lost cdRom drives

Dean

I have a cd rom drive (D) & a DVD drive (E) they came
with machine. Yesterday i played a game on my computer
via dvd drive, everything was fine. have not installed
anything (that i know about) and today my computer
doesn't "see either drive" i go to windows explore and
they are not there. I rebooted....nothing... I restored
to a previous restore point ...nothing.....i opened it up
and checked for loose connections they were fine. What
can i do to get back my drives? they have power cause i
can open them up and when i start up machine the lights
come on. Any help would be appreciated. I have XP home.

Thanks
Dean

If they are 'seen' in the BIOS and in the Device Manager, try Alex Nichol's
magic fix at:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"Dean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a cd rom drive (D) & a DVD drive (E) they came
> with machine. Yesterday i played a game on my computer
> via dvd drive, everything was fine. have not installed
> anything (that i know about) and today my computer
> doesn't "see either drive" i go to windows explore and
> they are not there. I rebooted....nothing... I restored
> to a previous restore point ...nothing.....i opened it up
> and checked for loose connections they were fine. What
> can i do to get back my drives? they have power cause i
> can open them up and when i start up machine the lights
> come on. Any help would be appreciated. I have XP home.
>
> Thanks
> Dean

Dean

they are not in device manager, how doi check bios?

To enter the BIOS it's a keypress on startup. However exactly which key to
press depends on your motherboard.... I've seen F1, F2, DEL, even F10 on
some PCs... so you'll have to check your motherboard manual... or PC manual
......or failing that, ask at the PC manufactuerer's website..
--

Dean wrote:
> I have a cd rom drive (D) & a DVD drive (E) they came
> with machine. Yesterday i played a game on my computer
> via dvd drive, everything was fine. have not installed
> anything (that i know about) and today my computer
> doesn't "see either drive" i go to windows explore and
> they are not there. I rebooted....nothing... I restored
> to a previous restore point ...nothing.....i opened it up
> and checked for loose connections they were fine. What
> can i do to get back my drives? they have power cause i
> can open them up and when i start up machine the lights
> come on. Any help would be appreciated. I have XP home.

Do NOT be afraid of the registry hack here.
It is SAFE and has helped MANY people.
Respect the registry, don't fear it.

1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

2) Open the Registry Editor:
a) Go to Start then select Run.
b) Type regedit and click OK.

3) Backup you registry by:
a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button.

4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
a) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

5) Restart your computer.

Or try this:

http://www.dougknox.com/

Select 'Windows Utilities' and scroll down to 'Restore CD/DVD drives to
Windows Explorer.'
Perhaps his utility will do the trick. =)

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi

Try the following link to MVP Doug Knox's web page

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Dean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I have a cd rom drive (D) & a DVD drive (E) they came
| with machine. Yesterday i played a game on my computer
| via dvd drive, everything was fine. have not installed
| anything (that i know about) and today my computer
| doesn't "see either drive" i go to windows explore and
| they are not there. I rebooted....nothing... I restored
| to a previous restore point ...nothing.....i opened it up
| and checked for loose connections they were fine. What
| can i do to get back my drives? they have power cause i
| can open them up and when i start up machine the lights
| come on. Any help would be appreciated. I have XP home.
|
| Thanks
| Dean

Dean

i tried it , didn't work