Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Flash Bios - best method?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2004 12:35:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hello,

I flashed the bios on my motherboard using the ASUS motherboard CD- provided
by asus. It seemed relatively straightforward and simple to use. I
downloaded and copied the aim file from asus- renamed it to P4P800.ROM and
followed the instructions on the CD... (I had previously tried to do it by
going to the bio setup screen but I couldn't find the option to flash the
bios)

When I booted up the computer I instead saw a blackscreen with the
Americanmegatrend? logo? - I can't remember what it was now.

It had a list of things but at the bottom of the list it had BAD CMOS - 1
goto setup or 2 load default settings. I chose 2.

Now everything seems OK- fingers crossed. I rebooted several times and
although the xp gui screen seems a few seconds slower than normal.
Everything seems alright.

I used the ASUS mb utility and it said that the bios is the new version.

Did I do it correctly?? I read that some people are advocating doing the
bios flash prior to the windows OS boot- ie in the bios setup screen. I did
try to do that but couldn't get anywhere.

Cheers!


I am using Windows XP Pro SP1 with all critical updates done (one by
one) Firewall is Zone Alarm Pro 5.1, Grisoft AVG. I also use Trojan Hunter,
Adware6, and TrendMicro's online scanner.

My computer system is a P4 3.0 Prescott, Asus P4P800S, 1G RAM,
PFUHL2keyboard, Geforce4Ti4800SE, Creative CDRW 32x, Sony DVDROM,
Mirage 400W powersupply, IntelliExplorer mouse. Cable modem - Motorola
SB5100.

More about : flash bios method

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2004 2:49:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

TheRedSunRiseth wrote:


> It had a list of things but at the bottom of the list it had BAD CMOS
> - 1 goto setup or 2 load default settings. I chose 2.

You probably get a CMOS checksum error because the CMOS data reflect the old
BIOS' configuration data, not the new one.
Or whatever.
When you chose th "load default settings", you did the right thing, you
loaded default CMOS data from BIOS, and that is a procedure that should be
performed after each BIOS flash.
Fine.

> Now everything seems OK- fingers crossed. I rebooted several times and
> although the xp gui screen seems a few seconds slower than normal.
> Everything seems alright.

If you have not changed any settings in BIOS, BIOS use default and often
slow parameters for your system.
Maybe you had your system tuned for more performance with your earlier BIOS.
Only way to check is to enter BIOS setup and go through the parameters,
changing to more performance-oriented values.
www.rojakpot.com is a good place to start if you do not know the meaning of
all the parameters.
Incorrect parameters can make your PC unstable.


> Did I do it correctly?? I read that some people are advocating doing
> the bios flash prior to the windows OS boot- ie in the bios setup
> screen. I did try to do that but couldn't get anywhere.

If the BIOS start screen and the utility shows that you're running the
latest BIOS, that is fine, and you must have done things correctly.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2004 4:04:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

> When I booted up the computer I instead saw a blackscreen with the
> Americanmegatrend? logo? - I can't remember what it was now.
>
> It had a list of things but at the bottom of the list it had BAD CMOS - 1
> goto setup or 2 load default settings. I chose 2.

This is normal... New BIOS means that the CMOS settings aren't good anymore.

After a flash you should use the jumper on the mainboard to reset the CMOS
settings to defaults and then go into the CMOS setup screen and adjust the
settings as required. The least you should do is go into the settings screen
and "load optimal" or "load failsafe".

BIOS updates aren't hard to do or dangerous, but if they fail or you grab
the wrong BIOS to start with it will most likely stop the computer from
working until you can get it fixed.
September 2, 2004 4:40:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 12:04:04 GMT, "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote:

>> When I booted up the computer I instead saw a blackscreen with the
>> Americanmegatrend? logo? - I can't remember what it was now.
>>
>> It had a list of things but at the bottom of the list it had BAD CMOS - 1
>> goto setup or 2 load default settings. I chose 2.
>
>This is normal... New BIOS means that the CMOS settings aren't good anymore.
>
>After a flash you should use the jumper on the mainboard to reset the CMOS
>settings to defaults and then go into the CMOS setup screen and adjust the
>settings as required.
Having flashed many a BIOS, I've never yet found it necessary to use
the mainboard jumper. I just return all settings to default BEFORE
the flash, then agree to defaults if I get a message asking for it
after the flash. If there is no message like that, I just enter setup
after the first boot and reset custom values.

>The least you should do is go into the settings screen
>and "load optimal" or "load failsafe".
I think under normal circumstances, this is all you should have to do.
>
>BIOS updates aren't hard to do or dangerous, but if they fail or you grab
>the wrong BIOS to start with it will most likely stop the computer from
>working until you can get it fixed.
Yup
>

Ron
!