Asus AV/S Addon TV Out board

I'm using an A7N8X-VM/400 and like many others here, I'm having a hard time
finding this board locally. After looking at various pictures of this board
on the net, and seeing some rediculous prices posted for it, 2 questions
come to mind:

1. Before I order one of these boards, can anyone confirm that the quality
is worth it? How does playing a good DVD look on the TV via the AV/S board?

2. Does anyone have any Canadian sources for this board?

3. It looks quite simple to build, for anyone with some experience in
electronics: does anyone have a circuit diagram? A couple of really macro
hi-res pictures of top and bottom would do as well (I don't think they'd use
more than 2-layers on this PCB).

TIA

fred

In article <cDFYc.6534$CG3.440239@news20.bellglobal.com>, Y
<who@what.com> writes
>I'm using an A7N8X-VM/400 and like many others here, I'm having a hard time
>finding this board locally. After looking at various pictures of this board
>on the net, and seeing some rediculous prices posted for it, 2 questions
>come to mind:
>
>1. Before I order one of these boards, can anyone confirm that the quality
>is worth it? How does playing a good DVD look on the TV via the AV/S board?
>
>2. Does anyone have any Canadian sources for this board?
>
>3. It looks quite simple to build, for anyone with some experience in
>electronics: does anyone have a circuit diagram? A couple of really macro
>hi-res pictures of top and bottom would do as well (I don't think they'd use
>more than 2-layers on this PCB).

Fortunately my board came with one so I can give you some insight into
what they do:
1. Provide a mechanical fixing bracket for your composite (phono) and S-
video (minidin) connectors.
2. Nothing else . . . .

Well they do actually make a feeble attempts at meeting EMC specs by
having a simple RFI filter on each signal lead, but this is basically a
pass thro' board.

Here's the header pinout:
___
Y/C1 (S-Video) Pin2 |X #| Pin1 - GND
Y/C2 (S-Video) Pin4 |X X| Pin3 - NOPIN
Composite Video Pin6 |X X| Pin5 - GND
---
Pin numbering is the standard for this type of header, pin1 (#) has a
square pad.

I'm not using S-Video so I haven't bothered to work out which pin is
which on that interface, a pin switch if it doesn't work should solve
the problem.

If you just want composite, then I would make up a 2pin socket header to
a piece of screened cable with a phono socket on the end and just pop it
on the last 2 pins. Bring the cable out at a convenient point & connect
to that pigtail.

If you're interested, the RFI filter is just a chip ferrite inductor in
series with the signal plus a 100pF (ish) chip capacitor connected from
the output side of that to chassis ground. You can ignore this if you
are not experiencing interference problems.

Remember that this board (Nvidia driver) normally auto detects a TV
connection and whether you have a composite or S-Video connection at
startup. It will disable the TV out if none is found. This can be
overriden in the Nvidia setup, under troubleshooting I think.

HTH
--
fred

Thanks fred, for taking the time to write that out. It's exactly all the
info I needed.
It amazes me that I've seen this board priced as high as $27 US (+shipping).

Much obliged,