Image / Hard Drive Help Needed

June 12, 2004 4:08:18 AM

I use True Image to create a backup image of my hard drive. True Image
works great for every scenario but the one in which the hard drive has
gotten a bad sector that has caused the OS to become unstable. Knowing it
best to replace the hard drive right away, it did raise some questions.
True Image, along with some other imaging software, does not format or
perform a disk check before restoring the image.

Not exactly understanding all the details of what is occurring as the hard
drive is trying to write,
is there something built into the drive itself that recognizes there is a
bad sector or that it is unable to write, therefore it adjust by moving to
the next sector to continue writing when restoring the image?

Would formatting ahead make any difference?
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 4:08:19 AM

Bob, you can go to the manufacturers website of the drive and download a
diagnostic utility. Usually it's in
Dos format and you run it from a floppy disk.

!