what hardware is needed for networking with Windows 9x?

Hi,

For example, to get network neighbourhood to work, you
need a server. Does that mean you need to buy a server
machine eg from Dell, or get Windows Server 2003
(software, I know)? Without recabling (a DSL cable is very
expensive!) is there anymore hardware that is necessary,
other than two or more normal home PCs? If someone had a
fund limited to a few $1000, what would you recommend, if
anything, to do the whole Network neighbourhood thing
properly? Thanks in advance. frangepan.
9 answers Last reply
More about what hardware needed networking windows

    ur question in not clear if u just want to connect 2 computers and want to
    share files and other things without getting DSL.. and sharing DSL or dilup
    connection of one computer with both then u need two NIC (Network Interface
    Card ) or simply called Network Card. at least windows 98...

    Netwrok Card here in Pakisan Costs round about 10 to 15 US $............

    "frangepan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > For example, to get network neighbourhood to work, you
    > need a server. Does that mean you need to buy a server
    > machine eg from Dell, or get Windows Server 2003
    > (software, I know)? Without recabling (a DSL cable is very
    > expensive!) is there anymore hardware that is necessary,
    > other than two or more normal home PCs? If someone had a
    > fund limited to a few $1000, what would you recommend, if
    > anything, to do the whole Network neighbourhood thing
    > properly? Thanks in advance. frangepan.

    Thanks N,

    A Network Interface Card -- I'll check it out. As you
    probably guessed I don't know much about it, but I'm
    learning. Thanks again. frangepan.

    And a cross-over cable or simple hub/switch or router.

    "N" <kk@kk.co> wrote in message
    | ur question in not clear if u just want to connect 2
    computers and want to
    | share files and other things without getting DSL.. and
    sharing DSL or dilup
    | connection of one computer with both then u need two NIC
    (Network Interface
    | Card ) or simply called Network Card. at least windows
    98...

    | Netwrok Card here in Pakisan Costs round about 10 to 15 US
    $............

    | "frangepan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | > Hi,
    | >
    | > For example, to get network neighbourhood to work, you
    | > need a server. Does that mean you need to buy a server
    | > machine eg from Dell, or get Windows Server 2003
    | > (software, I know)? Without recabling (a DSL cable is
    very
    | > expensive!) is there anymore hardware that is necessary,
    | > other than two or more normal home PCs? If someone had a
    | > fund limited to a few $1000, what would you recommend,
    if
    | > anything, to do the whole Network neighbourhood thing
    | > properly? Thanks in advance. frangepan.

    Greetings --

    No server is necessary.

    You can set up a home network using whatever operating systems you
    like. There's absolutely no need to have the same OS on every
    computer on the network. It just takes a little planning and
    knowledge.

    Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

    Home Networking
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

    Networking Information
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

    PracticallyNetworked Home
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "frangepan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > For example, to get network neighbourhood to work, you
    > need a server. Does that mean you need to buy a server
    > machine eg from Dell, or get Windows Server 2003
    > (software, I know)? Without recabling (a DSL cable is very
    > expensive!) is there anymore hardware that is necessary,
    > other than two or more normal home PCs? If someone had a
    > fund limited to a few $1000, what would you recommend, if
    > anything, to do the whole Network neighbourhood thing
    > properly? Thanks in advance. frangepan.

    Check here:
    http://www.homepcnetwork.com/

    frangepan wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > For example, to get network neighbourhood to work, you
    > need a server. Does that mean you need to buy a server
    > machine eg from Dell, or get Windows Server 2003
    > (software, I know)? Without recabling (a DSL cable is very
    > expensive!) is there anymore hardware that is necessary,
    > other than two or more normal home PCs? If someone had a
    > fund limited to a few $1000, what would you recommend, if
    > anything, to do the whole Network neighbourhood thing
    > properly? Thanks in advance. frangepan.

    All you need for a 9x machine is a network card
    ethernet cable, and a crossover cable (for 2 PC's), or
    a hub if you have more than 2 PC's in your house.

    Or wireless PCI card, depending on whether you
    want ethernet, or wireless networking.

    If you want to use ICS (let the networked PC onto
    the Internet) on a 9x machine, you need 98 SE. (If
    this is the main PC). 95 and 98 don't have this option.

    NO you don't need a server just to use Network Neighbourhood. Just enable
    file/printer sharing on each machine, to share a printer or folder.

    And for each PC (the main one would be something
    like 192.168.0.1), the connected PC 192.168.0.2 etc.

    What version of Windows have you got on both
    Frangepan?? 9x?? XP? on one 9x on the other?

    You may need a router, if you have something like DSL
    or some form of high speed net access.

    "frangepan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > For example, to get network neighbourhood to work, you
    > need a server. Does that mean you need to buy a server
    > machine eg from Dell, or get Windows Server 2003
    > (software, I know)? Without recabling (a DSL cable is very
    > expensive!) is there anymore hardware that is necessary,
    > other than two or more normal home PCs? If someone had a
    > fund limited to a few $1000, what would you recommend, if
    > anything, to do the whole Network neighbourhood thing
    > properly? Thanks in advance. frangepan.

    Thanks Paul,

    We have 3 PCs: one running XP Home Edition, one running
    WIN98 and one running WIN95. They are in a sort of
    triangle, roughly 5 miles apart from each other. I want to
    somehow connect them, so that Bill, Jim, & Doris can all
    interact as they would in a professional multi-storey
    office building. Networking for Dummies says that Wireless
    PCI cards have a range of about 500 metres. I've heard
    differing views about Symantec's PCAnywhere as well. I was
    hoping to use Network Neighbourhood to link the 3 PCs, but
    the Entire Network window is empty; Network Properties are
    not available; and I don't know how to add PCs to the
    Network window in NN. I want to see Bill, Jim, and Doris'
    PC icons as well as a shared printer icon in the Network
    window of NN. The purpose of this is to replicate an
    office environment in a decentralised setup. If I know
    anything abpout this, it is that at least one computer has
    to act as a server, hence the reference to Dell, and
    Windows Server 2003 or the Small Business Server Premium
    Edition 2003. At the moment, we are trying dial-up
    networking, as the only solution we've found. Where do we
    go from here, I wonder. Thanks again. frangepan.

    Now you say it, 5 miles means you will need to spend some
    money and should get some professional network help.
    Ethernet with the best cable (fiber optics) has a range of
    less than 1/2 the distance you want.

    If you have a clear line of sight, you can get advance
    antennas, amplifiers and repeaters to make your own LAN.
    But it would be cheaper to call the local ISP and get cable
    or DSL and have them set-up a VPN for your "office."

    "frangepan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:1b86001c450da$882b2cc0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    | Thanks Paul,
    |
    | We have 3 PCs: one running XP Home Edition, one running
    | WIN98 and one running WIN95. They are in a sort of
    | triangle, roughly 5 miles apart from each other. I want to
    | somehow connect them, so that Bill, Jim, & Doris can all
    | interact as they would in a professional multi-storey
    | office building. Networking for Dummies says that Wireless
    | PCI cards have a range of about 500 metres. I've heard
    | differing views about Symantec's PCAnywhere as well. I was
    | hoping to use Network Neighbourhood to link the 3 PCs, but
    | the Entire Network window is empty; Network Properties are
    | not available; and I don't know how to add PCs to the
    | Network window in NN. I want to see Bill, Jim, and Doris'
    | PC icons as well as a shared printer icon in the Network
    | window of NN. The purpose of this is to replicate an
    | office environment in a decentralised setup. If I know
    | anything abpout this, it is that at least one computer has
    | to act as a server, hence the reference to Dell, and
    | Windows Server 2003 or the Small Business Server Premium
    | Edition 2003. At the moment, we are trying dial-up
    | networking, as the only solution we've found. Where do we
    | go from here, I wonder. Thanks again. frangepan.

    5 miles from each other? I take it these
    3 PC's aren't in the same house? Do you mean 5
    feet, or other?

    BUT if they are in the same house, the following applies.

    OK well if you want all to go onto the net
    Use XP, as the main PC (and make sure it has
    a modem in it... Make the dialup info for your ISP
    then create a shortcut to the desktop.

    Then once the shortcut has been created, double click
    on the dialup icon/properties/advanced and tick Allow
    other network users to connect thru this computer's
    internet connection. (And tick the firewall as well)
    if you don't have another firewall installed to be safe.

    As 95 and 98 dont have Internet Connection sharing.

    You NEED a hub, since you have 3 computers. If you're using ethernet as the
    network you need to go to a PC shop and ask for an ethernet HUB. You don't
    need PC anywhere, if all 3 PC's are in the same house. Either wireless or
    ethernet cables.. You HAVE to make SURE
    all 3 have the same WORKGROUP name (ie:MSHOME). You can give each PC any
    name you
    want. Then you have to enable file/printer sharing
    on each, so they can see each other in Network
    Neighbourhood / My network places in XP.

    Let me know whether u meant 5 miles or 5 feet?

    "frangepan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Paul,
    >
    > We have 3 PCs: one running XP Home Edition, one running
    > WIN98 and one running WIN95. They are in a sort of
    > triangle, roughly 5 miles apart from each other. I want to
    > somehow connect them, so that Bill, Jim, & Doris can all
    > interact as they would in a professional multi-storey
    > office building. Networking for Dummies says that Wireless
    > PCI cards have a range of about 500 metres. I've heard
    > differing views about Symantec's PCAnywhere as well. I was
    > hoping to use Network Neighbourhood to link the 3 PCs, but
    > the Entire Network window is empty; Network Properties are
    > not available; and I don't know how to add PCs to the
    > Network window in NN. I want to see Bill, Jim, and Doris'
    > PC icons as well as a shared printer icon in the Network
    > window of NN. The purpose of this is to replicate an
    > office environment in a decentralised setup. If I know
    > anything abpout this, it is that at least one computer has
    > to act as a server, hence the reference to Dell, and
    > Windows Server 2003 or the Small Business Server Premium
    > Edition 2003. At the moment, we are trying dial-up
    > networking, as the only solution we've found. Where do we
    > go from here, I wonder. Thanks again. frangepan.

Hardware Windows Server 2003 Networking Windows XP