Aaron Johannsen
Sinrazon, Inc
153 South Cypress Street,
Orange, CA 92866

pH (714) 532-6878
Fax (714) 532-1587
10 answers Last reply
More about ping latency

    Phych committed to the eternal aether...:

    > Are these interchangable terms?

    Yes, same thing.

    "Phych" <me@noway.net> wrote in message
    > Are these interchangable terms? If not,
    > how can I view my ping for a given
    > server in CS:S?

    They are similar. Ping is how long it takes to get to a place one way,
    latency is the total time there and back, ie, the constant delay.

    If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me, but I'm probably right :p

    Lief committed to the eternal aether...:

    > "Phych" <me@noway.net> wrote in message

    >> Are these interchangable terms? If not,
    >> how can I view my ping for a given
    >> server in CS:S?

    > They are similar. Ping is how long it takes to get to a place one way,
    > latency is the total time there and back, ie, the constant delay.
    >
    > If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me, but I'm probably right :p

    They both include the 'return trip'. Really different terms for exactly the
    same thing

    This is illustrated (in windows) if you open a command window and ping an
    ip address (say 144.135.18.10 - telstra.com). The ping time is the time (in
    milliseconds) it takes from when the (default) 32B packet is sent until
    when the response is received. You can send bigger packets using the -l
    switch, this makes the journet takes longer. I don't know how big the
    paketss are or exactly how HL determines this ping/latency time, but when I
    have tested the cmd window ping and the CS:S server browser ping, they are
    always similar.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "Damien McBain" <news@themadbomber.net> wrote in message
    > Lief committed to the eternal aether...:
    >
    >> "Phych" <me@noway.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>> Are these interchangable terms? If not,
    >>> how can I view my ping for a given
    >>> server in CS:S?
    >
    >> They are similar. Ping is how long it takes to get to a place one way,
    >> latency is the total time there and back, ie, the constant delay.
    >>
    >> If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me, but I'm probably right :p
    >
    > They both include the 'return trip'. Really different terms for exactly the
    > same thing

    Yes remember that ping is short for ping pong, the term used by early system
    developers to indicate a packet being sent then returned.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 15:43:57 +0100, "DustJunky" <me@privacy.net>
    wrote:

    >Yes remember that ping is short for ping pong, the term used by early system
    >developers to indicate a packet being sent then returned.

    I believe the term is actually taken from sonar pings in submarines.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    PING is the name of the DOS command that checks latency...

    So, more or less interchangeable in the typical context in which they are
    used........

    "Phych" <me@noway.net> wrote in message
    > Are these interchangable terms? If not,
    > how can I view my ping for a given
    > server in CS:S?
    >
    > --
    > Aaron Johannsen
    > Sinrazon, Inc
    > 153 South Cypress Street,
    > Orange, CA 92866
    >
    > pH (714) 532-6878
    > Fax (714) 532-1587

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    > On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 15:43:57 +0100, "DustJunky" <me@privacy.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Yes remember that ping is short for ping pong, the term used by early system
    >>developers to indicate a packet being sent then returned.
    >
    > I believe the term is actually taken from sonar pings in submarines.

    On some very old mini systems the command is pingpong
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:47:34 +0100, "DustJunky" <me@privacy.net>
    wrote:

    >On some very old mini systems the command is pingpong

    From the guy who wrote it:
    http://ftp.arl.mil/~mike/ping.html
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    > Phych committed to the eternal aether...:
    >
    > > Are these interchangable terms?
    >
    > Yes, same thing.

    Oh.

    I thought that "ping" was simply the communications delay (on the basis that
    PING is a simple part of protocol, mostly unaffected by CPU speed etc).

    Latency includes both PING and the CPU cycles in the measurement - so if the
    CS client or server is slow it will affect latency.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "Phych" <me@noway.net> wrote in message
    > Are these interchangable terms? If not,

    no!

    Latency is the time in which it takes for the client to "communicate and
    respond" i.e. the time from the source sending a packet to the source receiving
    a response, is the latency. Ping is simply Round-trip latency!

    > how can I view my ping for a given
    > server in CS:S?

    Best way is to use a client machine that's not attached to your local
    connection.

    > --
    > Aaron Johannsen
    > Sinrazon, Inc