K8V SE Duluxe....Dead I think

G,day
I just tried flashing bios using Asus EZ Flash (Alt + F2)during post.
It found the new bios file on the floppy then said 'erasing' then said
'Flash Failed!'

It now won't boot at all.....no post screens.....nothing, just black screen.

Tried recovery with cd but it won't even get to that stage.
Tried clearing CMOS...still no good.

Does anyone have any ideas or am I up for a new m/board?

Thanks

Scott

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:04:03 GMT, "gRot" <grotxr8@bigpond.com> wrote:

>G,day
>I just tried flashing bios using Asus EZ Flash (Alt + F2)during post.
>It found the new bios file on the floppy then said 'erasing' then said
>'Flash Failed!'
>
>It now won't boot at all.....no post screens.....nothing, just black screen.
>
>Tried recovery with cd but it won't even get to that stage.
>Tried clearing CMOS...still no good.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas or am I up for a new m/board?
>
>Thanks
>
>Scott

Try:
http://www.badflash.com
Good service and reasonable prices for fixing screwups.

Jim

"gRot" <grotxr8@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> G,day
> I just tried flashing bios using Asus EZ Flash (Alt + F2)during post.
> It found the new bios file on the floppy then said 'erasing' then said
> 'Flash Failed!'
>
> It now won't boot at all.....no post screens.....nothing, just black
> screen.
>
> Tried recovery with cd but it won't even get to that stage.
> Tried clearing CMOS...still no good.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or am I up for a new m/board?
>
> Thanks
>
> Scott

I did the same thing with my K8V-SE and bought a
new bios chip from www.badflash.com
This is one reason I will now always use the latest
dos based bios flash program. Sometimes Asus or
other manufacturer will release a bios in which the boot block
is changed. And has to be flashed by the latest bios
flasher. There should have been instructions with the
bios. There wasn't on the sight I downloaded from.
But I did find them on the German FTP site after it
was too late.

Jim M

I did the same to my P4P-800, I searched E-Bay and found a new flashed chip
for $15.00 U.S. Then I picked up a chip remover from Radio Shack for $10.00
U.S. and I had my board back up and running. The guy I found on E_bay even
offered to reflash the chip if I wanted.

I think I found him when I searched for Bios Chips.

Hope this helps

"gRot" <grotxr8@bigpond.com> writes:
> I just tried flashing bios using Asus EZ Flash (Alt + F2)during post.
> It found the new bios file on the floppy then said 'erasing' then said
> 'Flash Failed!'

Join the club. Same thing will happen to anyone using ezflash to
upgrade from the stock BIOS on that motherboard. Asus forgot to
document this minor shortcoming in their NOTES.

Either RMA the board or have them ship you a new eeprom to swap in.
Pulling the old flash out is a bit tricky without the proper tool.

-wolfgang