Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can only see one way on network.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 10:09:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Ok....
After two days I'm still stuck!
One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running XP Pro.
Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop, but
cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found nothing.
What am I missing!?!?!?!

More about : network

December 28, 2004 11:34:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

R-Dub wrote:

> Ok....
> After two days I'm still stuck!
> One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running
> XP Pro.
> Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop,
> but
> cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
> internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
> identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
> nothing. What am I missing!?!?!?!

The first thing to check is whether you've allowed the lan connection in
a firewall. If you have SP2 and a third-party firewall, disable the
Windows Firewall. Put your lan IP range in the third-party firewall's
exceptions as allowed. Exact configuration will differ depending on the
firewall. If you do not have a third-party firewall and are using the
Windows Firewall, make sure that File & Printer Sharing is enabled in
the Firewall's Exceptions.

Aside from that, go through MVP Hans-Georg Michna's network
troubleshooter here:

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 11:53:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Norton Firewall is installed on both machines. The LAN address is allowed on
both. The XP firewall is disabled.

"Malke" wrote:

> R-Dub wrote:
>
> > Ok....
> > After two days I'm still stuck!
> > One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running
> > XP Pro.
> > Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop,
> > but
> > cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
> > internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
> > identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
> > nothing. What am I missing!?!?!?!
>
> The first thing to check is whether you've allowed the lan connection in
> a firewall. If you have SP2 and a third-party firewall, disable the
> Windows Firewall. Put your lan IP range in the third-party firewall's
> exceptions as allowed. Exact configuration will differ depending on the
> firewall. If you do not have a third-party firewall and are using the
> Windows Firewall, make sure that File & Printer Sharing is enabled in
> the Firewall's Exceptions.
>
> Aside from that, go through MVP Hans-Georg Michna's network
> troubleshooter here:
>
> http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
>
Related resources
December 28, 2004 12:30:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

R-Dub wrote:

> Norton Firewall is installed on both machines. The LAN address is
> allowed on
> both. The XP firewall is disabled.
>
Fine. Go through Hans-Georg's troubleshooter. Post the results here if
you still need help afterwards.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 3:26:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

"R-Dub" <RDub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8FA452CC-9B8C-4425-BF60-A0BF06EB4BEB@microsoft.com...
> Ok....
> After two days I'm still stuck!
> One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running XP
> Pro.
> Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop, but
> cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
> internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
> identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
> nothing.
> What am I missing!?!?!?!
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 29, 2004 10:15:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Carey,
I went through your procedure for the third time and finally found the piece
I was overlooking. Somehow I kept missing the "Binding for LAN connections".
TCP/IP was not checked on the desktop machine. Everything is working fine
now! Thanks for your help!

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>
> Carey
>
> "R-Dub" <RDub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8FA452CC-9B8C-4425-BF60-A0BF06EB4BEB@microsoft.com...
> > Ok....
> > After two days I'm still stuck!
> > One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running XP
> > Pro.
> > Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop, but
> > cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
> > internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
> > identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
> > nothing.
> > What am I missing!?!?!?!
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 30, 2004 3:21:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

You're very welcome. Please sign my guestbook at www.careyholzman.com (the
link is in the lower-left corner)

Thanks!
Carey

"R-Dub" <RDub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8B3DC069-5700-472C-B920-0EAB0451C3DB@microsoft.com...
> Carey,
> I went through your procedure for the third time and finally found the
> piece
> I was overlooking. Somehow I kept missing the "Binding for LAN
> connections".
> TCP/IP was not checked on the desktop machine. Everything is working fine
> now! Thanks for your help!
>
> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
>
>> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "R-Dub" <RDub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:8FA452CC-9B8C-4425-BF60-A0BF06EB4BEB@microsoft.com...
>> > Ok....
>> > After two days I'm still stuck!
>> > One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running XP
>> > Pro.
>> > Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop,
>> > but
>> > cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
>> > internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
>> > identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
>> > nothing.
>> > What am I missing!?!?!?!
>>
>>
>>
!