheapie HSF.
--
Doug Ramage

[Watch Spam Trap]

"Charlie" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> I've seen posts by very happy users of each of these processors with
> an ASUS A7N8X. I intend to order a A7NX8-E Deluxe and 2 sticks of
> Corsair CMX512-3200C2 from Newegg next week, and I'd like to know
> which CPU is more likely to give me a stable system operating with the
> 400 MHz FSB and the memory at 3200?
>
> It "seems" to me that the XP3200+ should be more stable, since it's
> not overclocked, but I've seen posts that indicate that overclocking
> the mobile 2500+ gives a stable system also.
>
> If the mobile chip is recommended, is a special cooling system needed,
> or just a std fan and heatsink?
>
> Finally, is there a 1GB RAM module that is recommended for this board?
> The only Corsair stick listed by Newegg is $345, which is more than I
> want to spend.
>
> Charlie Hoffpauir
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

i have a non mobile and its been operating @ 3200 for 1.5yrs no problems
stable as can be with ASUS mobo.
i know mine is pre week39 and yes its unlocked but im happy with it this way
without having to increase any voltage.

--
Almeyda

AMD2500XP @3200XP-11X200-2.21Ghz |
A7N8X-E Deluxe | Corsair TWINX1024 XMS3200XL 5-2-2-2 DualChannel |
HIS Excalibur 9800XT 256mb @459/398 (Omegas 2.5.67 & ATI tool 0.21 No
Artifacts)
1x80GB SATA Seagate 8mg cache | 2x40GB ATA Seagate |
SB AudigyES | ANTEC SuperLanboy 350 Case (350W SmartBlue PS) |
Doom3 @ 1024x768 Ultra High, all visuals on. (Demo1 = 43fps vcard not
o'clocked)

Iam doing 2.5ghz stable as with my Mobile 2500 12.5X200 :)

1.775 volts.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:47:10 GMT, "Almeyda"
<*SPAM*fabrizio5680@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Charlie" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> I've seen posts by very happy users of each of these processors with
>> an ASUS A7N8X. I intend to order a A7NX8-E Deluxe and 2 sticks of
>> Corsair CMX512-3200C2 from Newegg next week, and I'd like to know
>> which CPU is more likely to give me a stable system operating with the
>> 400 MHz FSB and the memory at 3200?
>>
>> It "seems" to me that the XP3200+ should be more stable, since it's
>> not overclocked, but I've seen posts that indicate that overclocking
>> the mobile 2500+ gives a stable system also.
>>
>> If the mobile chip is recommended, is a special cooling system needed,
>> or just a std fan and heatsink?
>>
>> Finally, is there a 1GB RAM module that is recommended for this board?
>> The only Corsair stick listed by Newegg is $345, which is more than I
>> want to spend.
>>
>> Charlie Hoffpauir
>> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/
>

>i have a non mobile and its been operating @ 3200 for 1.5yrs no problems
>stable as can be with ASUS mobo.
>i know mine is pre week39 and yes its unlocked but im happy with it this way
>without having to increase any voltage.

HELLO NURSE.