Can only see one way on network.

Ok....
After two days I'm still stuck!
One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running XP Pro.
Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop, but
cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found nothing.
What am I missing!?!?!?!
6 answers Last reply
More about network

    R-Dub wrote:

    > Ok....
    > After two days I'm still stuck!
    > One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running
    > XP Pro.
    > Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop,
    > but
    > cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
    > internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
    > identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
    > nothing. What am I missing!?!?!?!

    The first thing to check is whether you've allowed the lan connection in
    a firewall. If you have SP2 and a third-party firewall, disable the
    Windows Firewall. Put your lan IP range in the third-party firewall's
    exceptions as allowed. Exact configuration will differ depending on the
    firewall. If you do not have a third-party firewall and are using the
    Windows Firewall, make sure that File & Printer Sharing is enabled in
    the Firewall's Exceptions.

    Aside from that, go through MVP Hans-Georg Michna's network
    troubleshooter here:

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Norton Firewall is installed on both machines. The LAN address is allowed on
    both. The XP firewall is disabled.

    R-Dub wrote:

    > Norton Firewall is installed on both machines. The LAN address is
    > allowed on
    > both. The XP firewall is disabled.

    Fine. Go through Hans-Georg's troubleshooter. Post the results here if
    you still need help afterwards.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"

    www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

    Carey

    "R-Dub" <RDub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok....
    > After two days I'm still stuck!
    > One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running XP
    > Pro.
    > Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop, but
    > cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
    > internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
    > identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
    > nothing.
    > What am I missing!?!?!?!

    Carey,
    I went through your procedure for the third time and finally found the piece
    I was overlooking. Somehow I kept missing the "Binding for LAN connections".
    TCP/IP was not checked on the desktop machine. Everything is working fine
    now! Thanks for your help!

    "Carey Holzman" wrote:

    > www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
    >
    > Carey
    >
    > "R-Dub" <RDub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Ok....
    > > After two days I'm still stuck!
    > > One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running XP
    > > Pro.
    > > Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop, but
    > > cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
    > > internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
    > > identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
    > > nothing.
    > > What am I missing!?!?!?!

    You're very welcome. Please sign my guestbook at www.careyholzman.com (the
    link is in the lower-left corner)

    Thanks!

    > Carey,
    > I went through your procedure for the third time and finally found the
    > piece
    > I was overlooking. Somehow I kept missing the "Binding for LAN
    > connections".
    > TCP/IP was not checked on the desktop machine. Everything is working fine
    > now! Thanks for your help!
    >
    > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
    >
    >> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
    >>
    >> Carey
    >>
    >> "R-Dub" <RDub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Ok....
    >> > After two days I'm still stuck!
    >> > One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running XP
    >> > Pro.
    >> > Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop,
    >> > but
    >> > cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
    >> > internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
    >> > identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
    >> > nothing.
    >> > What am I missing!?!?!?!

Wireless Notebooks Desktops Wireless Networking