Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Xcopy hides my destination file

Last response: in Windows 7
January 19, 2011 7:22:28 PM

I did a backup of my data drive(G: ), and the backed up files are now hidden on the destination disk.

First I created a new folder (called "BACKUP_FILM")on the destination disk(Q: ). Then I used the XCOPY command to copy my data from the source disk:

xcopy G:\ Q:\BACKUP_FILM /D /E /C /R /H /I /K /Y
pause

Some how or another, the Q:\BACKUP_FILM folder becomes hidden. Sure, it's a minor irritant since I can see the hidden files anyway, but does anyone know how to fix this and prevent it from happening?

I found the function 'attrib' but do I need to call this function for each backup?

EXAMPLE:

xcopy G:\ Q:\BACKUP_FILM /D /E /C /R /H /I /K /Y
attrib /d /s -h -s Q:\BACKUP_FILM
pause

a c 395 $ Windows 7
January 19, 2011 7:48:17 PM

is this a copy software?
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
January 19, 2011 7:50:29 PM

IF THIS IS DVD XCOPY WE CAN'T HELP YOU!
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2011 8:10:40 PM

To copy all files from one drive or folder to another in dos I would use ..

xcopy g:\*.* q:\back_film /e /c /r /k /y

This will copy everything found on g: to folder keeping original folder structure, ignoring errors, overwriting read-only files while removing attribute and supressing confirmation prompt.

It's always best to use the short filename, when using dos based commands.
January 19, 2011 8:41:16 PM

das_stig said:
To copy all files from one drive or folder to another in dos I would use ..

xcopy g:\*.* q:\back_film /e /c /r /k /y

This will copy everything found on g: to folder keeping original folder structure, ignoring errors, overwriting read-only files while removing attribute and supressing confirmation prompt.

It's always best to use the short filename, when using dos based commands.

Thx, i'll try it!
m
l
January 20, 2011 3:33:01 PM

Best answer selected by cecd2401.
m
l
January 20, 2011 3:34:13 PM

No, I don't have system files, only data. Thx for your help!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 21, 2011 8:12:16 AM

If this is something that you do regularly, you might like to investigate "robocopy". It's a much more robust and versatile version of xcopy that is included with Windows 7.
m
l
January 22, 2011 3:58:08 AM

Ok, i just read a lot about robotcopy, and it is a very powerfull tool. The problem with powerfull tool, is that we have a lot of option. So, if i want to do this with robocopy:

xcopy g:\*.* q:\backup /e /c /r /k /y

Can i use :

robocopy g:\*.* q:\backup /MIR

What I need is a simple backup of data. Once done, I want to make a backup that selects the file that were changed. I try to understand how to use / copyall and / MIR, but what I did with xcopy seemed good to me.

Any suggestion of simple option to use with robocopy?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2011 7:29:34 AM

Have a look at this link. It gives a good example script for backing up a server, along with details of all the options.

m
l
!