Sign in with
Your question

Error code: 0x80070570

Last response: in Windows 7
January 19, 2011 6:31:29 PM

I am trying to install Wind 7 from a DVD onto my new build PC. When expanding the files I get the captioned error and the process stops. I have read the forums on microsoft.com site but they are vague answers that I don't think aflict my setup, like memory issues or old drives since mine is a new build. What other issues could lead to this error?

Any suggestions would be very useful.

More about : error code 0x80070570

a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2011 7:25:44 PM

Hello ihameed46;

Error code: 0x80070570 might indicate a file error when trying to copy. It could be a bad optical (DVD) drive or a bad optical disk (DVD). Or that your DVD drive might have difficulty reading the DVD Disk. Possibly a DRM issue (such as wrong region code?).
January 19, 2011 8:49:12 PM

WR2 said:
Hello ihameed46;

Error code: 0x80070570 might indicate a file error when trying to copy. It could be a bad optical (DVD) drive or a bad optical disk (DVD). Or that your DVD drive might have difficulty reading the DVD Disk. Possibly a DRM issue (such as wrong region code?).

Hi WR2:

I have been using the same DVD drive for other work and not faced this problem. Can you think of any other hardware related issue other than a faulty disk or missing files on the DVD? Would missing files produce this error. I read on the Microsoft blog that someone doing what I am trying found that by deleting hidden temporary files he got rid of the problem. How does one get to the tmp files on an install like this. How does one make hidden files visible in the temporary files folder?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2011 9:02:59 PM

To make hidden files and folders visible.
Use the Start Menu and type hidden files in the Search Bar.
Under Control Panel heading chose Show hidden files and folder.
Check the proper radio button for showing hidden files folders and drives.

a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2011 11:32:31 PM

Nearly all installation problems like this are due to faulty memory. Windows 7 is very critical of the memory and a computer that can run windows XP may fail due to the memory when running or installing Windows 7. Run a memory test program such as memtest86 or even the Microsoft one provided on the Windows 7 installation disk.
January 20, 2011 11:53:29 AM

pjmelect said:
Nearly all installation problems like this are due to faulty memory. Windows 7 is very critical of the memory and a computer that can run windows XP may fail due to the memory when running or installing Windows 7. Run a memory test program such as memtest86 or even the Microsoft one provided on the Windows 7 installation disk.

Hi PJMELECT

Thanks for your suggestin. The memory modules are brand new CORSAIR XMS 4GB in 2GB sticks, as this is a new build computer. I believe memtest86 doesn't always show up bad memory. If I run it and it shows okay, what do I try then? I may be getting ahead of myself here but just want to know.
January 20, 2011 5:02:03 PM

Quote:
Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows installation disc. If your computer manufacturer has preinstalled recovery options, Startup Repair might also be installed on your hard disk. If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.

Do you have a OEM pc?

Hi Dadiggle,

No I don't have an OEM pc. At one point it used to be but I have changed so much hardware that it is not anymore. Also, it came with Windows XP so I would not have the Windows 7 as an OEM on the machine. It was originally bought back in the computing dark ages of 2003!
a b $ Windows 7
January 20, 2011 5:11:46 PM

You can try installing Windows or running the memory test with just one stick of memory installed to see if just one stick is faulty or your motherboard does not like running with two sticks.
January 20, 2011 7:31:10 PM

There are DVD cleaner discs available at a store like RadioShack, that will clean the lasar lens on your DVD drive. Also, if this doesn't work replace the drive with a new one. Could be a defective DVD drive.
January 24, 2011 9:35:28 AM

Quote:
Will that be from the original dvd or is it a iso image you burned onto it?

Original DVD!
January 25, 2011 2:08:54 PM

Quote:
Try and make a iso image of it and burn it onto a new disc. otherwise try another drive to check the disc on. then you can scan your hdd for errors as well. Who made your hdd?

The drive is a WD 500GB drive. Less than one month old.
!