Vortex2 pci on P3C2000 HELP!

Because of my mistake while making settings for a new videocard, my
Bios settings went back to factory defaults and now my Aureal Vortex2
PCI soundcard won't work anymore. My MB is Asus P3C2000 (i820). I have
disabled Onboard AC97 Modem Controller, Onboard Game Port, Onboard
MIDI I/O in Bios, do I have to disable Onboard AC97 Audio Controller
too? There is no "Onboard Audio Legacy" in the Bios to disable. Also I
have read that jumper 5 has to be moved to test mode but my MB is
"jumper free". I have read that Soundblaster emulation has to be
disabled in the Device Manager but there is no options or anything for
SB.
There also used to be instructions for disabling SB in
www.vortexofsound.com but now that the company no longer exists the
site is gone too.
Before my settings went wrong and the soundcard was working ok, there
was always a line seen during startup saying "error, sound blaster
disabled".
I can only see Sound, Video and Game devices and the soundcard in
Device Manager in safe mode but not after normal startup. I have
installed the drivers for the Vortex2 PCI soundcard several times with
no errors. I use Win98se.
Can anyone please tell me what to do, I have spent days trying to
solve this problem?

Paul

Splendid

In article <182f0acb.0408301645.6ea3230e@posting.google.com>,
tuutana@hotmail.com (tuutana) wrote:

> Because of my mistake while making settings for a new videocard, my
> Bios settings went back to factory defaults and now my Aureal Vortex2
> PCI soundcard won't work anymore. My MB is Asus P3C2000 (i820). I have
> disabled Onboard AC97 Modem Controller, Onboard Game Port, Onboard
> MIDI I/O in Bios, do I have to disable Onboard AC97 Audio Controller
> too? There is no "Onboard Audio Legacy" in the Bios to disable. Also I
> have read that jumper 5 has to be moved to test mode but my MB is
> "jumper free". I have read that Soundblaster emulation has to be
> disabled in the Device Manager but there is no options or anything for
> SB.
> There also used to be instructions for disabling SB in
> www.vortexofsound.com but now that the company no longer exists the
> site is gone too.
> Before my settings went wrong and the soundcard was working ok, there
> was always a line seen during startup saying "error, sound blaster
> disabled".
> I can only see Sound, Video and Game devices and the soundcard in
> Device Manager in safe mode but not after normal startup. I have
> installed the drivers for the Vortex2 PCI soundcard several times with
> no errors. I use Win98se.
> Can anyone please tell me what to do, I have spent days trying to
> solve this problem?

If you go to http://web.archive.org, you can find a copy of many
web sites. Vortexofsound is here:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.vortexofsound.com

The latest link doesn't seem correct, but earlier ones seem
OK. Perhaps you can find your settings there.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030212112950/www.vortexofsound.com/techhelp/helpv2.htm

Paul