Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to set P4C800-ED BIOS so SATA Raptor is C: Drive?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 30, 2004 5:54:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I am going to be re-installing Win XP.

On the first install,
Primary IDE C: Zip, D: CD-ROM,
Secondary IDE: None,
Third IDE (SATA) E: HDD

Is there a way to make the HDD C: instead of E: while staying on SATA
connection?

Since I can't change the drive letter in Windows, because it says it can't
change the boot drive, how do I do so in a re-install?

Thanks,
QZ
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 30, 2004 11:19:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I believe that all that you have to do is set the IDE enhanced mode to on,
and S-ATA. That ought to make the S-ATA drive be the default drive. (I had
the same problem with my P4P800.)

You may have to reformat the drive to fix the drive letter problem.

Alternately, you can change the drive letter using a DOS-based utility like
Partition Magic, but the boot drive will probably be messed up if you do
that. (There'll be a lot of inappropriate entries in the Registry.) You may
be able to change the drive letter, and patch things up with a repair
install.

Best of luck.

Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10j6qelc9orgtf8@corp.supernews.com...
>I am going to be re-installing Win XP.
>
> On the first install,
> Primary IDE C: Zip, D: CD-ROM,
> Secondary IDE: None,
> Third IDE (SATA) E: HDD
>
> Is there a way to make the HDD C: instead of E: while staying on SATA
> connection?
>
> Since I can't change the drive letter in Windows, because it says it can't
> change the boot drive, how do I do so in a re-install?
>
> Thanks,
> QZ
>
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 30, 2004 11:36:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

install with only the sata hdd & cdrom installed.
cheers

"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10j6qelc9orgtf8@corp.supernews.com...
>I am going to be re-installing Win XP.
>
> On the first install,
> Primary IDE C: Zip, D: CD-ROM,
> Secondary IDE: None,
> Third IDE (SATA) E: HDD
>
> Is there a way to make the HDD C: instead of E: while staying on SATA
> connection?
>
> Since I can't change the drive letter in Windows, because it says it can't
> change the boot drive, how do I do so in a re-install?
>
> Thanks,
> QZ
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2004 12:48:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:2phqvlFk8lflU1@uni-berlin.de...
> I believe that all that you have to do is set the IDE enhanced mode to on,
> and S-ATA. That ought to make the S-ATA drive be the default drive. (I had
> the same problem with my P4P800.)

It was set that way already.

> You may have to reformat the drive to fix the drive letter problem.

I will be reformatting and re-installing WinXP, and this time I will have
the Zip drive disabled in BIOS, and then enable it after WinXP is installed.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2004 2:22:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hmmm - I guess that my memory fails me.

I believed that I had a problem with the enhanced mode set to PATA + SATA,
but that things were OK once it was set to (only) SATA. I disconnected the
USB drives, but a DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, and an old 100 MB IDE Zip drive all fell
into place as regards drive letters.

At the moment, I'm running a pair of drives in RAID 0, so things are a bit
different anyway.

Bob Kn.

"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10j7iicb9fv75ad@corp.supernews.com...
> "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:2phqvlFk8lflU1@uni-berlin.de...
>> I believe that all that you have to do is set the IDE enhanced mode to
>> on,
>> and S-ATA. That ought to make the S-ATA drive be the default drive. (I
>> had
>> the same problem with my P4P800.)
>
> It was set that way already.
>
>> You may have to reformat the drive to fix the drive letter problem.
>
> I will be reformatting and re-installing WinXP, and this time I will have
> the Zip drive disabled in BIOS, and then enable it after WinXP is
> installed.
>
>
>
>
August 31, 2004 9:30:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:54:26 -0400, "QZ" <nothing> wrote:

>I am going to be re-installing Win XP.
>
>On the first install,
>Primary IDE C: Zip, D: CD-ROM,
>Secondary IDE: None,
>Third IDE (SATA) E: HDD
>
>Is there a way to make the HDD C: instead of E: while staying on SATA
>connection?
>
>Since I can't change the drive letter in Windows, because it says it can't
>change the boot drive, how do I do so in a re-install?
>
>Thanks,
>QZ
>
As Ayoub mentioned, the easiest most foolproof way is to install with
only the sata hdd & cdrom installed. I would suggest using the Intel
controller as it does not utilize the PCI bus, which is a performance
plus. Disable the Promise controller in the bios if it is not going
to be utilized during the install. No additional drivers will be
needed by XP to recognize the drive. Make sure you set the SATA drive
as first drive in the bios, and obviously when setting your boot order
during the intial install, set the cdrom to 1st boot device, and the
SATA as 2nd boot device. Should go easily and the SATA drive will end
up as C: when you are done.

Ender


"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 4:59:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Ender" <enderwiggin3rd@SBhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:95r9j01ae52ubl8c6p348umvrduqls172u@4ax.com...
> As Ayoub mentioned, the easiest most foolproof way is to install with
> only the sata hdd & cdrom installed. I would suggest using the Intel
> controller as it does not utilize the PCI bus, which is a performance
> plus. Disable the Promise controller in the bios if it is not going
> to be utilized during the install. No additional drivers will be
> needed by XP to recognize the drive.

Used Intel SATA last time, Promise disabled.

> Make sure you set the SATA drive
> as first drive in the bios,

I only have one HDD. I guess there is a setting for SATA/IDE priority?

> and obviously when setting your boot order
> during the intial install, set the cdrom to 1st boot device, and the
> SATA as 2nd boot device. Should go easily and the SATA drive will end
> up as C: when you are done.
!