Help with P4C800E-Del w/Asus 9800XT

swoop

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004

I am finishing building a new machine using the P4C800E-Deluxe MB, 1G
Corsair TwinX3200-1024-C2 dual channel ram, Antec True Power 550watt PS,
with a Asus 9800XT video card. Win XP Pro SP-1. Running a Maxtor 80G Sata
drive and and NEC DVD/CD drive.

From the boot I get the boot screen Asus AI logo overlayed with white dots
about 1/2" apart. The bios screens are also screwy with dots or lines
showing on them entirely.

WinXP Pro - during the boot screen with the moving green dot, I have the
entire screen covered with "square" blue dots about 1/2" apart.

Wierd thing is WinXP Pro opens OK except that "around" the cursor are faint
lines that move around the screen. Some of the Icons also have the same
faint line effect.

If I load the ASUS drivers either from cd or newer downloaded drivers from
Asus, the "video" crashes during boot and puts the monitor to sleep.

Very frustrating

Any ideas? Bad Card? Bad AGP slot?

I have a lot of money sitting idle currrently as I attempt to figure this
out.

-Steve

How is your Monitor connected to Videocard? DVI? Check cable is ok.

"Swoop" <shoupsc@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am finishing building a new machine using the P4C800E-Deluxe MB, 1G
> Corsair TwinX3200-1024-C2 dual channel ram, Antec True Power 550watt PS,
> with a Asus 9800XT video card. Win XP Pro SP-1. Running a Maxtor 80G Sata
> drive and and NEC DVD/CD drive.
>
> From the boot I get the boot screen Asus AI logo overlayed with white dots
> about 1/2" apart. The bios screens are also screwy with dots or lines
> showing on them entirely.
>
> WinXP Pro - during the boot screen with the moving green dot, I have the
> entire screen covered with "square" blue dots about 1/2" apart.
>
> Wierd thing is WinXP Pro opens OK except that "around" the cursor are
faint
> lines that move around the screen. Some of the Icons also have the same
> faint line effect.
>
> If I load the ASUS drivers either from cd or newer downloaded drivers from
> Asus, the "video" crashes during boot and puts the monitor to sleep.
>
> Very frustrating
>
> Any ideas? Bad Card? Bad AGP slot?
>
> I have a lot of money sitting idle currrently as I attempt to figure this
> out.
>
> -Steve

swoop

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004

Standard VGA. Didnt think to try DVI with adapter to VGA. Planning on second
monitor anyway. Using for 3d rendering on a program similar to Autocad.