cleaning hard drive

Hello
Can anybody tell me how i can completely clear my
hard drive of everything so it is clear of all files etc
etc.I want to give puter to a charity but ensure nothing
is left on hard drive which can be recovered.Hope someone
out there in cyberland can help here.
cheers

Greetings --

To protect your personal information and data from any future
users of average skills, you should, at the very least, format the
hard drive and reinstall only the OS and those applications whose
licenses you are selling along with the computer. If you wish to do a
more thorough job of protecting your personal data, WipeDrive 2.2.1
(http://www.accessdata.com/Product07_Overview.htm?ProductNum=07) meets
U.S. DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard
drives, and should be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS
and applications.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you: