I want to transfert a RAID 0 setup, to another RAID controller is this possible?

I mean I have a P4C800-E on RAID 0 and im switching to an A8V and want to
migrate my windows without re-installing it and backup all

Thanks

my understanding is that you would have to do a repair install anyway
because of the different motherboards.

As to whether the raid array would transfer.....don't know and would be
interested to know the answer. However, I think you should backup before
you start.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No, it does not work. It does only work if you got the same controllercard.

I tried it several times myself. Because of that i bought me a highpoint
controller card because if you switch mainboard and keep the card and put it
back into the pci slot it works correctly.

But the thing is you have to do a repair installation anyway. Like Paul
said. But thats okay for me.

Frank

"Frank" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote in message
> No, it does not work. It does only work if you got the same
controllercard.

> I tried it several times myself. Because of that i bought me a highpoint
> controller card because if you switch mainboard and keep the card and put
it
> back into the pci slot it works correctly.
>
> But the thing is you have to do a repair installation anyway. Like Paul
> said. But thats okay for me.
>
> Frank

I got away without a repair installation when I upgraded a few weeks ago -
and that was from AMD to Intel and new graphics card etc.

However, I did interpose 2 itermediate steps of cloning, using Ghost, the
AMD RAID0 array to a single (larger) PATA drive, and then cloning the PATA
drive to a new RAID0 array.

Doug Ramage

There are two questions here, first, moving the system to a different
motherboard (forget the drives), and, second, moving the drives.

You will need to do a repair install to change from the Intel to the AMD
motherboard, and that's in the best case (in the worst case, you will
need to do a completely clean install)

As for the drives, they may or may not be able to move intact. If both
motherboards are using Promise RAID controllers, you can PROBABALY get
away with that, but, again, you will have to try it to be sure.