Reading UDF CD-R disk w/XP

I burned a CD on my laptop using Adaptec Easy CD creator
version 4. I used the Directcd program to drag and drop
the files directly onto my cd (in a UDF v 1.5 format),
and I left the cd open so I could add more files later.
Then I tried to open the files on my pc (using my CD
rewritable drive) which doesn't have any of the Adaptec
software, and XP won't recognize the disk. I went to the
roxio web site and downloaded the "UDF reader"
(udfread_v5.1.1.213_inst.exe) and XP still will not
recognize the disk. Is there any way I can make XP read
this disk, other than by purchasing a recovery program
like IsoBuster or CDRoller (both of these programs easily
read the disk)? I don't have the Adaptec software cd,
and the roxio website seems worthless.

Anybody have a free solution? Thanks!!
6 answers Last reply
More about reading disk

    Purchase Adaptec Easy CD Creator. That's the easy solution. How did you
    get Easy CD Creator on your laptop?

    "Dan" <fewmorepics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I burned a CD on my laptop using Adaptec Easy CD creator
    > version 4. I used the Directcd program to drag and drop
    > the files directly onto my cd (in a UDF v 1.5 format),
    > and I left the cd open so I could add more files later.
    > Then I tried to open the files on my pc (using my CD
    > rewritable drive) which doesn't have any of the Adaptec
    > software, and XP won't recognize the disk. I went to the
    > roxio web site and downloaded the "UDF reader"
    > (udfread_v5.1.1.213_inst.exe) and XP still will not
    > recognize the disk. Is there any way I can make XP read
    > this disk, other than by purchasing a recovery program
    > like IsoBuster or CDRoller (both of these programs easily
    > read the disk)? I don't have the Adaptec software cd,
    > and the roxio website seems worthless.
    >
    > Anybody have a free solution? Thanks!!

    Easy CD creator came w/my external cdwriter for my
    laptop. I don't have the disk any more, so I was looking
    for a different solution than to purchase it again.

    Roxio has UDF reader free downloads. If you still have the
    external drive with EZCD installed, you can download the
    whole update and it should install.

    Just a general question, why do so many people lose their
    software and expect to get it replaced for free?

    | Easy CD creator came w/my external cdwriter for my
    | laptop. I don't have the disk any more, so I was looking
    | for a different solution than to purchase it again.

    First, when a CD was formatted using DirectCD v3 or 4, a UDF driver was
    written to the CD for upload to a different host computer, so it might be
    read by the computer. So, Adaptec foresaw the situation, and provided a
    solution.

    Unfortunately, those versions are not compatible with XP, and any attempt to
    install the driver on an XP system will cause a myriad of problems with NO
    prior warning, which are solvable only via a tedious uninstall process that
    is NOT covered in any SINGLE help file from Roxio. I had to use a
    combination of 4 articles from Roxio and Microsoft to find the right
    combination of uninstall processes, and then had to re-install my DVD/CD
    burning software -- NOT Roxio!

    I could find NO update on the Roxio web site from a packaged version of
    EZ-CD / DirectCD v3 / 4 to a current (XP-compliant) version.

    Likely you will have to find a friend without XP, load the driver on the
    older OS, and copy the CD to a regular non-UDF format. Then get a current
    CD/DVD app with DLA (Drive Letter Access), such as Sonic MyCD.

    "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote...
    > Roxio has UDF reader free downloads. If you still have the
    > external drive with EZCD installed, you can download the
    > whole update and it should install.

    > <fewmorepics@yahoo.com> wrote...
    >| Easy CD creator came w/my external cdwriter for my
    >| laptop. I don't have the disk any more, so I was looking
    >| for a different solution than to purchase it again.

    Try this
    http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv4.jhtml#udf
    UDF VOLUME READER

    This file is for users that do not own a copy of Easy
    CD Creator and just want to read discs that have been
    written in UDF.
    The UDF Reader (version 5.1.1.213) is included with
    DirectCD 5.1, so if you have Easy CD Creator Platinum 5.1 or
    Basic version 5.11 or later you do not need to download this
    file.

    Enables some MultiRead CD-ROM drives to read UDF
    formatted CD-RW discs (such as those written with DirectCD)
    under Windows 95, 98 and 98 SE, Windows NT 4.0 SP3 or higher
    and Windows 2000/XP.

    Once installed, you do not need to take any special
    steps to activate the UDF Reader; it is constantly active in
    the background, waiting for you to mount a UDF disc. This is
    a free download for the convenience of users who do not own
    Easy CD Creator. However, Roxio only provides technical
    support for the UDF Reader if you purchased Easy CD Creator,
    and have a valid Tech Support ID (TSID) that came with the
    product. If you do not have Easy CD Creator, we do not
    provide technical support for this product.

    download
    udfread_v5.1.1.213_inst.exe -(540KB)

    "John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@.comNOSPAMcast.net> wrote in
    message news:un616CnUEHA.2944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | First, when a CD was formatted using DirectCD v3 or 4, a
    UDF driver was
    | written to the CD for upload to a different host computer,
    so it might be
    | read by the computer. So, Adaptec foresaw the situation,
    and provided a
    | solution.
    |
    | Unfortunately, those versions are not compatible with XP,
    and any attempt to
    | install the driver on an XP system will cause a myriad of
    problems with NO
    | prior warning, which are solvable only via a tedious
    uninstall process that
    | is NOT covered in any SINGLE help file from Roxio. I had
    to use a
    | combination of 4 articles from Roxio and Microsoft to find
    the right
    | combination of uninstall processes, and then had to
    re-install my DVD/CD
    | burning software -- NOT Roxio!
    |
    | I could find NO update on the Roxio web site from a
    packaged version of
    | EZ-CD / DirectCD v3 / 4 to a current (XP-compliant)
    version.

    | Likely you will have to find a friend without XP, load the
    driver on the
    | older OS, and copy the CD to a regular non-UDF format.
    Then get a current
    | CD/DVD app with DLA (Drive Letter Access), such as Sonic
    MyCD.

    | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote...
    | > Roxio has UDF reader free downloads. If you still have
    the
    | > external drive with EZCD installed, you can download the
    | > whole update and it should install.
    |
    | > <fewmorepics@yahoo.com> wrote...
    | >| Easy CD creator came w/my external cdwriter for my
    | >| laptop. I don't have the disk any more, so I was
    looking
    | >| for a different solution than to purchase it again.

    begin 666 spacer.gif
    K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
    `
    end

    begin 666 download.gif
    M1TE&.#EA$0`0`+,``/_KUO_AQ/_?P/_W\/_"A?_>O?^S9__$B?_Y]/^A0O_V
    M[?^;-__:M?^9,____P```"'Y! ``````+ `````1`! ```1#T,E)JW4#:#WN
    M9$T8,IX$B@U9GJ+JL6/IP*E,N]1P$ ;:&(2#HE)8^$*+PD5@1"T$):;H*7,$
    /C(M 51)(:+<2!'@;`0`[
    `
    end

    Depends on whether your disk is CDRW (rewritable) or non-rewritable.
    If non-rewritable, and you left it open ("ejected as is"), it will be readable
    only in a compatible CDRW drive *with Roxio Drag to Disc installed*
    (this is new name of DirectCD in v.6).
    Probably, an UDF reader driver is not enough in this case.

    CRDW disks are automatically closed on eject so they will read in
    most CD drives, with UDF reader driver. On the other hand, CDRW media is more fragile
    and tends to corrupt during storage...

    --PA

    "Dan" <fewmorepics@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1be0001c450ff$226937e0$a001280a@phx.gbl...
    > I burned a CD on my laptop using Adaptec Easy CD creator
    > version 4. I used the Directcd program to drag and drop
    > the files directly onto my cd (in a UDF v 1.5 format),
    > and I left the cd open so I could add more files later.
    > Then I tried to open the files on my pc (using my CD
    > rewritable drive) which doesn't have any of the Adaptec
    > software, and XP won't recognize the disk. I went to the
    > roxio web site and downloaded the "UDF reader"
    > (udfread_v5.1.1.213_inst.exe) and XP still will not
    > recognize the disk. Is there any way I can make XP read
    > this disk, other than by purchasing a recovery program
    > like IsoBuster or CDRoller (both of these programs easily
    > read the disk)? I don't have the Adaptec software cd,
    > and the roxio website seems worthless.
    >
    > Anybody have a free solution? Thanks!!

Adaptec CD-Rom Windows XP